A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 302,055
Currently Running With Scissors:
413 Guests and 3 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: 3D Beaded Bat – with pics and tutorial  (Read 5601 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sophieangele
Two-headed girl

lacing fingers through the notches of your spine

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: August 01, 2006 04:27:39 AM »

3D Beaded Bat – with pics and tutorial

I had a bad bout of insomnia last night, so what to do? Figure out how to bead a bat, that’s what.

This is the end product:

http://img226.imageshack.us/img226/4338/finishedbatfrontuh4.jpg

I used:
Size 8 seed beads BROWN (main color)
3 black magatama drops, for eyes and nose
Two brown drops (part of the ears)
Nymo D thread + beeswax
Beading needle

Wings:
28 guage wire
Unknown guage, but quite thick and sturdy, wire
Assortment of small black beads.

I think the wings look a bit not-quite-right – I’m working on a pattern in seed beads, but I’m quite busy at the moment, so it may take a while.

I think he’s pretty cute though Smiley

On to the Tute:

Step 1
Start by threading three brown beads on to your thread (about a meters worth), sliding them to the end (leave a 6inch tail), and tying them together securely in a circle (picture a). Go through the next bead.

Step 2
Add 2 bead in each gap – 6 altogether. So, you exit one bead from the first round, then thread on 2 new beads, and then you go through the next bead from the first round. See picture b.

Step 3
Add a new bead between each bead threaded on in step 2 – 6 in total
(each row like this is called a round, by the way)

Step 4
Add two new beads between each bead added in the last round. (picture c)

Step 5
For the next two round, add one new bead between each bead from the last round.

You’ve built the base, hooray!

Sides:
Now you’ve got the hang of rounds (adding the next row by adding beads in between the last row’s beads), the sequence for the sides is:

1 per gap (tension quite tight here)
Alternate between 2 and 1 bead per gap
(by now you should see it looks like a little basket – picture d)

You get a nice tall basket by here (pictures e and f)

1 every other gap, sewing through the other gap, pulling it.
(see diagram below at this point to explain the last two rows)

You are creating the neck, picture g

in a minute you will start flaring out for the head :
1 between every bead from the last round

1 every other, three times. Then, one in every gap, to build the muzzle at one end. This row adds 9 beads in total
Picture i -
2 beads between the first 3 gaps (the ones made by ‘skipping’ gaps (sewing through them)in the last round
(diagram explains)

at this point, don’t make your tension too tight

Step up through the two beads that started the row.

Next row, add beads in the gaps as follows: 2, 2, 2, 1, 1, 1 black drop, 1, 1, 2. Step up. (picture j)

Next row: 2, 2, 1, 1, skip, skip, 1, 1, 2

Next: 1, 1, 1, black drop, 2*, 1 black drop, 1, 1, step up
* skip the black nose bead, pinching the nose and making it pointy

Next: 2, 1 (you go through the first eye here), 2 (between the eyes), 1, 2, 1. Step up
Adjust the drops so that the black eye bit faces out.

Next: 1 every gap
Next: skip, 1, skip, 1, skip, 1.

Go back through the 3 beads you just added, pulling them together in a circle. Go round a couple of times to close up the top of the head. (picture  L)

Finishing off:

To make the ears –
With the eyes and nose towards you, exit the back right bead in the top triangle of the head. This should be above the gap between 2 beads.
Go through the 2 beads, from back to front. These will form the base of the ears.

Directly on top of the 2 beads, sew a brown bead, a brown drop and a brown bead in a loop: http://img154.imageshack.us/img154/5817/diagram5tr4.jpg

It should look like this:
http://img226.imageshack.us/img226/6656/step13ax9.jpg

Do the same thing on the other side. You’ve add the the ears!

The body is now finished – weave in the thread, then secure with a surgeon’s knot. Don’t cut the thread though if you’ve still got quite a bit left, because you’ll use it to sew on the wings.

Wing Instructions:

I tried a couple of things, the neatest seemed to be wire-wrapping. Eventually I’d like to do them in beads, in brick stitch, but I’ve got a lot on my plate, so don’t hold your breath.

Wire-wrapped wings:

Take your thick wire and bend it into bat-wing shapes. Twist it to secure, then cut the wire (pictured)
http://img226.imageshack.us/img226/1900/wingsstep1tt5.jpg

Take your thin wire (28 guage – don’t be lazy like me, and just use beadalon, it’ more trouble than it’s worth.). tie/wrap it on to the thick wire shape, and start to wrap a sort of random criss-cross of wire along the frame of the wings. Tie the wire if you need to to secure it along the wire.

