A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 302,013
Currently Running With Scissors:
567 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: IK Gatsby Girl Gauge (GGG) Question  (Read 500 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

dialectic material
« on: July 29, 2006 03:36:31 PM »

okay, i LOVE the gatsby girl pullover in the new IK mag.  -- found here: http://www.interweave.com/knit/interweave_knits/preview/2006_fall.asp

but i can't bear spending $80 for a sweater, so i want to substitute yarns.  but my problem is this:
1) IK says use rowan cashshoft DK -- gauge 28sts & 36rows/4" on sizes 4 and 3 needles.
2) Rowan says that cashsoft DK's gauge is actually 5.5sts/1" or 22sts/4" on size 6 needles.

so do i buy a DK weight substitute and knit really tightly on size 4 needles?  do i buy a fingering weight yarn and knit regularly on size 4 needles?  is there a possibility IK made a typo and really i should be on the larger needles?

HELP!!!

or if anyone has any specific yarn subsitution suggestions that would be amazing.

thanks in advance.

-m
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ain't no power like the power of the people cuz the power of the people don't stop
dancingbarefoot
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2006 12:48:03 AM »

Actually, DK on 4's sounds just about perfect to me.  Wink

Personally, I'd go the route of order whichever one of those calculations requires the most yarn. Better to have too much than not enough. Reason being, those needle sizes are only suggested, not set in stone. The important thing is getting gauge, whether you need size 2 or size 16, so until you have the yarn and can swatch it, it's not possible to know for sure.

Knowing how tightly you knit will help to estimate. For me, fingering weight with US4 needles would be nearly lace, because the stockinette would be so loose, and it wouldn't meet the gauge requirements. So knowing my own knitting, I'd choose DK. Your mileage may vary, of course.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

1. All fungi are edible.
2. Some fungi are not edible more than once.
~~Terry Pratchett~~

my blog | index of free machine knitting patterns
soozeq
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2006 05:08:01 AM »

For whatever reason, the stitch gauge on yarn labels is nearly always done on needles a size or two smaller than the patterns that actually use the yarn. Even the yarn company's patterns. And some patterns use smaller needles. I think it's there to indicate which thickness of yarn it is - fingering, dk, worsted, bulky, etc, or 2, 3, 4, 5. And your own gauge will vary, so you may need to try out the yarn on various needles to see what gauge *you* get.

sue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sue
xchinagurlyx
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2006 11:56:50 AM »

Is the gauge listed over the stitch pattern?  Because ribbing and cables (that's what I think I see in the teeny picture--- why haven't I gotten my copy yet??) will create more stitches to the inch.  I think your best bet is to just swatch with yarn you have on hand (I keep leftovers for this purpose) and see which thickness of yarn you like. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dialectic material
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2006 12:56:17 PM »

thank you!

i should know better...the golden rule of gauge checking.  i'm thinking of using one of these 2 yarns from elann.com

peruvian highland silk http://secure.elann.com/productdisp.asp?NAME=elann%2Ecom+Peruvian+Highland+Silk&Season=&Company=&Cat=&ProductType=5&OrderBy=&Count=10

or the peruvian pure alpaca http://secure.elann.com/productdisp.asp?NAME=elann%2Ecom+Peruvian+Pure+Alpaca&Season=&Company=&Cat=NEW&ProductType=&OrderBy=&Count=1
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ain't no power like the power of the people cuz the power of the people don't stop
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Summer Beauty Tips
How to Reinvent Your Look for Summer on a Budget
Male Grooming Tips
Hair Color Tips
How to Curl Your Hair With a Flat Iron
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Patriotic Planter
Summertime Sweetness: Fruit Salsa & Cinnamon Chips
Fire Up the Grill: Jerk Steak

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...