A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 307,611
Currently Running With Scissors:
542 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: New Knitter Knitalong??  (Read 10156 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

cawfeehowse
« on: August 12, 2004 01:21:06 PM »

I wish there was a knitalong that's really easy for a new knitter.  I would love to join but all I can do is SS stitch and I'd really love more practice.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

elysium
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2004 01:36:00 PM »

Me too. If we can't find one we should just start one of our own. Like a basic sock knitalong. Or a toque knitalong or something.
Actually, I was thingking of joining the sophie knitalong. It doesn't look too hard.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
indiaromeo
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2004 01:40:32 PM »

You totally should start your own! Cheesy

I'm teaching a friend to crochet and knit by helping her make swatches of patterns. Eventually, we're going to stitch them all together to make a sampler-style afghan. You could do something like that really easily. For example, you could start off by giving everyone a week or two to knit a 4 inch by 4 inch square in garter stitch. Then, the next time, you could do a square in 2x2 ribbing. Slowly but surely, you'll work your way toward harder and harder patterns - eventually, you could work your way up to cable and intarsia patterns! The cool thing is that you'll be teaching yourself new techniques and patterns along the way while you're working toward the final project. Totally do-able, don'tcha think?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lovely things for lovely people: www.indiaromeo.com
Because MALL is a four-letter word: www.thehandmademarket.com
Handcrafted adornments for body & home: www.thehandmaidens.com
cheekymamaof2
It doesn't feel like exercise when you're wearing chiffon.

Forget Stitch n Bitch. Nurse n Knit!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2004 01:51:21 PM »

That is a great idea! Im so in if this gets going Smiley I can knit and purl and do ribbing, but I am so wanting to learn more patterns and stitches Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BOYCOTT SEW FAST SEW EASY!
visit www.freetostitchfreetobitch.org
my blogs can be found at livejournal (cheekymama) and blogspot (cheekymamaof2)
indiaromeo
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2004 01:57:46 PM »

If anyone else is interested, I'd be glad to start/host a knitalong. I think it would be fun!
« Last Edit: August 12, 2004 01:59:41 PM by IndiaRomeo » THIS ROCKS   Logged

cawfeehowse
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2004 07:05:38 PM »

I'd love to join.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

alyshajane
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2004 10:09:09 PM »

I'd love to join, too! I've only made scarves and small things like cozies so far. A knitalong for new knitters sounds awesome! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
indiaromeo
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2004 08:19:20 AM »

Alright! I think this is great. Although I've been knitting for a while now, I've been wanting a reason to try new patterns and techniques, but I'm not ready to commit to doing the TKGA master knitter thing, so this is perfect! I'm glad you're all up for this - I think it'll be fun!

So here's my idea. Let's all agree to do a certain number of squares to start us off... let's say, 20. (Is that too many? Not enough? If you want, we could leave the actual number undecided so folks can work at their own pace and join/drop out as they wish.)

For at least the first few squares, I think everyone should work on the same pattern at the same time. That way there can be discussion of problems while everyone is at the same place, and hopefully everyone can trade tips to help each other out. Maybe after everyone gets comfy, everyone can branch out and try patterns on their own. But for the time being, I think it would be helpful to keep everyone working on the same thing at the same time.

Sound good so far? If you have any ideas/suggestions, speak up!

So if everyone's ready, get your needles and yarn ready for the 1st square! Here are some basic guidelines/suggestions: You can pick whatever kind of yarn you want. (While I've been doing this with my friend, I've been using this project as an excuse to use up ends of skeins and odd balls of worsted weight yarn in my stash.) However, just keep in mind that you may want to work in a smooth type of yarn so you can see your stitches clearly (so eyelash or a nubby novelty yarn might not be good here). Also, if you want to stitch your squares together to make a blanket or pillow or something, you might want to keep that in mind as you start off so you can remember to color coordinate your yarn squares.

How 'bout for the first square, everyone do a square of garter stitch (knit all rows or purl all rows). You can make your square as big or as small as you want, but I think a 4 or 5 inch square is a good size to start.

