A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 299,147
Currently Running With Scissors:
606 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: New Knitter Knitalong??  (Read 7793 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

cawfeehowse
« on: August 12, 2004 01:21:06 PM »

I wish there was a knitalong that's really easy for a new knitter.  I would love to join but all I can do is SS stitch and I'd really love more practice.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

elysium
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2004 01:36:00 PM »

Me too. If we can't find one we should just start one of our own. Like a basic sock knitalong. Or a toque knitalong or something.
Actually, I was thingking of joining the sophie knitalong. It doesn't look too hard.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
indiaromeo
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2004 01:40:32 PM »

You totally should start your own! Cheesy

I'm teaching a friend to crochet and knit by helping her make swatches of patterns. Eventually, we're going to stitch them all together to make a sampler-style afghan. You could do something like that really easily. For example, you could start off by giving everyone a week or two to knit a 4 inch by 4 inch square in garter stitch. Then, the next time, you could do a square in 2x2 ribbing. Slowly but surely, you'll work your way toward harder and harder patterns - eventually, you could work your way up to cable and intarsia patterns! The cool thing is that you'll be teaching yourself new techniques and patterns along the way while you're working toward the final project. Totally do-able, don'tcha think?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lovely things for lovely people: www.indiaromeo.com
Because MALL is a four-letter word: www.thehandmademarket.com
Handcrafted adornments for body & home: www.thehandmaidens.com
cheekymamaof2
It doesn't feel like exercise when you're wearing chiffon.

Forget Stitch n Bitch. Nurse n Knit!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2004 01:51:21 PM »

That is a great idea! Im so in if this gets going Smiley I can knit and purl and do ribbing, but I am so wanting to learn more patterns and stitches Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BOYCOTT SEW FAST SEW EASY!
visit www.freetostitchfreetobitch.org
my blogs can be found at livejournal (cheekymama) and blogspot (cheekymamaof2)
indiaromeo
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2004 01:57:46 PM »

If anyone else is interested, I'd be glad to start/host a knitalong. I think it would be fun!
« Last Edit: August 12, 2004 01:59:41 PM by IndiaRomeo » THIS ROCKS   Logged

cawfeehowse
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2004 07:05:38 PM »

I'd love to join.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

alyshajane
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2004 10:09:09 PM »

I'd love to join, too! I've only made scarves and small things like cozies so far. A knitalong for new knitters sounds awesome! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
indiaromeo
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2004 08:19:20 AM »

Alright! I think this is great. Although I've been knitting for a while now, I've been wanting a reason to try new patterns and techniques, but I'm not ready to commit to doing the TKGA master knitter thing, so this is perfect! I'm glad you're all up for this - I think it'll be fun!

So here's my idea. Let's all agree to do a certain number of squares to start us off... let's say, 20. (Is that too many? Not enough? If you want, we could leave the actual number undecided so folks can work at their own pace and join/drop out as they wish.)

For at least the first few squares, I think everyone should work on the same pattern at the same time. That way there can be discussion of problems while everyone is at the same place, and hopefully everyone can trade tips to help each other out. Maybe after everyone gets comfy, everyone can branch out and try patterns on their own. But for the time being, I think it would be helpful to keep everyone working on the same thing at the same time.

Sound good so far? If you have any ideas/suggestions, speak up!

So if everyone's ready, get your needles and yarn ready for the 1st square! Here are some basic guidelines/suggestions: You can pick whatever kind of yarn you want. (While I've been doing this with my friend, I've been using this project as an excuse to use up ends of skeins and odd balls of worsted weight yarn in my stash.) However, just keep in mind that you may want to work in a smooth type of yarn so you can see your stitches clearly (so eyelash or a nubby novelty yarn might not be good here). Also, if you want to stitch your squares together to make a blanket or pillow or something, you might want to keep that in mind as you start off so you can remember to color coordinate your yarn squares.

How 'bout for the first square, everyone do a square of garter stitch (knit all rows or purl all rows). You can make your square as big or as small as you want, but I think a 4 or 5 inch square is a good size to start.

Here are some websites that might be helpful as everyone gets started:
http://knitting.about.com/od/learningtoknit/
http://helloknitty.com/videoinstr.htm

Ok, everyone, let's get to it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bluedog
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2004 09:28:39 AM »

Is this knit-a-long a "go"?  I'd love to take part in it.  I'm a fairly new knitter and am tired of garter stitch scarves, but am overwhelmed by the sweaters I've attempted.  I think a project like this is just what I need.  The squares are small, so their is a sense of completion but I'll still be able to learn some new techniques.

I have a great book called The Knitting Stitch Bible
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0873493583/qid=1092846085/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/103-8319340-1743023?v=glance&s=books
It shows tons and tons of different techniques and styles.  I've been wanting to try so many of them, but haven't had the chance.

Let me know if this knit-a-long is being hosted somewhere else or if I should just post here. Thanks

~Kristen
THIS ROCKS   Logged
indiaromeo
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2004 09:51:20 AM »

Hey bluedog, I'm glad you're interested! I *think* this is a go - no one else has posted since last week, but I'm hoping everyone saw the message and is home knitting away at their 1st squares right now. Wink But maybe I should send folks a PM to do a roll call just to be safe...

In response to your question re: where to post, if Cawfeehowse doesn't mind us stealing her thread, I say we should go ahead and keep posting our results/comments/questions here, unless you all think it would be better to start a new one.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Frank Lloyd Wright or An Igloo? Sexy Homes on Airbnb
Granite Vs. Laminate: Sustainability Below the Surface
Gardens of the Atomic Age: Landscaping Eichler Homes
Visitability: Smart Design Tips For Accessible Kitchens
Taking the Long View: How Not to Ruin the Eames House
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Embellished Guest Towels
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hostess Gift
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...