Once you have a criss-crossing, you can keep doing the same thing, but with a few beads on too. I used a variety of black beads, spaced out along the wire. Add as many or few as you wish. I reckon if you did this neatly, the bat wings would make a neat pendant in themselves.

http://img226.imageshack.us/img226/3579/wingsstep2zr6.jpg

Using the thread still in the body, sew the wings on at an appropriate height – I did it at the neck, that way the shape helps to hold them.

And the finished effect:

http://img226.imageshack.us/img226/4338/finishedbatfrontuh4.jpg

Hope you like! Comments/criticism very welcome
« Last Edit: June 18, 2011 10:34:26 AM by TheSapphireMoon » THIS ROCKS   Logged

kaleesi
Craftaholic

Rae'Lynn Grace - 5 months old

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2006 04:35:07 AM »

No way - that is tooo cool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
and cute!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have a gorgeous granddaughter Smiley

Not allowed to craft without supervision Wink
God is big enough.....
crazydoc
"Never, ever give up" - Winston Churchill "Never, ever grow up" - Dr. Seuss

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2006 05:02:21 AM »

SUPER DUPER TUTORIAL!

I dub thee: QUEEN TUTORIAL Smiley

Hope you can get some rest. I'm all too familiar with insomnia, and it can be very, very frustrating.

~CD~

p.s. Do you think he could be turned into a bunny or hampster if I added ears, or maybe a bird if the wings were differently shaped???
« Last Edit: August 01, 2006 06:06:47 AM by crazydoc » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Shhhhhhhhh...it's Strictly Top Secret...
strictlytopsecret.etsy.com
RubyTuesday
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2006 06:04:46 AM »

Aww he's lovely! did he take long to make?  Did you make him for the craftster tiny craft challenge?
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=104749.0 if not you should enter him if he's small enough, i bet he'd get loads of votes  Grin and if he's a bit big maybe he could have a baby brother!!

..is it just me I can't see some of the pics, including the finished one!! so i'm having to imagine him and his wings as one!!
« Last Edit: August 01, 2006 06:07:05 AM by RubyTuesday » THIS ROCKS   Logged

sophieangele
Two-headed girl

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2006 07:27:16 AM »

thanks everyone Smiley

No, I didn't actually know about the challenge, but he does just fit into 2x2, so I might actually enter him, thanks! I actually made him in response to a post in the 'discussions' section where someone asked for a beaded bat, but none was forthcoming. So I thought, 'I could do that!'

If you wanted to do him in size 9s or 11s instead of 8s he'd be even smaller.

Sorry about the pics - they appear on my computer ok, I dunno what has gone wrong Sad I can email pics though, or here is a link to the finished article - http://img226.imageshack.us/img226/4338/finishedbatfrontuh4.jpg

thanks guys Smiley

edit: ooh, and crazydoc:

Do you think he could be turned into a bunny or hampster if I added ears, or maybe a bird if the wings were differently shaped???

hehe, I ws just thinking I could turn him into a kitty actually! I reckon he could be anything - he's pretty generic really.

You could also get pointy leaf-shape beads that you could play around with. And a bunny tail could be made with a pearl bead at the back or something.

For the bird - shape the wings differently, and instead of using a black drop for the nose, use a daggar bead that is pierced through the 'blunt' end, so the long pointy bit faces outwards. It looks like a beak. Also, you could make wire wings that could be sewn on the sides if you liked, then a wire tail at the back, pr do them in flat peyote or brick.

I'd love to see what you come up with!
« Last Edit: August 01, 2006 07:55:18 AM by sophieangele » THIS ROCKS   Logged

crazydoc

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2006 06:08:58 PM »

Just got done (possibly) with the "base" part for my creature. I'm not sure what she's going to be yet, but I'd love to make a monkey. She'd require a tail, but how hard could that be? For me, probably pretty hard. LOL! I'm not even sure how to do this "basket" part, or even if I've got the "base" right (how many beads in total are in a "base"Huh... mine came out to 40, accorinding to my hubby's count).

How about this for a silly idea? What if I put a little jingle bell type thing and enclose it within the basket? It could make a fun little toy for the 8 year old for whom I care during the day. Her little brother (age 5) might like it, too! She ADORES these toys called "littlest pet shop", and I think she might like something like this, too.

