A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 298,068
Currently Running With Scissors:
370 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Nursing Cover Up Tutorial *edited to add diagram*  (Read 21092 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Beantown
« on: July 31, 2006 06:39:34 PM »

For these cover ups you'll need 2 fat quarters (18"x22" pieces of fabric).  Any fabric will do as long as it's machine washable.  You'll also need a 8-10" length of boning and a length of quilt binding.  I use Wright's. 

Sew the boning in the center top of the WRONG side of one piece of fabric.  About a half inch from the top should work.

Sew all 4 sides of the rectangles, wrong sides together BUT leave it open above the length of boning plus one inch on either side.

Clip corners and either serge edges or trim with pinking shears.  Turn right side out and iron.

Pin together opening at the top, adding the strip of quilt binding to either side of the boning.  Sew through all layers across the top, continuing to top-stitch all the way around the cover.  This will make it reversible.  The boning leaves a little stiffness so the mom can see the baby while feeding.

Before using for the first time, fold the boning in half and pinch it lightly so it creates a tent for viewing the baby.

ETA diagram:
« Last Edit: August 01, 2006 06:03:49 AM by Beantown » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm a crafting addict!

Visit my blog!
Beantown
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2006 06:45:08 PM »

You can also add extras such as a pocket for nursing pads, sew a section of towel in the corner to wipe the baby's mouth, change the neck strap to make it adjustable (velcro, D rings, etc.) and make them bigger for larger women or nursing twins.  I like using fat quarters b/c I'm lazy and I don't like the idea of a huge blanket draped over me.  I've made a bunch of these and sold them on eBay and I have a bunch at home I don't know what to do with.  I get tons of compliments on it where ever I go!  So easy!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm a crafting addict!

Visit my blog!
kell
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2006 07:06:27 PM »

Those are quite pretty, and such a perfect shape for it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Him: I think we've been on the same page for a while now.
Me: What if we're on the same page, but in different books?

myspace
  swap info
babygoinplaces

Baby, I'm goin' places!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2006 07:43:21 PM »

I think the last one is my favorite.  Very pretty and anything that will promote/prolong breastfeeding is a plus in my book!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://babygoinplaces.com
Baby Goin' Places--for the baby on the go!  Slings, pocketchangers, custom clothing, and now custom monogramming and embroidery!
http://babygoinplaces.etsy.com
Beantown
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2006 04:41:48 AM »

anything that will promote/prolong breastfeeding is a plus in my book!

I agree!  I can't wait to nurse my next baby.  I miss it so much!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm a crafting addict!

Visit my blog!
babygoinplaces

Baby, I'm goin' places!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2006 05:39:45 AM »

This would also be a nice cover up for a pumping mom at work.  Hopefully she has a private area to do it, but if she has to do it in a lounge area where others may interrupt, she can still be modest.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Baby Goin' Places--for the baby on the go!  Slings, pocketchangers, custom clothing, and now custom monogramming and embroidery!
Beantown
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2006 05:04:37 PM »

I used mine during pumping as well.  (When I worked in an office)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm a crafting addict!

Visit my blog!
babygoinplaces

Baby, I'm goin' places!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2006 04:30:50 PM »

Here is my attempt at a reversible cover:

LOVED the fabrics.  JoAnn's  has FQ's for $.99 each.  I had the grosgrain ribbon.  The boning was fairly cheap.  All in all, I'd say there's about $3.25 or less in this baby.  I got 2 more "pairs" of fabrics to make 2 more.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2011 06:36:14 PM by alteredmommy - Reason: fixed coding issue » THIS ROCKS   Logged

luvdaisies
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2006 05:36:32 PM »

I am pregnant with my first and am looking forward to (and a bit nervous about!) breastfeeding. I thought I'd try one of these cover-ups! But I have never sewn with boning before. I thought it required some sort of sleeve/tube to slide it into? And then my second question is, once you pinch it in half, can you then pinch it the other way since the coverup is reversible??

Thanks so much for posting the pictures and instructions!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
babygoinplaces

Baby, I'm goin' places!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2006 06:18:13 PM »

I am pregnant with my first and am looking forward to (and a bit nervous about!) breastfeeding. I thought I'd try one of these cover-ups! But I have never sewn with boning before. I thought it required some sort of sleeve/tube to slide it into? And then my second question is, once you pinch it in half, can you then pinch it the other way since the coverup is reversible??

Thanks so much for posting the pictures and instructions!

Two things first:
1) get to know someone who's breastfed a baby longer than 3 months to help you before the baby is born.  La Leche League or similar org will be good.
2) know that bf is natural but not always easy at first, so try, try, try again and persist with all your might!

As for the nursing cover, the boning I got was similar to really stiff velcro for lack of better description.  It was flat and stiff and I sewed a straight line right through the middle of it with no problem.   Yes, you can pinch it the other way to reverse it.  Good luck!  These were quick and easy and will be good to have around.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Draw Scratchy - 34th Drawing
How to Draw The Devil - 40th Drawing
How to Draw Mr. Burns - 7th Drawing
How to Draw Krusty the Clown - 12th Drawing
How to Draw Bart Simpson - Full body - 38th Drawing
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...