A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 302,555
Currently Running With Scissors:
754 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Where to buy yarn: Questions, Suggestions, and Testimonials  (Read 12735 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

dewbaby00
Check this out...

View Profile WWW
« on: August 12, 2004 10:14:34 AM »

Hello everyone my mom lives in Tacoma Washington and I live in Gillette Wyoming she wants me to make a bunch of blankets and shawls for her friends family in Africa and we are trying to find cheap yarn online we were wondering if anyone knows of a site. I once found a site with cheap yarn but it was months ago and I don't have it under favorites anymore. Please help and thank you.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2006 07:48:58 PM by vanillaxlight » THIS ROCKS   Logged

hudelei
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2004 01:15:10 PM »

You might be able to get cheap yarn on eBay, if you were willing to put in the time bidding.  Another place I buy yarn a lot is Smiley's Yarns:  http://www.smileysyarns.com/ .  They have a $30 minimum per order, but it sounds like you wanted to buy in bulk anyway.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
amie

Get Hooked on Style!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2004 04:37:31 AM »

I'm a big fan of www.woolneedlework. com as their prices are much cheaper than all of the places I've visited.  I don't recall a minimum per order, but they have a no exchange/refund policy though.  They sell Berocco, which I love!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

amie

Get Hooked on Style!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2004 04:43:07 AM »

I almost forgot that I was going to say something about Ebay...

I've tried to buy on Ebay, but there's rarely a good deal on yarn that's more costly.  I'm not sure about the cheaper yarns, but I know that (for example I'll choose a very expensive yarn) Colinette which usually goes for $26 can be found for like maybe $17 a hank, but at woolneedlework.com they'll sell it to you for like $15, so why bother waiting for the auction to end?!  Again, I'm only referring to expensive yarn.  I haven't looked at cheaper yarns like Caron and Red Heart.  One last thing, there are lots of people selling their own hand-dyed yarns on Ebay.  They look yummy, but the only strike against that is they don't tend to sell them in dye lots;  you never know if you buy from them again if the yarn will be the same, or close to it.  The upshot is that they offer some very beautiful yarns for a reasonable price, for being hand-dyed I mean.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

dewbaby00
Check this out...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2004 09:23:21 AM »

Thank you so much for the links I will email them to my mom when she gets home from her vacation on the 18th. She is wanting me to make several blankets an shawls as presents for Chirstmas.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

hudelei
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2004 10:10:47 AM »

I'm glad to hear about woolneedlework.com.  It's amazing how hard it is to find the good yarn sites except by word of mouth! 

I actually found a rugmaker on eBay a few months ago who had apparently bought lots of yarn in bulk and some of it was not suitable for the kinds of rugs she made.  She was unloading it cheap (CHEAP!) but of course, you couldn't be sure what you were getting.  Some of the yarn I got from her was absolutely gorgeous, but I haven't a clue of the fiber content, washing instructions, gauge I can expect it to work up at, or anything.  It has meant some experimentation, to say the least, and I have to say, I don't find too many offers like that on eBay and to find them I have to be having one of my major bouts of insomnia and be spending way, way too much time there!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
amie

Get Hooked on Style!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2004 01:20:31 PM »

I can agree with what you're saying.  I've rarely found a good deal and I've yet to actually win one!  And you're also right about those grab bags.  They aren't for crocheters or knitters, more for people who do rugs and things.  You never know what you're getting or how to care for unlabeled yarns.  I like woolneedleworks because they have a great selection of mostly mid-priced yarns for less money.  It's worth a look at before your next purchase.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

amie

Get Hooked on Style!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2004 08:12:12 AM »

I checked out elann.com too.  I'd been there once before, but I went back to take another look.  You're right.  They DO have some good deals.  I'll be looking there a little more often from now on.  Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

hudelei
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2004 05:31:25 AM »

I just ran across another good source for yarn (and they have a bargain bin!):

http://www.discountyarnsale.com/index.htm

I haven't actually ordered from them (I think I found the site somehow a month or two ago, bookmarked it, and forgot about).

There are a couple of things you have to know about their policies though, and the first is that they seem to sell in multiple-skein quantities, so this might not be the place to go to find a skein or two for a scarf.  They've got a $30 minimum order too.  What this would be ideal for would be stocking up on yarn for a larger project. 

Just looking a few minutes ago, I saw everything from Red Heart and Lion Brand to Knit One Crochet Too and Himalaya recycled silk.  It's worth a look.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
capecodred
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2004 09:05:05 AM »

Hey Dew..

Also.. try "Webs" online.. very cheap warehouse in Massachusetts (Amherst area)... sells bundles and big skeins as well...

Pat
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Mulligatawny Recipe
Vegetable Stir Fry Recipe
Learn About Indian Food
Fragrant Thai Curry Dinner
Wood Ear, Gold Needle, and Egg Stir Fry
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...