Anyway, I so appreciate the help. I'm excited about this fun little project. I only had itty bitty brown beads, so she's going to be mighty small, but hopefully nearly as adorable a your litltle bat.

Thanks!
~CD~

p.s. If you don't mind flielding more questions, may post some "in process" pics so you can coach??

p.p.s. I tried it with some bigger blue beads I had, and used black nymo. I used transite on the a tiny brown one that looked sloppy. ... I'm realizing I'm VERY VERY not good at this. LOL!

Holy cow it actually is starting to look almost like a tiny basket or a nest! I am STUNNED. I'm just now getting to the part where you do 2-1-2-1, so I'm wondering if I can pull that off. Time will tell!

Phoo..basket got a little taller, but I ran out of thread in addition to losing my place. DRAT!!!

I'm going to try again tomorrow. I think I'll make the "rounds" in different colors. That way she'll have funny stripes when I'm done, PLUS, maybe when the OP wakes up (I'm hoping she can get some rest), she could more easily see where I'm messing it up Smiley
« Last Edit: August 01, 2006 08:21:17 PM by crazydoc » THIS ROCKS   Logged

RubyTuesday
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2006 12:06:07 AM »

...No, I didn't actually know about the challenge, but he does just fit into 2x2, so I might actually enter him, thanks! I actually made him in response to a post in the 'discussions' section where someone asked for a beaded bat, but none was forthcoming. So I thought, 'I could do that!'...

Yay!  I hope you enter him for the comp, he'll get my vote, I've tried to view him through your link but it keeps timing out, i can't wait to see him with his gorgeous little wings on  Grin

I'm tempted to have a go but i'm not sure i'm ready for tiny beading yet, I keep signing up for craft swaps on here and always seem to have a list of things that i need to craft for people!

...and OMG at the 'i can do that ' comment!!  until now i thought i was the only one!!  Grin  I all too often find myself looking at things and think 'i can do that' and once i've thought those four little words i'm a crafter on a mission, there's no going back!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sophieangele
Two-headed girl

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2006 02:56:03 AM »

crazydoc -

I'm quite happy to answer any questions, I'll do my best! What you've done so far looks great, but it is easy to lose your place. For your first time to make it easier, it helps to use bigger beads, try doing the round in different colours as you say, and try and do it all in one thread - I think I used a 1.5 meter length (bit less than 2 yards). but I know that it can be hard to work with so much thread - just make sure it's conditioned.

Putting a bell in would be so cute! Maybe the wings would be better being glued with epoxy resin if it's going to go to a child, they might tear off if just sewn?

a monkey tail could be done with wire maybe, so you could pose it?

as an idea

a monkey would also need little seedbeads for nostrils rather than a big nose. Have fun experimenting though Smiley

Don't lose heart, first time I tried, I ended up adding a bead in a strange place and messing up my rounds. I found the next time was much better, and it was helpful to use matt beads because I could see better. Sorry my tutorial is giving you angst! I'll do my best to help though.

Ruby Tuesday -

Thanks, that is really sweet of you!

yes, I'm like a woman possessed sometimes Cheesy When you get the beading bug, there's no going back! Nice to know I'm not the only one with a crafty 'to-do' list the length of the Eiffel Tower!

cheers Smiley

THIS ROCKS   Logged

devilninny

isnt he adorable?

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2006 04:17:50 AM »

yes, enter him!  he is the cutest!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

crazydoc

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2006 04:36:05 PM »

Holy cow you're a clever one!

I am working on a "practice" one right now. I'm doing the rounds in alternating colors, so that I can continue to take pics, and maybe you can advise some more, if you're willing? I let the 8-year-old for whom I care play with the "nest"/basket this morning, and it came loose. LOL! She had threaded it onto some elasic cord and was toting around one of her littlest pet shop toys in it. LOL! Was cute tho.

The monkey tail addition with anticipatory tutorial is GRAND! I so so so appreciate this! I'm almost done with the "base" part (I'm using pink and yellow, so he'll be a mighty strange looking monkey when I'm done...LOL).

Happily-beading-away,
~CD~

p.s. I hope you got some rest, Miss Sophie
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Pinterest Pick: Apple Rose Baked Tart With Caramel
How To Make A Skillet Apple Pie
Homemade Pop Tart Recipe
Black and White Brownies Recipe
Raspberry Sherbet Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Creamy Pasta with Peas
@Home This Weekend: Patriotic Planter
Summertime Sweetness: Fruit Salsa & Cinnamon Chips

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...