A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,096
Currently Running With Scissors:
682 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: What's your knitting phobia?  (Read 1606 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

crnaofca
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2006 01:17:20 PM »

dpns and seaming. i do everything with magic loop, and top down, so i don't have to seam anything... i was making some cell phone cozy the other day, instead of making a rectangular and seaming edges, i made tube and grafted the bottom! it could be done in 30 minutes, and it took 2 hours cause i made it on circulars, and all those grafting... uh, i should learn how to sew things:(
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Candy doesn't have to have a point. That's why it's candy.
~~~~~~
Will knit for PJ pants:) PM me:)
~~~~~~
Anyone interested in swapping Steve Jackson's "Munchkin" custom cards?
canarysanctuary
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2006 01:28:42 PM »

I'm a bit intimidated by entrelac (probably because I haven't researched how its done).  I want to get over those fears by knitting up the "Lady Elenor" stole from Scarf Style (so beautiful!)  Other than that, frogging is frightening! I'll do almost anything to avoid it.  Even settle for a garment with (minor) flaws.  I'll just call them bits of "my personal touches" added in to the garment!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I am because my little bird knows me."
http://canaryknits.blogspot.com/

"Gentlemen! We can't *all* be the Honey-Nut Cheerios honeybee!" -Crow
MmmKnits
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2006 02:08:57 PM »

I hear you all on the seaming. It's not that I'm afraid of it, per se--it's that I'm afraid of doing it wrong. Like I'll sew the sleeve to the shoulder and it'll look wonky and need to be taken off and redone. Possibly multiple times. It does not help that this has actually happened to me in the past. Sigh.

Mostly, though, I'm afraid of colorwork of any kind. So I decided to cut my teeth by making my grandmother a Fair Isle cardigan for Christmas, and have told practically everyone I know about this plan so I can't back out. I'm hoping some good old-fashioned peer pressure will light a fire under me.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bijouxmaster
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2006 03:25:19 PM »

I agree with all the seaming comments.  Well said, Mmmknits - it's not SCARED so much as being wrong  - I think that is the perfectionist in all of us. 

My current one is fair isle but usually when I have a knitting fear I face it.  I have learned that once I get into a project there is very few things that I can't figure out or find on the internet or ask my knitting group or internet groups about.  Support is the key here! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bespectacled
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2006 03:44:25 PM »

I'm scared of short rows cause I always screw them up. Badly.
I got over my fear of cables and seaming.. I also need to tackle colorwork but I'm more excited to take the chance and time to try it versus being scared.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Imagination is the beginning of creation. You imagine what you desire, you will what you imagine and at last you create what you will. - George Bernard Shaw
starlight1221
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2006 04:44:53 PM »

I hear you all on the seaming. It's not that I'm afraid of it, per se--it's that I'm afraid of doing it wrong. Like I'll sew the sleeve to the shoulder and it'll look wonky and need to be taken off and redone. Possibly multiple times. It does not help that this has actually happened to me in the past. Sigh.

God, I swear that happens to me every time I seam.  I honestly don't mind seaming something the first time around, it's the second, third, and fourth times that make me want to break something. 

Otherwise, it'd have to be small needles.  They hurt my fingers, and stuff on them takes ages to knit. 

And breaking needles.  I had these ultrasmooth, plastic, awesome sz 10's.  They were used, and not sold in stores anymore.  And I broke one in half because I was pulling too hard on a heavy project.

Oh, and wooden needles.  THOSE are definately a phobia and not just a annoyance.  I don't care how well polished or sanded they are, for me, wood=splinters.  I mean, I got splinters in my ass once from my school's bleachers, so I don't take any chances. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
zombienerd
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2006 05:50:59 PM »

i fear dropping stitches...even though i'm pretty good at picking them back up again, i worry that this time i won't be able to and then i'll have to frog back...which is my dreaded fear because i have NEVER been able to correctly fix something once i frogged back and end up having to frog the whole thing!! arrrrhhr!  all those hours!

also, i don't know if its so much a fear, but i DETEST picking up stitches, if a pattern says to pu X number of stitches, i am tempted not to do that pattern, unless i really really want the thing.  Tongue

i actually don't mind seaming, unless its shoulders to sleeves...i always mess it up!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
m*babylon

you can't get there from here

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2006 07:55:03 PM »

set-in sleeves.  scared shitless of set-in sleeves.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

just a city boy, born & raised in south detroit
he took the midnight train going anywhere...
uplate6674
Professional Insomniac

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2006 09:37:23 PM »

Seaming! I have two sweaters that are finished except for seaming.

And color work of any kind. I can't figure out what's meant by carrying colors for stripes up the sides or using slip stitches to make faux-complicated color patterns. I guess this is one thing that I'll have to be taught in person.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Im wide awake
Wide awake
Im not sleeping
Oh, no, no, no"

-U2
jlyarnworks
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2006 11:04:21 PM »

Steeking. Just the idea of cutting up something you've spent hours on. Even though in theory I know it'll work...I just don't know if I can bring myself to do it.

Then again, I love knitting in the round. Maybe one day I'll just bite the bullet and do it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Your Own Soap
Best Blushes For Different Skin Tones
Katy Perry Shares Beauty Routine
The Ultimate Summer Survival Guide for Looking and Feeling Great
Nail Your Next Night Out With the Glitter Ombre Trend
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...