A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 297,023
Currently Running With Scissors:
456 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Fused Glass?  (Read 1428 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

seashelle
« on: August 01, 2006 06:06:16 AM »

Okay I'm relatively a newbie here and quite addicted to this site. I absolutely love it! Thing is..I would love to know how to make fused glass and am absolutely clueless in this area. I was wondering if there is a tutorial posted or better yet if someone has a couple of pieces to sell or trade. I appreciate all responses. Thanks so much.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SonjaBoo
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Bring it on

Napper extraordinaire

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2006 06:45:56 AM »

The cheapest way to experiment with fused glass is to take a class-- it will still be expensive, but generally the class will supply the kiln, instruction, and materials.  Check out local artists or schools in your area!  Then if you decide that you really love it and want to continue, then you can consider whether or not you want to invest further.   Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

seashelle
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2006 02:56:31 AM »

wow Matthew...those are awesome! I may have to look into those sheets in the near future. Thanks so much.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
HeyVern
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2006 01:05:27 PM »

Oh! if you want to do fused glass, do it with real glass and real dichroic.

If you take a class, you will love it and end up buying all the supplies without blinking an eye.

My etsy shop is all fused glass because I started as a hobbie, then had hundreds of pieces.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.thecraftykind.etsy.com   Fused Glass Beads and findings
http://www.bungalowbettie.etsy.com   adult coloring book
ooak_diva
Livin' La Vida Loca

Champagne Dreams on a Beer Budget.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2006 04:08:02 PM »

The advice you rec'd on taking a class is dead-on.  I love working with glass and have just grown in my art form.  Best Wishes to you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

charmcity
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2006 03:32:05 PM »

I agree that taking a class is the best way to begin.  I just took one this spring.  It's a lot of fun.  Check out any stained glass-type stores in your area.  They often have classes like that.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TickleTickle
My Kids...My Life

One in 150Children have Autism. I am blessed. <3

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2006 04:09:57 AM »

OOOH!  yes, definitely take a class!  You'll love it.  Glass is a fascinating medium.  Opening a kiln is like opening a present...you really don't know what's inside!

And definitely don't waste your time with "faux" stuff.  There's absolutely nothing that looks like fused dichroic, except fused dichroic!

GOOD luck! 

Go gettem!

Smiley

Karen
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PinkyK
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2006 11:10:19 AM »

I agree with what everyone said.  Go take a class. I actually just started my second run in a glass fusing class at the local university.  This way I get seven weeks of kiln and materials use (band saw, grinders, fritz, stringers, scraps...etc) plus get to make seven (or more) items just for the class!

I'll go to a local glass shop and buy fuseable glass and the university will let me use their tools and scraps fire and slump it for me. I brought home five pieces last night and the class assignment was  only to make two! WOOO WHOOO!

I want to buy a kiln but I just don't have any place to put it! Well...not anyplace kiln safe that is! Because of course I want a HUGE one and that requires special wiring and a vent hood.....so I'm going to stick with FSU for now.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Playing Darts - Equipment
Playing Darts - Basics
Learn how to Make Henna and the Henna Cone
Ring of Fire - Easy Acoustic Rhythm Guitar Lesson
Revolution Easy Acoustic Rhythm Guitar Lesson
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt
More Great Crafts Using Cardboard Tubes
Meatless Monday: No Meat Lasagna

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...