Here are some websites that might be helpful as everyone gets started:
http://knitting.about.com/od/learningtoknit/
http://helloknitty.com/videoinstr.htm

Ok, everyone, let's get to it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bluedog
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2004 09:28:39 AM »

Is this knit-a-long a "go"?  I'd love to take part in it.  I'm a fairly new knitter and am tired of garter stitch scarves, but am overwhelmed by the sweaters I've attempted.  I think a project like this is just what I need.  The squares are small, so their is a sense of completion but I'll still be able to learn some new techniques.

I have a great book called The Knitting Stitch Bible
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0873493583/qid=1092846085/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/103-8319340-1743023?v=glance&s=books
It shows tons and tons of different techniques and styles.  I've been wanting to try so many of them, but haven't had the chance.

Let me know if this knit-a-long is being hosted somewhere else or if I should just post here. Thanks

~Kristen
THIS ROCKS   Logged
indiaromeo
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2004 09:51:20 AM »

Hey bluedog, I'm glad you're interested! I *think* this is a go - no one else has posted since last week, but I'm hoping everyone saw the message and is home knitting away at their 1st squares right now. Wink But maybe I should send folks a PM to do a roll call just to be safe...

In response to your question re: where to post, if Cawfeehowse doesn't mind us stealing her thread, I say we should go ahead and keep posting our results/comments/questions here, unless you all think it would be better to start a new one.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bookwormbry

Dressing the world, one dog at a time

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2004 10:25:49 AM »

I'm in!! I was planning on going to Joann's today, so I'll pick up some yarn since they're having an awesome moving sale... hehe, an excuse to buy more yarn. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
greenchick

Enough to make a pearl

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2004 01:35:16 PM »

Just a suggestion . . . when I wanted to learn how to do more patterns, but didn't want to commit to a a whole sweater, I knit a sampler scarf. It has (still in progress and probably always will be) ten rows of garter and then twenty rows of the pattern, then ten rows of garter, then twenty of a new pattern, then ten rows of garter . . . until you are done (or bored). I liked this idea because I had something that was usable in the end, but as I said earlier, I tend to not finish it because I like adding new patterns (it's about six feet long now).

Good luck!
Jill
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cawfeehowse
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2004 02:54:04 PM »

Nope, steal away! Smiley

*clicking of knitting needles*

Erin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

coolbeans

This hot chocolate is so frothy.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2004 04:40:07 PM »

I want to join the knitalong.  Just taught myself how a couple of days ago and I'm not that great at it.  But I'm in the middle of packing, I'm moving but I'll have time to do it in the 8 hour drive to the new place.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
indiaromeo
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2004 07:01:40 AM »

Welcome, coolbeans! Glad to have you with us!

How's everyone doing? I've got my garter stitch square done -  actually it's been done for a few days now, but I keep forgetting to take a pic of it so I can post my results, so I'll edit this post later to add the pic...  How's everyone else progressing? Anyone ready to move onto another square yet? Anyone need help? Let's hear about it!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

elysium
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2004 10:33:42 PM »

OK, so I'm having a realy problem motivating myself to put down my projects and knitting just a plain garter stich square. So here's my brilliant plan: Since I'm an English knitter, I was thinking I might try knitting a square in a different style, just to make it interesting. I'm hoping to discover a style that I'm as comfortable with but isn't as watching-paint-dry slow. How do you all hold your needles and yarn? What style works for you?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
indiaromeo
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2004 06:59:10 AM »

Elysium, I usually knit Continental style (holding the yarn in my left hand). I can knit English style also (holding the yarn in my right hand), but I find that Continental is way faster for me. I know that sometimes folks who knit Continental find their purl rows looser than their knit rows, but for some reason, mine turn out okay. So I haven't found much of a reason to switch things up.

Taking the opportunity to try and learn another style is a great idea! I've always wanted to try knitting with super long needles and holding the one with the stitches on it under my arm. Maybe I'll do that!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bookwormbry

Dressing the world, one dog at a time

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2004 04:27:40 PM »

I knit continental, but I've been told I knit oddly because I don't take my hands off my needles - my mom takes her left hand off, moves the yarn to do the next stitch, hand back on, knits a stitch, takes hand off, and repeat. I guess I just hold the needles close enough to the end that I don't have to take my hands off, I can just pick up the yarn with the needles. Hard to explain, sorry, but it's fun to try - really speeds you up!

