A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 297,701
Currently Running With Scissors:
728 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Any knitters in Hawaii?  (Read 2327 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

kjtendyke
« on: July 29, 2006 08:02:21 PM »

I've been sorta tossing around the idea of moving to Hawaii. I'm not very fimiliar with what goes on down there, as I've never been. But the idea of just selling all my stuff and moving sounds so exilerating. I'm curious what the knitting "scene" is like there. Are there yarn stores? Is it really too warm to desire knitting? What kinds of things do you (if you live there) enjoy making?

And off the topic of knitting... what's it like?

I hope there's someone here who can feed my curiousity.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

dancingbarefoot
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2006 12:40:25 AM »

I went to grad school in Honolulu, and there was no knitting at all at the time (until 2003). I never saw one single person knitting besides myself. There's one yarn shop that I know of, but it's small and has erratic hours. I knit because I enjoy it, but I usually ordered the yarn online.

You wouldn't need warm clothing, but you can still knit accessories and such, or knit gifts for people living in colder places.

Anyway, living there is fun, but it's just a place like anywhere else, with good sides and bad sides. Smiley
« Last Edit: July 30, 2006 12:48:46 AM by dancingbarefoot » THIS ROCKS   Logged

1. All fungi are edible.
2. Some fungi are not edible more than once.
~~Terry Pratchett~~

my blog | index of free machine knitting patterns
bigeyes
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2006 09:42:58 AM »

I will be soon!  We're moving to the big island within the next 3 or 4 months.  My husband has already prepared me for ordering everything online and paying megabucks for shipping.

I've googled and so far I can't find Michaels, Hobby Lobby or Ben Franklin, so I'm guessing there are no big chain craft stores at all.   But....they have Coldstone and Jamba Juice!  So, it's not a total loss. Wink

THIS ROCKS   Logged

if you can't lie no better than that......you might as well tell the truth.
dawnmari
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2006 09:54:25 AM »

Dear kjtendyke,

Interesting question ... I've lived here (O'ahu) all my life and to be honest, I don't see a lot of people wearing knitted clothing except maybe those ponchos.  I think we have one store that specializes in yarns and for craft stores, we have Ben Franklin Crafts Supplies and  a store called Craft Supply.  I know that Walmart has yarn too.

I agree with dancingbarefeet that "it's a place like anywhere else, with good sides and bad sides".  If you have any specific questions, please don't hesitate to ask me!!

take care,
Dawn
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kundalini
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2006 03:43:10 AM »

There are some knitters in Hawaii - but not many.  I know that there is a Yahoo group set up called Aloha Knitters - I think they try to meet at least once a month, but I am not sure.

There are a few yarn stores in Honolulu, but I haven't been to any since I moved back here and brought a small stash with me.  Novelty yarns are all the rage at most stores right now since a lot of people use those to crochet leis. 

Here's a list of some yarn stores in Honolulu.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesnt go away.  - Philip K. Dick
sweetlysedated
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2006 12:00:40 AM »

Hey There,
Someone previously mentioned Aloha knitters we actually try to meet up once a week. There are seperate groups of ladies though that meet on one side and then down in honolulu (that's the one I go to)

And Ben franklins, craft supply and walmart were already mentioned.
There are a couple others too, I'll post a link to the site that lists all of them and the addy's for them.
http://www.dailyknitter.com/shopsHI.html

There is not really a large amount of people that I have found to knit with. But the few that I have found are wonderful people.
And as time goes by knitting may catch on even more here, who knows.  But good luck!

Oh P.S. Crocheting seems to be more popular here, very much so.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Dance, Sing, Love, Live
And Craft! lots of Craft!!

http://listography.com/kapi
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Customize Your Template Design
How to Create a Quick Poster Part 1
How to Create a Quick Poster Part 2
Learn how to change the background
How to Make a Snake Game in Flash
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...