A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 297,717
Currently Running With Scissors:
632 Guests and 33 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Modified Apron-Like Tops ***first post*** edited to add tutorial  (Read 16782 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

BionicPassenger

Madame Mustache, modern-day pirate extraordinaire.

View Profile WWW
« on: July 28, 2006 10:33:25 AM »

Last summer in France, I saw the girls wearing these utilitarian, modified apron-like dresses over their t-shirts and jeans. I really liked the look. After fooling around with some fabric I had lying around, I came up with these. Sorry for the crappy quality of pics - my camera is not the best. I got the pattern for the pocket on this board somewhere, but I can't remember who first posted it. (It's a round pocket that ties.) Thanks to that lovely woman or man! The straps snap into the aprons. I covered the snaps with decorative buttons.

The red one was the first I made. There were a lot of mistakes, but I'm pleased with how it turned out. I used leftover ribbon for the straps.

front view

detail

The green one is the second one I made. I made the straps from the same fabric as the apron itself.

front view

back view

detail of snap

Really crappy, mini-tutorial:

I used about 1 yard (a little less for the red, a little more for the green) of fabric.

Constructing the pattern:
   The body of this apron is composed of 2 pieces.
   The front is essentially a rectangle with a triangle at the bottom. The rectangle should be long enough to cover from your mid-chest (or where you want the top of the apron to lie) to your waist or hips. The triangle is not a separate piece. I simply drew a line from the rectangle's end on one side out until I had a satisfactory flare. I then folded the paper at the centre of the rectangle's top edge, and used the side I had cut out for the skirt flare as a guide to cut out the other side.
   The back is the skirt back. I used the triangle front of the apron as a guide to cut out the back piece, and cut the top edge of the back piece of the skirt low, riding my hips.

Construction:
1. I sewed the front piece of the skirt to the back piece of the skirt, lining up the sides. Unfortunately, when I tried it on, I couldn't really squeeze into it. In order to fit these bellydancer hips, I had to make those rather odd, squared-off cutouts at the waist to ensure a fit.

2. The straps - I sewed snaps to the ends of the straps and to the top edge of the apron. I folded the strap in such a way that the snap would not be visible, sewed it in place, and sewed a decorative button on the outside. This was probably an over-complicated method, but I had these really cute buttons I wanted to use. I then snapped the front to the straps, and had someone help me pin them at a cross in the back evenly. Then from the cross, I pulled the straps down to the back of the skirt, and marked the places where I wanted each strap to end (again, with an assistant's help). I then sewed the straps in the back to the places I had marked and at the cross.

I hope this makes sense!!!
« Last Edit: July 28, 2006 01:01:48 PM by BionicPassenger » THIS ROCKS   Logged

-- As the unholy offspring of Genghis Khan and his bookish 4th mistress, I have the rather disconcerting habit of screaming KHAAAN!!!! intermittently while knitting and crafting.
KungFuGirlfriend
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2006 10:37:35 AM »

Oh, I love those! I especially like the fabrics you used on the red one. I've been really wanting to make an apron type dress and I think you just inspired me to get to work.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pinkxpops
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2006 11:59:29 AM »

these are adorable! i love the crisscross in the back! great job
THIS ROCKS   Logged
emiwcch
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2006 12:07:11 PM »

that's really cute! i've never really seen something quite like that, and i like it! any chance of a tute? or a simple how-to? pretty please??
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Know your onion!
OKmetro

where the hell is my moustache?

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2006 12:10:25 PM »

Oo, those are adorable. It'd be super cute if someone made a longer one -and tada!- jumper!

ps, i agree with emiwcch, pretty pretty please?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
yellowblanket
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2006 07:19:21 PM »

*gasp* i love that! the fabrics go so well together Smiley i've been meaning to try my hand at aprons, too. thanks so much for the tut!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

my wists: http://www.wists.com/yellowblanket

will knit for: earrings, cloth pads, homemade soaps, and handspun yarn. PM me if you want to swap!
emiwcch
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2006 12:09:33 PM »

thank you soooooo much for the tute!! it's next on my to-do list!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Know your onion!
BionicPassenger

Madame Mustache, modern-day pirate extraordinaire.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2006 02:00:51 PM »

Thanks for the comments and encouragement! I hope the tute makes sense. I tried to make an illustrated one, but my camera sucks. Also, I can't draw.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-- As the unholy offspring of Genghis Khan and his bookish 4th mistress, I have the rather disconcerting habit of screaming KHAAAN!!!! intermittently while knitting and crafting.
mack remay
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2006 08:26:59 AM »

super fantastico.  Great idea
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i make stuff...you can look at some of it,or even buy it if ya like, at http://www.allsussedout.com
I jumped on the etsy bandwagonrumblebell's etsy shop
annrkey
AnnRKey

I heart karaoke

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2006 12:22:11 PM »

Super amazing!  I'm making one today!  This is just what I needed for my new job! Thanks so much.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

When evolution is outlawed, only outlaws will evolve...

Don't leave me standing here, I can't get used to this lifestyle.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Discover 5 Ways to Improve Your Memory
Precious Blood by Tonya Hurley
Turney Duff on Galleon, Goldman and Cocaine
Meet Katherine Parr in Queen’s Gambit
The Sacred River by Wendy Wallace
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...