I still don't have my square finished, since school started and I had way less time than I thought I would... but this is Labor Day weekend, hence Monday is a day off, so it will be done soon!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bright_blue_sky
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2004 05:59:42 PM »

try hats and mittens instead of sweaters as your step up from scarves. way quicker and easier too...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Cassiopia1
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2004 06:55:58 PM »

I know I'm joining this late, but I'm definitely joining. I'll finish up my square really soon! *power knits*

Err, yeah. Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged
indiaromeo
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2004 07:13:54 AM »

I think we've all been crawling along at our own paces with this one, Cassiopia1, so don't worry about your late start! We're glad to have you on board. Welcome! Smiley

Has anyone finished a square yet besides me? I was thinking that maybe we need to go ahead and move onto another step - just to keep things rolling. In case the square theme is getting too tedious, here are some suggestions that I've gotten from you for patterns that we could knit together:

The Sueet bag from Knitty (the only tricky step in this pattern is the 3 needle bind off used seam the bottom edges of the bag together - otherwise, it's knit in simple stockinette stitch): http://knitty.com/ISSUEspring04/PATTsueet.html

Also, a few folks suggested small projects like scarves,  hats, or mittens (mittens and hats could be done flat and seamed together in case there's fear of knitting in the round...)

There was also a suggestion for a poncho: http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEfall03/PATTponcho.html

And these patterns look like they might be easy and fun:
A drink cozy: http://www.chroniclebooks.com/Chronicle/excerpt/0811835332-e4.html
A cell phone cozy: http://www.chroniclebooks.com/Chronicle/excerpt/0811835332-e3.html

Any interest in one of those? Or do you all want to keep on with the squares?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kissjacksparrow

Love all. Live free

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2004 08:33:35 AM »

o started one of those cell phone cozy-thinggies but then got stuck.. i dont get how to make a buttonhole.. the instructions confuse me and i always end up doing it wrong. not sure y.  Undecided
THIS ROCKS   Logged
elysium
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2004 05:34:36 PM »

Ummm, I never actually got around to knitting up a garter square. But I did finish these:

Weekend Knitting Fingerless Mitts. They're mostly garter stich. (Throw in a few short rows and a buttonhole.) Does this count?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
indiaromeo
« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2004 12:22:56 PM »

elysium, those look great! i made that same pattern at the end of last winter, and i only got to wear them once or twice before it got too warm. i can't wait until it gets a little cooler so i can bust 'em out again!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cassiopia1
« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2004 11:55:32 AM »

All righty, I've finished up my square. Actually did a few days ago, but I've been pretty ill, so I couldn't get on the computer.

If we move from squares, I think that doing the cell phone cozy or the little handbag would be fun. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
coolbeans

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2004 12:25:32 PM »

So, for our squares, I haven't started mine I have lots of excuses like we just moved and I can't remember which box I put my knitting needles in and so I started to crochet an afghan instead.  Embarrassed  I'm so horrible.  I'll be looking for my needles this weekend and start it.  But I was just wondering what size needles should I use.  Thanks!!! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
indiaromeo
« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2004 12:48:07 PM »

Coolbeans, I think you should use whichever ones you find first! Smiley I applaud you for continuing to look for your lost needles - if I were you, I would've gotten impatient by now and would've rushed out to buy more. I'll take any excuse to go out and spend more $ (that I don't have) on knitting supplies - I'm a sucker!

Oh, and Cassiopia1, I'm leaning toward the Sueet bag, too. (Mostly 'cause I started one this summer and still haven't finished it - I'm hoping I might get some motivation to pick it up again if I knew others were doing it too...)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

taped_on_wings
Queen of ill-fated physical comedy

Leave the politics to madmen

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2004 11:39:18 PM »

Hmmmm...I'm thinking I shall join this.  I have SO much left-over yarn that is just sitting in a box.  But I've  just been too lazy/busy to start knitting up squares.  At least it's a small project that I can take to school with me.

