A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 298,104
Currently Running With Scissors:
778 Guests and 28 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: New Knitter Knitalong??  (Read 7665 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

bookwormbry

Dressing the world, one dog at a time

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2004 10:25:49 AM »

I'm in!! I was planning on going to Joann's today, so I'll pick up some yarn since they're having an awesome moving sale... hehe, an excuse to buy more yarn. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
greenchick

Enough to make a pearl

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2004 01:35:16 PM »

Just a suggestion . . . when I wanted to learn how to do more patterns, but didn't want to commit to a a whole sweater, I knit a sampler scarf. It has (still in progress and probably always will be) ten rows of garter and then twenty rows of the pattern, then ten rows of garter, then twenty of a new pattern, then ten rows of garter . . . until you are done (or bored). I liked this idea because I had something that was usable in the end, but as I said earlier, I tend to not finish it because I like adding new patterns (it's about six feet long now).

Good luck!
Jill
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cawfeehowse
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2004 02:54:04 PM »

Nope, steal away! Smiley

*clicking of knitting needles*

Erin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

coolbeans

This hot chocolate is so frothy.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2004 04:40:07 PM »

I want to join the knitalong.  Just taught myself how a couple of days ago and I'm not that great at it.  But I'm in the middle of packing, I'm moving but I'll have time to do it in the 8 hour drive to the new place.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
indiaromeo
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2004 07:01:40 AM »

Welcome, coolbeans! Glad to have you with us!

How's everyone doing? I've got my garter stitch square done -  actually it's been done for a few days now, but I keep forgetting to take a pic of it so I can post my results, so I'll edit this post later to add the pic...  How's everyone else progressing? Anyone ready to move onto another square yet? Anyone need help? Let's hear about it!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lovely things for lovely people: www.indiaromeo.com
Because MALL is a four-letter word: www.thehandmademarket.com
Handcrafted adornments for body & home: www.thehandmaidens.com
elysium
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2004 10:33:42 PM »

OK, so I'm having a realy problem motivating myself to put down my projects and knitting just a plain garter stich square. So here's my brilliant plan: Since I'm an English knitter, I was thinking I might try knitting a square in a different style, just to make it interesting. I'm hoping to discover a style that I'm as comfortable with but isn't as watching-paint-dry slow. How do you all hold your needles and yarn? What style works for you?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
indiaromeo
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2004 06:59:10 AM »

Elysium, I usually knit Continental style (holding the yarn in my left hand). I can knit English style also (holding the yarn in my right hand), but I find that Continental is way faster for me. I know that sometimes folks who knit Continental find their purl rows looser than their knit rows, but for some reason, mine turn out okay. So I haven't found much of a reason to switch things up.

Taking the opportunity to try and learn another style is a great idea! I've always wanted to try knitting with super long needles and holding the one with the stitches on it under my arm. Maybe I'll do that!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lovely things for lovely people: www.indiaromeo.com
Because MALL is a four-letter word: www.thehandmademarket.com
Handcrafted adornments for body & home: www.thehandmaidens.com
bookwormbry

Dressing the world, one dog at a time

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2004 04:27:40 PM »

I knit continental, but I've been told I knit oddly because I don't take my hands off my needles - my mom takes her left hand off, moves the yarn to do the next stitch, hand back on, knits a stitch, takes hand off, and repeat. I guess I just hold the needles close enough to the end that I don't have to take my hands off, I can just pick up the yarn with the needles. Hard to explain, sorry, but it's fun to try - really speeds you up!

I still don't have my square finished, since school started and I had way less time than I thought I would... but this is Labor Day weekend, hence Monday is a day off, so it will be done soon!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bright_blue_sky
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2004 05:59:42 PM »

try hats and mittens instead of sweaters as your step up from scarves. way quicker and easier too...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Cassiopia1
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2004 06:55:58 PM »

I know I'm joining this late, but I'm definitely joining. I'll finish up my square really soon! *power knits*

Err, yeah. Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Daily Habits That Are Ruining Your Skin
Glam Nomad Makeup at Bibhu Mohaptara NYFW 2014 Show
Shiny Mirrored Nails at the Delpozo NYFW 2014 Show
NYFW Fall 2014 Backstage Beauty
Ken Paves’ Triplet Makeover
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...