A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 298,757
Currently Running With Scissors:
529 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Dishcloth Question  (Read 400 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

JennJenn

I have my hands full...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: July 28, 2006 02:36:56 PM »

I'm embarrassed to even be asking this.  What kind of yarn should I use for making dishcloths?  I thought cotton, but everything I look at says to hand-wash cold- that doesn't sound hot, soapy water friendly! 

So, do I use whatever cotton stuff I can find, or is there something specific I should be looking for? 

I don't want anything that might scratch up my fancy-pants pots and pans either.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

...Of knitting, sewing, crochet, and so much more!
geekette

I'd rather die terrified than live forever.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2006 02:40:35 PM »

i'd assume acrylic yarn would be just fine, and it shoudlnt be too scratchy.....but  then again im nit a yarn expert.  all i know is that acrylic is machine washable, so it should work.  oh, and i'd avoid using animal fibers, such as wool or alpaca, because they will felt when used with hot, soapy water. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ScotSkipper402
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2006 02:42:48 PM »

Acrilic won't absorb water. Try Peaches N Cream cotton yarn from Joannes, WalMart, etc.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"For what do we exist, but to laugh at our neighbors and be laughed at in our turn?"

My stash of supplies is now Beyond Life Expectancy. I love personal swaps! http://www.wists.com/redmennis
kristieb

Compulsive Crafter

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2006 02:48:27 PM »

The cotton yarn I use is the cheapest crap you can buy from Walmart. It usually has dishcloth patterns on the label. I find the Peaches n' cream stuff to be more expensive than the cheap crap I use.

Only was in cold water if you don't wan't something to shrink or fade in color. It's a dishcloth...so, you probably don't care. I wash mine in hot water with bleach (gets rid of the germies). They'll last you forever and you can always stictch mend them when they fall apart and put 'em in your rag pile.

I've made about a million of these things. Message me if you want patterns or advice on knitting them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftykate
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2006 02:49:31 PM »

I'm with ScotSkipper402, peaches 'n cream works well, so does the sugar 'n cream, or lion cotton yarn. I've made a few with other cottons that said hand wash cold water, and they have been ok. I just made them a little bigger than what I wanted to make up for any shrinking caused by the hot water. The color might bleed on yarn that's supposed to be washed in cold water so I'd keep that in mind too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://craftykate.etsy.com

Yep, it's a knit blog
http://craftykate-knits.blogspot.com/

wanna trade? I heart personal swaps.
JennJenn

I have my hands full...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2006 04:10:57 PM »

Thanks, everyone!  I was pretty sure only animal fiber felted, but in the back of my head I was afraid maybe the cotton would.  Shrinkage and color bleeding makes sense.
I'm thinking I'll stockpile these things and use them for Christmas gifts.  As nice instant gratification item when I'm working on something bigger.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

...Of knitting, sewing, crochet, and so much more!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Contour and Highlight Your Face
How You Should Be Exfoliating Your Skin
How to Find the Right Red Lipstick for You
Jeannine Morris Gives You the Best Winter Beauty Secrets
Best New Beauty Products for March
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie
Amazing Altered Puzzles
Meatless Monday: Cottage Cheese Mousse

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...