A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 296,709
Currently Running With Scissors:
558 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Renaissance faire favors  (Read 3598 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Writer78
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2006 09:24:32 AM »

I attend Bristol the most.  I'm near Chicago, so I have been a number of midwest faires.  I would love to go to Texas sometime - they are supposed to have the biggest and best faire!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

onthinice
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2006 10:17:44 AM »

I would love to go to Texas sometime - they are supposed to have the biggest and best faire!

I've been to one in Texas, but that was years ago.  The only thing I remember about it was an embarassing episode involving an alcoholic beverage I will never drink again  Tongue

Ah, now don't leave out the KC RenFest when you're talking about biggest and best.  I don't think I have seen Tartanic there, but I am rather fond of the local faire.  I should work on a new outfit, so I can go in costume this year.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Pinterest
Into fictional letter writing? PM me. We need more characters. What am I talking about? Read about it at Dante's Wardrobe.
Writer78
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2006 01:36:14 PM »

I would love to go to Texas sometime - they are supposed to have the biggest and best faire!

I've been to one in Texas, but that was years ago.  The only thing I remember about it was an embarassing episode involving an alcoholic beverage I will never drink again  Tongue

Ah, now don't leave out the KC RenFest when you're talking about biggest and best.  I don't think I have seen Tartanic there, but I am rather fond of the local faire.  I should work on a new outfit, so I can go in costume this year.

Perhaps I will show up on your doorstep and go with you!   Grin  As for Tartanic, *massive sigh*, they don't have any more midwest dates scheduled this season except highland games in Michigan, which I can't make it to.  They really need to come back up here, or I need a really good excuse to go to Texas...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

licalee
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2006 05:29:59 PM »

Hey Writer!

I love your little favors - especially the creative little pen sword - so fitting for you!

And when I saw you were the one posting about the ren faire I just knew you were going to the one near me (from the swap we were in I vaguely remembered you were near Chicago) and I had to check it out. People have been telling me to go for years but I've been a little leary (just an hour or so ago I was advised to go!).

But I've been a little weirded out about it. It seems all the people I run into are total fanatics and every story starts out "This one time at Ren Faire..." I was even accosted by a girl at the craft store because of a hammered wire necklace I made, she just went on and on about the faire for what seemed like forever!

Luckily in the last few weeks I've heard good things  from people I know aren't spending their entire lives obsessed with the faire and now I'm a little more open minded. I'm really ashamed of this prejudice and plan to conquer it when the heat index is below 110!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
the wallaby
Era of the Sea

stirring controversy with a wooden spoon

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2006 05:40:25 PM »

Oh, I hear you about 110 degree weather. I made my entire costume last year for the BARF*, and it was h-o-t! Came home looking like a tomato. I went with a major fanatic (dig this, he, his mother and his father ALL work the faire!! He had to stop because of school and teaching.) Very cool. Didn't notice any favors though. I'll have to ask him about that. These look great though!

*bay area renn. faire. anyone else?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I like personal swaps <3

...Oh fine!
http://www.wists.com/wallaby
Writer78
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2006 07:02:55 PM »

licalee, that shampoo you sent me in the Sweat Shoppe Swap did WONDERS for my hair!!  Kudos!!

re: Bristol, you will get your mix: people who do nothing but faire and are unashamed (I actually admire them for being so unconcerned about what's popular); people, like me, who are really hyped up by faires but work on downplaying it because we know it comes across weird (like my Star Trek fandom!); people who are there to be "different" and wear any kind of crazy alternative sexy costume they want; and the vast majority, people in regular clothes who show up for something fun to do.

What you'll LOVE is the shops.  Even if the costumes/accents/playfulness turn you off (and I do know they're not for everyone!), you can't beat the array of craft goods for sale!!  I hope you'll go for that, if nothing else.

Also, if you have lunch there, try the shepherd's pie - it's quite delish!

I think it's fun and quirky and cool to be into faires, but I think it pays to know when to "turn it off" and not bother people with it.  In real life, I'm pretty quiet and serious, so dressing up and going to a faire gives me the freedom to be more friendly and flirty than usual.  (I liked one of the musicians in one act so much that I asked for a kiss, and I got one!  That's not soemthing I'd EVER do outside of hte faire!)

please PM me and tell me how you like it, if you do end up going!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

licalee
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2006 03:59:32 PM »

I will and I will also try the shepherd's pie - I've been wanting to try that since a friend of mine in England told me about it... 

Thanks for all the info and I'm glad you liked the shampoo. I'll keep you posted if i go!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Adobe Photoshop CS2 - How to Correct Colors
Adobe Photoshop CS2 - How to Move Selection from One Image into Another
Adobe Photoshop CS2 - Introducing Adobe Photoshop CS2
Adobe Production Studio - Working with the Scrub Tool
Adobe Production Studio - Adjusting Panels and Saving a Custom Workspace
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...