A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 297,492
Currently Running With Scissors:
558 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: carved erasers as rubber stamps?  (Read 1367 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

trufflegirl

chocolatiere extraordinaire

View Profile
« on: August 12, 2004 09:46:09 AM »

My mother bought me a little stamp a while back when she was at a folk festival, and it appears to be carved out of a basic white vinyl eraser. It seems like a fairly simple thing to do, either with an exacto knife or (preferably) fine carving tools like you'd use for lino cutting. I was just wondering if anyone has tried this, and has any words of advice, before I jump in and start slashing up erasers?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. --- Dorothy Parker
indiaromeo
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2004 10:10:38 AM »

I think any sort of eraser will work, although if you can find a stiff rubber eraser (like an art gum type eraser), it would probably work the best - just 'cause it'll hold up to your jabbing and slicing into it to make the shapes. I think the ones I've used were kinda like these: http://www.dickblick.com/zz215/07/products.asp?param=0&ig_id=1347

I remember the only tricky part was that the erasers would get crumbly as you cut them, so you'd have to brush them off really well so you wouldn't get little pieces of eraser dust on your print or in your ink/paint.

For cutting tools, you can use the same types of tools you'd use for carving lineoleum (you can find these at art/craft stores), or you could use x-acto knives or even scissors.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lovely things for lovely people: www.indiaromeo.com
Because MALL is a four-letter word: www.thehandmademarket.com
Handcrafted adornments for body & home: www.thehandmaidens.com
xmelinda
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2004 08:57:44 AM »

I have made stamps many times using those gum erasers -- the tan-colored crumbly kind -- and an x-acto knife.  It works just fine as long as you aren't trying to make anything super-elaborate or detailed.  It works well for letters.  You have to be pretty careful while cutting your design, because it's very easy to accidentally cut too much or nick the edges of the design.

I haven't tried to cut rubber erasers, but my feeling is that you'd probably have to use linoleum cutters on that, and it seems like it would be awfully easy to cut yourself trying that.  Similarly, I think the tan gum erasers are probably *too* easily cut for linoleum tools, but maybe others have a much steadier hand than I do!

What I do is draw the design on the eraser with a ballpoint or gel pen, then cut a little bit at a time with the x-acto knife.  Easiest thing is to make a little cut, then use the tip of the knife to sort of pick away at the bits of eraser you want to remove.

Melinda
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I live in that place between conception and execution" -- IQJones
pipu

pipu said "peep!"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2004 02:11:48 PM »

I've carved stamps from erasers using lino cutting tools.  It works really well.  Also, Speedball makes a sheet of soft pink rubber carving medium that is basically the same stuff, just bigger.  Here's one of the stamps I carved from the rubber medium (the red "grunions"):

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Tim Federle Reading Better Nate
Your Network Is Your Net Worth by Porter Gale
The Program by Suzanne Young
Mary Higgins Clark: The Queen of Suspense
What Did Thatcher and Churchill Have in Common?
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...