A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 297,551
Currently Running With Scissors:
383 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Storing UFO's & WIP's  (Read 1846 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Wizardesssss

Cherish your bliss!

View Profile
« on: July 31, 2006 06:45:00 AM »

It's getting to the stage where the 'big' projects that I knit are boring me to death, and so I have started 2 smaller projects in the hopes that when I finish those, I'll have renewed spirit to complete the bigger projects.

At the moment I've got them all stored in a cane basket and when I go to knit some more, it looks as though they've all had a fight. The yarn are twisted and knotted amongst each other and the needles are poking outside of the basket struggling to get out.
I've thought of storing them in plastic bags but for some strange reason, something tells me not too.

So i'm curious to know how all you knitters store your UFO's and especially the items that you are working on right now.

(I possible, could you please include a photo if you've made something to store the items in, as this may help others, not only me.)   Ta, in advance
THIS ROCKS   Logged
squeakyweasels

Knitter, Writer, Yarner

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2006 07:11:55 AM »

This is my thing, lately I've been picking up a bunch of different sized purses at garage sales and keeping each project in a separate purse. This way I can keep the pattern, working yarn, and knitting, plus any accessories I need for that project all together. Then when I'm going out (or to another room) and feel like working on it, all I have to do is grab that purse and drop my wallet and keys in one of the pockets.

The WIP purses are also neater to keep on a shelf than a bunch of stray yarn and needles all duking it out.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I sell ecofriendly luxury yarn, recycled at
http://stitchpop.artfire.com
lawral
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2006 03:15:29 PM »

i store all of my wips in purses too, then i dump them all into a big laundry-type basket. that way i can pile things right on top of my stash in the large corner of my living room that it has taken over, and i can still pick up individual projects without any tangles.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
m*babylon

you can't get there from here

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2006 03:51:34 PM »

for my stash and any wip small enough to fit, i store everything in giant freezer bags & i press most of the air out before sealing them.  i have a cedar chest for my stash, but everything kept rubbing against each other when i would dig in there and i had the same tangled problems.  i haven't heard of any reason not to store them in plastic bags yet, and the one yarn company i've visited bags all of their dyelots together in large sealed plastic bags for storage until they are packed for shipment to stores.  larger wip like afghans or sweaters, of which i usually only have one or two at a time, get their own large tote bag for the duration of the project.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

just a city boy, born & raised in south detroit
he took the midnight train going anywhere...
meriellyn
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2006 08:02:41 PM »

for my stash and any wip small enough to fit, i store everything in giant freezer bags & i press most of the air out before sealing them.  i have a cedar chest for my stash, but everything kept rubbing against each other when i would dig in there and i had the same tangled problems.  i haven't heard of any reason not to store them in plastic bags yet, and the one yarn company i've visited bags all of their dyelots together in large sealed plastic bags for storage until they are packed for shipment to stores.  larger wip like afghans or sweaters, of which i usually only have one or two at a time, get their own large tote bag for the duration of the project.

This is my basic method as well. I love the slide-zip ones. Anything too large goes in one of my many misc totes. I'm always on the lookout for good project totes. Right now I have one tote bag with my crochet afghan project and an identical one with two sock projects, a hat, and a bag (all in ziploc bags). My other WIPs are in bags, in my knitting bag. They pack in there much better in ziplocs with the air pushed out than any other way.

I store most of my stash in plastic bags as well. This is ideal for me because I run a freakin' zoo around here (cats, dogs, hamsters... you get the idea) and it protects them from fur and other such maminal hazards. Wink I keep those bags in a little plastic chest of drawers with wheels. I've recently expanded to a large collapsable hamper I got on sale at JoAnne's.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

frogsrock
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2006 09:45:59 PM »

they go in baggies and then into this

my blankets gonna need to be updated to a bigger bag soon... right now it still fits in a ziplock
THIS ROCKS   Logged
moazogotl
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2006 10:39:44 AM »

Mine go into totes or purses (depending on their size) so I can drag them out of the house with me if I want to.  If I get really sick of a project, its bag gets dumped into a cardboard box in the closet.  My (smallish) stash is in plastic bags and fabric totes, but I think boxes would work better.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftykate
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2006 11:12:10 AM »

I always wait until joann fabrics does one of those crazy sales where baskets are 50% off. Then I pick up a few of those lined baskets. All my misc. UFO's and stashes of yarn get their own basket and then all my mismatched baskets go onto a tall cheap Ikea wooden shelf. I just grab the contents of the basket for whatever I feel like working on, and transfer them to my giant knitting bag. (made by the incredible sewpixie) The fabric lining keep my yarn and needles from snagging on the basket itself and I think they look kind cute all lined up on the shelf. Well, cuter than piles of yarn on my floor anyway.  Roll Eyes
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://craftykate.etsy.com

Yep, it's a knit blog
http://craftykate-knits.blogspot.com/

wanna trade? I heart personal swaps.
bijouxmaster
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2006 11:26:42 AM »

I keep mine in different bags as well.  I have one big bag that has 3 sections in it so that is the one I usually pack around with me because I can put 3 projects in it - one in each section.  And I always like to have a back up if I go to a kniting get together in case I get bored or screw one up.  But for other projects I have other totes. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Loo
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2006 11:36:41 AM »

My mother has a multitude of WIPs and I helped her develop a system. (I'm a one project at a time kind of gal.) Ziploc makes so many size bags that you can pretty much get one for any size project. So, we bought lots of different sizes of the ones with the labels on the front. Each project gets it's own bag & all the bags are stored in a rectangular basket lined up - one behind the other. A sharpie & a box of medium size bags fits in the side of the basket for quick storing/labeling. We even put them in order of what she'd like to finish first. This way she can just grab a bag that includes yarn, pattern, (even) needles and other tools for various car trips, days at home, etc.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I'd hate to be the only funny bouncing one in the room."  -Ani Difranco

http://seelooknit.blogspot.com/
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Save Time and Money on Your Morning Beauty Routine
A Bombshell Makeover with Maskcara
Get the Natalie Portman Boy Brow
Malaika Firth Model Profile - Interview & Runway
Under Eye Tightening DIY
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...