A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 302,138
Currently Running With Scissors:
519 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: SnB chinese charm bag handle substitution suggestions  (Read 1513 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

shellim4
« on: July 28, 2006 11:40:48 AM »

Hello,
I'd love this SnB bag but I'd like to have handles that are a little longer so I could put it over my shoulder. I was wondering if I could make I-cord to an appropriate length and sew the ends together forming a circle and then attaching it like the bamboo handles. Would this work? Would the I-cord be sturdy enough or will it be too stretchy? Or does anyone have any other ideas?
Shelli
THIS ROCKS   Logged
virginiawoolf
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2006 11:06:56 AM »

hmmm... tricky. I wouldn't go the i-cord route myself, just because it won't keep its shape when you wear it. If you do decide to do i-cord straps, I would attach them to the bad like regular straps instead of as a circle. But, that'a just me!

You could always use some wire (or something), mold it into a large circle, and then either cover it in some interesting fabric or wrap it in your yarn. Then, you could substitute these larger handles for the bamboo.

Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"A canadian is someone who can make love in a canoe."
Le blog: http://emmasfavouritethings.blogspot.com/
shellim4
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2006 11:35:31 AM »

Thanks for the wire idea. That could be interesting. I'll have to mull that over. I bet you could come up with something neat. The other thing I thought of was stringing something through the icord like the cord you can buy for sewing for making trim. I can't think of the right word for it.
Thanks.
Shelli
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Glitterbrain
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2006 11:26:08 PM »

You could use embroidery circles.  --Sorry, I don't know what those things are called Huh-- but a few weeks ago I made a knitting bag and used the rubber part from those things that you use to hold your embroidery work. They come in big sizes, so you get the look of the circular handle, with the size that goes over the shoulder. You know, the cheap ones that have a rubber ring and a plastic ring?  Anyway, I hope I'm making sense... Wooden ones might look cool too.  I liked the way mine turned out...Anyway, just a thought. Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
shellim4
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2006 08:29:28 PM »

That's a good idea too! Now I have to decide which way I want to try.   Grin
Thaniks.
Shelli
P.S. On the wire idea, I was thinking of forming a circle with a heavy wire and stringing it with big wooden beads. Then I'd get the wood look but I can make them the size I want. I'm not sure what to put in the area where it connects to the bag though. It would be hard to wrap the yarn around beads and I would think the plain wire would be too skinny.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
virginiawoolf
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2006 07:58:41 PM »

oooh, that's a cool idea! You wouldn't even have to wrap the yarn around it...just leave the wooden beads exposed for a bamboo-ish look. You could also easily hide the connected part when you attach the handles to the bag.

Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"A canadian is someone who can make love in a canoe."
Le blog: http://emmasfavouritethings.blogspot.com/
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Blanket Stitch
How to Create Your Own Party Bag
How to Sew Your Own Personalized Apron
How to Sew a Cute Little Purse
How to Fold a Table Napkin into a Rose
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Creating a Travel Journal
Eggs? Eggzactly!
Meatless Monday: Kale Yeah!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...