A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 297,192
Currently Running With Scissors:
673 Guests and 32 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Renaissance faire favors  (Read 3700 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Writer78
« on: July 31, 2006 08:26:09 AM »

I'm a ren faire "playtron" - a patron who plays along at renaissance faires by coming in costume.  (And saying "Good day" and "M'lord" sometimes, though I don't bother with the accent because I'm really bad at it.)  A tradition at ren faires is the giving of favors - a small token, usually a pin to be worn on the bodice or shirt, to signify friendship.  The favor usually reflects the giver, and it can be given to faire friends or to new acquaintances.

Below are my favor from last year (left) and this year.  Last year's was a burgundy shield made from cardboard and covered in fabric, then stitched on the edges with beads added, then a pen tip glued to the front like a sword.  This year's is a wooden disc handpainted with a swan image, edged in pearl string.

Other faire fans, I'd love to see your favors and other faire items!  My next plan is to make a new costume skirt with some WONDERFUL markdown fabric I got as a remnant on 90% off.  I also have most of the pieces to make a new, big belt pouch for carrying CDs that I purchase from independent musicians I meet at faire.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

kitkabbit
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2006 01:06:50 PM »

is that what's referred to as a 'fairing'?

~kat
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Writer78
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2006 01:43:34 PM »

is that what's referred to as a 'fairing'?

~kat

I don't know - I've never heard that term.  I've heard them called favors or tokens.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

NinjaKitty713
. . .Drugswhere? >.>

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2006 08:43:12 PM »

I love Renn Faires
but I've never heard of giving out favors before.
Shocked
I'll have to see if I have time to make some of those
after I finish my costume.
n___n'
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The lights that move sideways and up and down
The beat takes you over and spins you round
Our hearts steady beating, the sweat turns to cold
We're slaves to the DJ and out of control.
onthinice
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2006 05:32:59 AM »

So, Writer78, you see you are on the cutting edge of renfaires.  Maybe it is one small area where an SCA custom has been taken up by rennies.  It is quite common for SCA fighters to have several little flags hanging off of their belts, with the flags being favors from their sweeties and/or tokens of their local SCA governing bodies' appreciation for valor.

I have threatened to make a blackwork favor for my hubby, but he would probably refuse to wear it.  The design that always comes to mind is a half-naked harpy to watch over him   Roll Eyes
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Pinterest
Into fictional letter writing? PM me. We need more characters. What am I talking about? Read about it at Dante's Wardrobe.
lauriena
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2006 06:00:25 AM »

first off those are cute, I like the pen cap in the position where the sword would go

It is quite common for SCA fighters to have several little flags hanging off of their belts, with the flags being favors from their sweeties and/or tokens of their local SCA governing bodies' appreciation for valor.

I normally strip off my beltflags before making my yearly voyage to the ren faire, but I do see several friends of the faire with tolkens on thier outfit,  I always wondered if they were rennies or sca people or both...

this years ren faire outfit (minus hip scarf and belt, not historically acturate but fun to wear, and yes I wore a lighter color peasent blouse to the actual faire, I didn't want to die in the heat)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Writer78
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2006 06:45:48 AM »

first off those are cute, I like the pen cap in the position where the sword would go

It is quite common for SCA fighters to have several little flags hanging off of their belts, with the flags being favors from their sweeties and/or tokens of their local SCA governing bodies' appreciation for valor.

I normally strip off my beltflags before making my yearly voyage to the ren faire, but I do see several friends of the faire with tolkens on thier outfit,  I always wondered if they were rennies or sca people or both...

this years ren faire outfit (minus hip scarf and belt, not historically acturate but fun to wear, and yes I wore a lighter color peasent blouse to the actual faire, I didn't want to die in the heat)

looks great!!  I've been in the same garb for the past few seasons (OK, so I bought a new dress late last year, but it's not cool enough to wear to summer faires - just to the October faire near me).  Anyway, I'm shopping for a professionally made bodice or Irish dress and possibly some new shoes.

Early on, I fretted some about historical accuracy.  Now I'm all about looking cool no matter what.   Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kitkabbit
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2006 07:08:40 AM »

mmm renfaire...
cheesecake/snickersbar/--------meat----/ on a stick

the one time i went in garb, the lusty wench bodice didn't fit me right.
my friend's scandinavian bodice, I thought, was much more attractive than the lusty wench bodice, PLUS gives more support.  SIgh.  The cloak I had got lifted at one year's May Day, so all I have left from those days is my leather pouch... prolly in a box somewhere.

oh, btw,
looks great!
Which renfaires are you frequenting?
I've only been to the MD ones...
mm Moresca... so much $$$ but so beautiful
~kat
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lauriena
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2006 08:13:51 AM »

mm Moresca... so much $$$ but so beautiful
~kat
I just bought a moresca bodiace this year, then laid it out on the sewing table to figure out how to make another version of it... saddly while I am tall aparently all of my hieght is in my torso and none in my legs, so the moresca bodaic looks great but really short (their longer bodices resulted in a horrid shelf with my boobs falling out)

I go up to bristol every year (WI), I am in beleagarth (medieval combat society, but we are more fanasty and mostly 'stick jocks') and going up to the MN faire in august
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kitkabbit
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2006 08:19:05 AM »

yeah.. I'm a fan of support not boobage...

i don't think that people's chests necessarily look their best when falling OUT of the bodice...

lol

~k
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Boost Your Roots For Fine or Thick Hair
3 Spring Styles to Inspire Your Next Haircut
Osis Dust It Mattifying Powder Review
How to Do a Half Up Long Hair Updo
How to Pick Long Hair Care Products
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...