A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 297,050
Currently Running With Scissors:
556 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: New Knitter Knitalong??  (Read 7244 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

elizajane1962
« Reply #30 on: October 11, 2004 07:54:04 PM »

Smiley I think I should join this. I'm finishing some fingerless glove/armwarmers and am actually in the middle of making a stockinette stitch afghan in 6" squares.  This will keep me motivated.  Maybe altering the different stitches in the squares will keep the afghan from becoming tedious.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
indiaromeo
« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2004 12:26:52 PM »

Coolbeans, I'm glad to hear you've made some progress. Awesome! And welcome aboard, elizajane - glad to have you with us!

So.... you ladies want to do another square, eh? I've been quite obsessed with seed stitch lately - how about that? It's easy! Here's a picture and directions for seed stitch from about.com. You have to be able to knit and purl, but that's it. Nothing too complicated.

Let's do this last square, and then we'll move onto a short & easy pattern. How 'bout everyone try to get their squares done by the 29th? That gives everyone a little over 2 weeks to try and squeeze it in. Sound good?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lovely things for lovely people: www.indiaromeo.com
Because MALL is a four-letter word: preg_replace('/(.{19})/', '$1 ', 'www.thehandmademarket.com')
Handcrafted adornments for body & home: preg_replace('/(.{19})/', '$1 ', 'www.thehandmaidens.com')
april_cocaine
« Reply #32 on: October 12, 2004 01:07:53 PM »

hey, i hhink i'm gonna join. I'll make a scarf about 10 sqaures long, all with different stiches.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PixieSkull
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Glittery Macabre

Nat 20! Woot!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #33 on: November 02, 2004 01:58:33 PM »

I'm in need of a new project that will relax me a tid bit more, I thought I would try this. If anything, I'd get a nice scarf out of this project Smiley

It's also great not to be alone in a project
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~*My Etsy Shop*~
I'm a level 9 rouge, b***h!
I do personal swaps!
livlif2thefulest
Always gonna be Craftin'

Fat Cat!

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 04, 2004 06:29:47 AM »

I wanna join! It would be a great way to use all of my excess yarn. I only know the basic garter (purl and knit) and s.s. YAY!  Grin
Jo
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Words to live by:
Live Life To The Fullest
Horse Power
« Reply #35 on: November 05, 2004 01:03:22 PM »

Hi, I'd like to join in for this: I do a lot of crochet, but not much knitting. I know the basic knit & purl but I need practice on new stitches - the hardest thing for me is keeping track of the numbers. (seems like I count and recount, and still often end a row with a different number of stitches than I started out with...)  I think I do better when I don't have the TV on ...  soon as somebody says a number I lose track of what I'm doing!

So I've started a scarf with the intention of doing the 'different stitches separated by some rows of garter' thing. My first segment was 'seafoam stitch', now I'm getting ready to start with the 'seed stitch'.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2011 08:59:02 PM by jungrrl » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Horse Power
« Reply #36 on: November 08, 2004 06:32:42 AM »

Hey, I made bobbles! My first ever bobbles!
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-7/781795/KnitBobblesSmallA.jpg
I figured out the directions from here:
http://www.diynet.com/diy/na_knitting/article/0,2025,DIY_14141_3125592,00.html
There's a little video on there, too, which I watched about five times and made notes from.
On this same page is another pattern & video for the 'Drop Stitch' which I put on my scarf right after the bobble row. I love this stitch. Easy, lacy and fast. She said it was good for using novelty yarns, so this may be what I use for my next scarf if I find any great yarns that I want to showcase.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2011 08:59:51 PM by jungrrl - Reason: changed non-working images to links. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

karahtalia
Queen of Unfinished Projects

Dangerous Kittyboy aka The Knitting Guineapig

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: November 08, 2004 10:22:47 AM »

Hello everyone, I am a little late, I think, but I would like to get in on tihs knitalong. I have been crocheting for years and just a month or so back decided to teach myself to knit. Which, I must say, has been an entertaining if not frustrating challenge. I am proficent in the long tailed cast on, and knitting and last week figured out, finally, how to purl correctly, which was cause for celebration since I was having a terrible time figuring it out. I am left handed which means I prefer the continental style of holding the yarn (in the left hand) which is probably much of the reason why purling was such a pill for me to master.

I have been following this thread for a few days now after someone from a recipe site forum I frequent suggested the site. I had started a scarf in a bit of old scrap synthetic yarn I had lying around....blaze orange... how i managed to acquire blaze orange yarn I will never know, and was just doing a real plain ribbed style. I decided after a foot of doing that to rip it out back to the beginning and do what someone suggested which is to SS for 10 rows then do a pattern for 20 then SS again and repeat. That is a simpy fabulous idea! Cheesy I can't bring myself to do squares, I hate doing squares in crocheting so already have a biased opinion of them. Smiley

Anyway now that I am babbling mindlessly, I would like to join in, I love seeing what everyone has done so far, once I get this next section done, I will take a pic and attempt to post it for all to snicker at. Tongue Thus far I have done a real basic but nice divided boxes stitch and now I am trying to do a small fountain stitch. I tried to do a vertical weave but apparently I did not learn how to count in Kindergarten and I changed my mind and went to a diferent pattern. Once I have figured out that 2 comes after 1 and not 3 I will try it again.   Grin

Wow, long first post.

Anyway, good luck everyone and I have loved what I have seen so far. They all look lovely.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Knitting is Knourishment Cheesy

http://www.irishwitch.blogspot.com/
Bumblebathproducts
« Reply #38 on: November 08, 2004 12:31:20 PM »

Hi Everyone,

You can DEFINITELY do the Sophie.  I just finsihed felting my first.  The bottom is garter stitch which is knit everyrow, and then you pick up stitches and then you just knit in the round.  SUPER EASY!!!

Join the Sophie Knitalong.  I'll be posting my picture tomorrow after it dries.

It's gorgeous!@!!!

Danielle
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Horse Power
« Reply #39 on: November 17, 2004 06:31:15 AM »

OK, I think I'm about done with this scarf, it's getting pretty long. I've enjoyed this project so much! I've learned how to increase, decrease, put loops back on the needle after frogging, do all these different stitches, and I'm much more comfortable with purling. I need some advice, though -  the edges of this thing are very wavy and uneven. Any suggestions on what to do about it? I can fold the edges under and have it look pretty good, but how do I attach/sew/align/cover the back? Should I just roll it up and keep it for reference, or can it still be made into a decent-looking scarf somehow?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Best Long Layered Haircuts for Thin Hair
The Best Long Hairstyles for Fine Hair
How to Condition Long Hair
How to Style Long Hair to Look Short
The Best Haircuts for Long Hair
Latest Blog Articles
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt
More Great Crafts Using Cardboard Tubes

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...