Plus, thanks for the awesome poncho pattern!  I've been looking forever for a non knitting in the round poncho. 

~K
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.robotheartsquid.etsy.com
http://www.wists.com/taped_on_wings
http://theonlyevidence.blogspot.com/

Before birds get sucked into jet engines, do they ever think, "Is that Rod Stewart in first class?" ~Eddie Izzard
coolbeans

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2004 12:32:31 PM »

Yay!!! I found my needles!! I started my square and I suck.  It's loose at the beginning but it gets better.  I have 2 books that I got out at that library, open and trying to find the most comfortable technique.

The best of the books is called Knitting Basics by Betty Barnden http://www.amazon.ca/exec/obidos/ASIN/0764155466/wannalearnc0b-20/702-7509629-0628019.  Very helpful.

I'm also using Vogue Knitting Beginner Basics On the gohttp://www.amazon.ca/exec/obidos/ASIN/1931543313/qid%3D1097004596/702-7509629-0628019 That one is helpful because it shows the different style of casting on and knitting.  It also has projects for beginners to do.

There is a part on picking up dropped stitches but I'm not very good.  Oh well, practice makes perfect. Right? Cheesy
« Last Edit: October 05, 2004 06:21:25 PM by coolbeans » THIS ROCKS   Logged
coolbeans

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2004 11:40:31 AM »

Yay!!! I finished my square and well it's not really a square, somewhere in the middle I added on a stitch.  Then I fixed it so it's all lopsided. But I finished it!! So proud of myself.

I'm okay with doing squares.  I need a lot of practice.  Also, I don't trust myself to read a pattern and I'll probably end up botching it.  So, squares are good for me. 

What's the next stitch to work on? Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
elizajane1962
« Reply #30 on: October 11, 2004 07:54:04 PM »

Smiley I think I should join this. I'm finishing some fingerless glove/armwarmers and am actually in the middle of making a stockinette stitch afghan in 6" squares.  This will keep me motivated.  Maybe altering the different stitches in the squares will keep the afghan from becoming tedious.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
indiaromeo
« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2004 12:26:52 PM »

Coolbeans, I'm glad to hear you've made some progress. Awesome! And welcome aboard, elizajane - glad to have you with us!

So.... you ladies want to do another square, eh? I've been quite obsessed with seed stitch lately - how about that? It's easy! Here's a picture and directions for seed stitch from about.com. You have to be able to knit and purl, but that's it. Nothing too complicated.

Let's do this last square, and then we'll move onto a short & easy pattern. How 'bout everyone try to get their squares done by the 29th? That gives everyone a little over 2 weeks to try and squeeze it in. Sound good?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

april_cocaine
« Reply #32 on: October 12, 2004 01:07:53 PM »

hey, i hhink i'm gonna join. I'll make a scarf about 10 sqaures long, all with different stiches.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PixieSkull
Glittery Macabre

Nat 20! Woot!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #33 on: November 02, 2004 01:58:33 PM »

I'm in need of a new project that will relax me a tid bit more, I thought I would try this. If anything, I'd get a nice scarf out of this project Smiley

It's also great not to be alone in a project
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~*My Etsy Shop*~
I'm a level 9 rouge, b***h!
I do personal swaps!
livlif2thefulest
Always gonna be Craftin'

Fat Cat!

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 04, 2004 06:29:47 AM »

I wanna join! It would be a great way to use all of my excess yarn. I only know the basic garter (purl and knit) and s.s. YAY!  Grin
Jo
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Words to live by:
Live Life To The Fullest
Horse Power
« Reply #35 on: November 05, 2004 01:03:22 PM »

Hi, I'd like to join in for this: I do a lot of crochet, but not much knitting. I know the basic knit & purl but I need practice on new stitches - the hardest thing for me is keeping track of the numbers. (seems like I count and recount, and still often end a row with a different number of stitches than I started out with...)  I think I do better when I don't have the TV on ...  soon as somebody says a number I lose track of what I'm doing!

