A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 296,378
Currently Running With Scissors:
563 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: AHEM... Question about altered books  (Read 596 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Berry Apple
« on: July 30, 2006 06:32:09 AM »

Erm, from what I can gather, these are books that have pictures and/or writing covering the original text? Correct me if I'm wrong. Also, what would you actually do with an altered book?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
siclady
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2006 06:36:52 AM »

Yes, I think you're right. Have a look at this page: http://www.art-e-zine.co.uk/
THIS ROCKS   Logged

me on Ravelry ~~ my etsy shop -> row counter bracelets
*so in love with my cop* Slave of Kolat Master ~~  me knitting on blogspot
Stephen Weaver
Textile boffin

Crusader for a day.....

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2006 03:04:01 PM »

Berry, there is a very good AlteredBooks group on yahoo, which has extensive online archives so you can see what other people are doing.  Also if you goooogle the term, you will come up with many many sites and galleries for further ideas.  As to "What are they for?", well what is most art "for"? Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Enthusiastic worker in almost all textile media, currently heavily involved in theatrical costumes.  Also love papier-mach and mosaic work and gardening.  Happy to meet new people too. 
I DO STASH SWAPS - SEND ME YOUR EXCESS OR UNWANTED MATERIALS AND I WILL SEND MINE!
Subversive

Living in hope

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2006 06:24:01 AM »

Here's a good place to start learning about altered books: http://www.littlebit.com/ab/alteredmain.htm  The links page takes you to a lot of other artists' gallery pages.  The Yahoo group mentioned above is a really good one.  There are also several books in the Design Originals series (small booklets packed with crafting information) - NO idea if they are available in the UK (check with your local library?), but I recommend Altered Books 101 and 102 and the Altered Books Materials Guide.

Here's the site of a woman who does incredible altered books http://www.karenswhimsy.com/- you might also want to look at "The Humament" http://www.tomphillips.co.uk/humument/index.html, which is sort of considered to be the granddaddy of all altered books.  Not everyone uses the text on the page in the way these two artists do, but I love the "found poetry" aspect of it.

Some folks use these techniques to alter a journal, leaving part of the pages blank to write on (particularly to explore art topics and techniques); other folks just turn the whole book into an art object.  Sometimes the title/content of the book reflects the topic/theme they express in their artistic transformation of it, but sometimes it's just a sturdy, well-made book that will hold up to the "abuse."  (For instance, I just bought a Russian grammar book because I think the pages will be interesting to work on, not because I have any affinity for Russian.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Capultum habeo.  Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis ad caput tuum saxem mittam.  (Translation:  I have a catapult.  Give me all your money or Ill fling enormous rocks at your head.)
heini
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2006 11:17:28 AM »

but what would you use altered books for?
Well, in my opinion you don't have to use them for anything. Turning a useless book into a piece of art is better  than throwing it away or just having it in your bookshelf even if you or anyone else never reads it.

But, if you want, you can also make usefull altered books. I have one gardening diary, in which I've wrote more or less important things about gardening. I'm a beginner, so I don't know exactly how to do everything, for example I've had problems with my tomatoes, but now they're fine. I've written about that, so I hope I won't make the same mistakes again next year. I also have some plants in my mom's backyard and I drew a map about it and next year it will propably be helpfull when I/we decide where to put different plants. I also love altering books, so this is a great excuse to do so..

To me turning an useless book into a usefull book is important part of altering. I've used an old school book, because it's so old my little sister or anyone can't use it at school. I've used another old school book as my Christmas book, in which I've included many Christmas recipes (mostly desserts), some Christmas cards and stuff like that. In the future I think I'll make some cook books too. For them, I'll propably buy some Readers Digest -books from a second hand shop, because I think nobody really reads them ever and they would be better than school books.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2006 12:04:40 PM »

Use the "search" function & search "altered books" for info & images.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster has gone mobile!!  Read the news here.
Subversive

Living in hope

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2006 08:45:24 AM »

I borrowed a book yesterday from the library called "New Directions in Altered Books" by Gabe Cyr that is really the best I've found of the books currently available on the topic.  If you're interested in this artform, I highly recommend it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Capultum habeo.  Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis ad caput tuum saxem mittam.  (Translation:  I have a catapult.  Give me all your money or Ill fling enormous rocks at your head.)
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Top Fall Fashion Trends For the Whole Family
Jessie J Shows Off Her Curves in Hot Pink
Fall 2013 Trends to Wear for Curvy Girls
Would You Wear Embellished Pants Like Elle Fanning?
Darren Criss Vs. Avan Jogia Fashion Faceoff at 2013 Do Something Awards
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Melted Crayon Painting
More Art, Less Craft
Meatless Monday: No Bake Lime Cheesecake

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...