A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 300,948
Currently Running With Scissors:
499 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Modified Apron-Like Tops ***first post*** edited to add tutorial  (Read 17053 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

BionicPassenger

Madame Mustache, modern-day pirate extraordinaire.

View Profile WWW
« on: July 28, 2006 10:33:25 AM »

Last summer in France, I saw the girls wearing these utilitarian, modified apron-like dresses over their t-shirts and jeans. I really liked the look. After fooling around with some fabric I had lying around, I came up with these. Sorry for the crappy quality of pics - my camera is not the best. I got the pattern for the pocket on this board somewhere, but I can't remember who first posted it. (It's a round pocket that ties.) Thanks to that lovely woman or man! The straps snap into the aprons. I covered the snaps with decorative buttons.

The red one was the first I made. There were a lot of mistakes, but I'm pleased with how it turned out. I used leftover ribbon for the straps.

front view

detail

The green one is the second one I made. I made the straps from the same fabric as the apron itself.

front view

back view

detail of snap

Really crappy, mini-tutorial:

I used about 1 yard (a little less for the red, a little more for the green) of fabric.

Constructing the pattern:
   The body of this apron is composed of 2 pieces.
   The front is essentially a rectangle with a triangle at the bottom. The rectangle should be long enough to cover from your mid-chest (or where you want the top of the apron to lie) to your waist or hips. The triangle is not a separate piece. I simply drew a line from the rectangle's end on one side out until I had a satisfactory flare. I then folded the paper at the centre of the rectangle's top edge, and used the side I had cut out for the skirt flare as a guide to cut out the other side.
   The back is the skirt back. I used the triangle front of the apron as a guide to cut out the back piece, and cut the top edge of the back piece of the skirt low, riding my hips.

Construction:
1. I sewed the front piece of the skirt to the back piece of the skirt, lining up the sides. Unfortunately, when I tried it on, I couldn't really squeeze into it. In order to fit these bellydancer hips, I had to make those rather odd, squared-off cutouts at the waist to ensure a fit.

2. The straps - I sewed snaps to the ends of the straps and to the top edge of the apron. I folded the strap in such a way that the snap would not be visible, sewed it in place, and sewed a decorative button on the outside. This was probably an over-complicated method, but I had these really cute buttons I wanted to use. I then snapped the front to the straps, and had someone help me pin them at a cross in the back evenly. Then from the cross, I pulled the straps down to the back of the skirt, and marked the places where I wanted each strap to end (again, with an assistant's help). I then sewed the straps in the back to the places I had marked and at the cross.

I hope this makes sense!!!
« Last Edit: July 28, 2006 01:01:48 PM by BionicPassenger » THIS ROCKS   Logged

-- As the unholy offspring of Genghis Khan and his bookish 4th mistress, I have the rather disconcerting habit of screaming KHAAAN!!!! intermittently while knitting and crafting.
KungFuGirlfriend
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2006 10:37:35 AM »

Oh, I love those! I especially like the fabrics you used on the red one. I've been really wanting to make an apron type dress and I think you just inspired me to get to work.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pinkxpops
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2006 11:59:29 AM »

these are adorable! i love the crisscross in the back! great job
THIS ROCKS   Logged
emiwcch
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2006 12:07:11 PM »

that's really cute! i've never really seen something quite like that, and i like it! any chance of a tute? or a simple how-to? pretty please??
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Know your onion!
OKmetro

where the hell is my moustache?

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2006 12:10:25 PM »

Oo, those are adorable. It'd be super cute if someone made a longer one -and tada!- jumper!

ps, i agree with emiwcch, pretty pretty please?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
yellowblanket
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2006 07:19:21 PM »

*gasp* i love that! the fabrics go so well together Smiley i've been meaning to try my hand at aprons, too. thanks so much for the tut!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

my wists: http://www.wists.com/yellowblanket

will knit for: earrings, cloth pads, homemade soaps, and handspun yarn. PM me if you want to swap!
emiwcch
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2006 12:09:33 PM »

thank you soooooo much for the tute!! it's next on my to-do list!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Know your onion!
BionicPassenger

Madame Mustache, modern-day pirate extraordinaire.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2006 02:00:51 PM »

Thanks for the comments and encouragement! I hope the tute makes sense. I tried to make an illustrated one, but my camera sucks. Also, I can't draw.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-- As the unholy offspring of Genghis Khan and his bookish 4th mistress, I have the rather disconcerting habit of screaming KHAAAN!!!! intermittently while knitting and crafting.
mack remay
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2006 08:26:59 AM »

super fantastico.  Great idea
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i make stuff...you can look at some of it,or even buy it if ya like, at http://www.allsussedout.com
I jumped on the etsy bandwagonrumblebell's etsy shop
annrkey
AnnRKey

I heart karaoke

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2006 12:22:11 PM »

Super amazing!  I'm making one today!  This is just what I needed for my new job! Thanks so much.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

When evolution is outlawed, only outlaws will evolve...

Don't leave me standing here, I can't get used to this lifestyle.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Look of Marc Jacobs Fall 2013
How to Do a Cat Eye
The Look of Michael Kors Fall 2013
The Look of Anna Sui Fall 2013
Model Habits: Michael Kors Fall 2013
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...