A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 296,699
Currently Running With Scissors:
637 Guests and 28 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Need some help  (Read 443 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

TokyoSnow
« on: October 03, 2006 09:20:22 PM »

I've been doing cross stitch for a few years now but I know I'm doing it wrong. I have no idea how to make the picture fit on the canvas from the pattern. I haven't figured that out yet. Please help me.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Mrsblocko

It's not only sticious, it's SUPER!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2006 10:07:55 AM »

I think I understand what you are asking.  Please correct me if I'm wrong. I like to find the center of the design on the pattern paper. I will mark that with a pencil.  Then I fold the fabric in quarters.  At the point where all the folds meet I will put a little loop of thread, and loosely tie the ends together.  So you've now got a floppy loose loop of thread where the center of your fabric is.  I usually stitch from the middle out. 

You can also do what is called gridding.   It is tedious and time consuming but will save you a lot of heartache in the end, esp if it is a large design.  Most patterns have darker lines for every 10th square.  If you baste a row horizontally and verticaly for every 10th square on your fabric, you will have a grid on your fabric that matches the one on your fabric.

Sometimes, in kits, they give you too small of a piece of fabric.  One way to figure out if that is the case is to:
First find out what count fabric you have.  Get a ruler out and count how many squares on your fabric there are per inch.  A fair amount of kits have 14 count aida in them.  Then you want to figure out what your stitch count is of your pattern.  most of the time it is listed somewhere on the chart, if not, count it out.  Let's say it's 140 x 70.  You divide the stitch count of your fabric by your fabric count.  in this case 140 divided by 14 and 70 divided by 14  This will give you a design that is 10 x 5.  But you want at least 2 inches on all sides for framing or making into whatever.  Remember there are 4 sides to your project.  For this example it would be 10+2+2 and 5+2+2.  so a finished piece of fabric that is 14 x 9.

I hope this is helpful!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TokyoSnow
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2006 09:31:46 PM »

Thank you so much. That really does help me a lot. Thank you, Thank you, Thank you.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Artist Uses Mouth to Paint
Art of VIBE: How & Nosm Go From Tagging Trains to 4-Story Buildings
Glen Berger Tells The Back Story of Spider-Man: Turn Off The Dark
Light and Movement Digitally Added to Van Gogh Paintings
This Artist Uses Bananas as His Palettes
Latest Blog Articles
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...