So I've started a scarf with the intention of doing the 'different stitches separated by some rows of garter' thing. My first segment was 'seafoam stitch', now I'm getting ready to start with the 'seed stitch'.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2011 08:59:02 PM by jungrrl » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Horse Power
« Reply #36 on: November 08, 2004 06:32:42 AM »

Hey, I made bobbles! My first ever bobbles!
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-7/781795/KnitBobblesSmallA.jpg
I figured out the directions from here:
http://www.diynet.com/diy/na_knitting/article/0,2025,DIY_14141_3125592,00.html
There's a little video on there, too, which I watched about five times and made notes from.
On this same page is another pattern & video for the 'Drop Stitch' which I put on my scarf right after the bobble row. I love this stitch. Easy, lacy and fast. She said it was good for using novelty yarns, so this may be what I use for my next scarf if I find any great yarns that I want to showcase.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2011 08:59:51 PM by jungrrl - Reason: changed non-working images to links. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

karahtalia
Queen of Unfinished Projects

Dangerous Kittyboy aka The Knitting Guineapig

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: November 08, 2004 10:22:47 AM »

Hello everyone, I am a little late, I think, but I would like to get in on tihs knitalong. I have been crocheting for years and just a month or so back decided to teach myself to knit. Which, I must say, has been an entertaining if not frustrating challenge. I am proficent in the long tailed cast on, and knitting and last week figured out, finally, how to purl correctly, which was cause for celebration since I was having a terrible time figuring it out. I am left handed which means I prefer the continental style of holding the yarn (in the left hand) which is probably much of the reason why purling was such a pill for me to master.

I have been following this thread for a few days now after someone from a recipe site forum I frequent suggested the site. I had started a scarf in a bit of old scrap synthetic yarn I had lying around....blaze orange... how i managed to acquire blaze orange yarn I will never know, and was just doing a real plain ribbed style. I decided after a foot of doing that to rip it out back to the beginning and do what someone suggested which is to SS for 10 rows then do a pattern for 20 then SS again and repeat. That is a simpy fabulous idea! Cheesy I can't bring myself to do squares, I hate doing squares in crocheting so already have a biased opinion of them. Smiley

Anyway now that I am babbling mindlessly, I would like to join in, I love seeing what everyone has done so far, once I get this next section done, I will take a pic and attempt to post it for all to snicker at. Tongue Thus far I have done a real basic but nice divided boxes stitch and now I am trying to do a small fountain stitch. I tried to do a vertical weave but apparently I did not learn how to count in Kindergarten and I changed my mind and went to a diferent pattern. Once I have figured out that 2 comes after 1 and not 3 I will try it again.   Grin

Wow, long first post.

Anyway, good luck everyone and I have loved what I have seen so far. They all look lovely.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Knitting is Knourishment Cheesy

http://www.irishwitch.blogspot.com/
Bumblebathproducts
« Reply #38 on: November 08, 2004 12:31:20 PM »

Hi Everyone,

You can DEFINITELY do the Sophie.  I just finsihed felting my first.  The bottom is garter stitch which is knit everyrow, and then you pick up stitches and then you just knit in the round.  SUPER EASY!!!

Join the Sophie Knitalong.  I'll be posting my picture tomorrow after it dries.

It's gorgeous!@!!!

Danielle
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Horse Power
« Reply #39 on: November 17, 2004 06:31:15 AM »

OK, I think I'm about done with this scarf, it's getting pretty long. I've enjoyed this project so much! I've learned how to increase, decrease, put loops back on the needle after frogging, do all these different stitches, and I'm much more comfortable with purling. I need some advice, though -  the edges of this thing are very wavy and uneven. Any suggestions on what to do about it? I can fold the edges under and have it look pretty good, but how do I attach/sew/align/cover the back? Should I just roll it up and keep it for reference, or can it still be made into a decent-looking scarf somehow?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

swampy
« Reply #40 on: January 25, 2005 02:31:07 PM »

i just saw this thread and thought 'how cool would it be if someone gathered all of these squares, made them into a blanket, or several blankets, and donated it to charity?'

i didn't read all of the posts, so someone may have written about this before. 

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide 2016: Painted Background
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide 2016: The Roaming Gnome
@Home This Weekend: Welcoming Door Decor

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...