A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News:  Vote now for your favorite craft challenge entry!  THREE amazing Ticketmaster prizes up for grabs this month.  Who will get one?
Total Members: 301,654
Currently Running With Scissors:
530 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: including store-bought stuff: yay or boo?  (Read 1443 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

mistresscandace

make crafts, not war

View Profile
« on: June 17, 2006 05:32:56 AM »

I have been reading in some of the recent threads a little bit on the discussion of store bought items in craft swaps.  The purpose of a craft swap is to... well... craft!  Pretty obvious, I think.  However, what is a good rule of thumb for store bought items?  I love to add little items in as filler.  For example, I craft what the rules state (one large item, 2 medium items, etc) and then throw a few extra things in.  Since I live in Japan, I get a lot of partners asking for Japanese stuff.

Anyway, what I'm wondering is:  how much store bought stuff is too much?  Should the main items ALWAYS be crafted?  Should everything in the package be crafted?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
craftykate
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2006 08:50:36 AM »

I think as long as you have followed the guidelines of the swap you add in some extra suprises. I think that's really sweet. I live near a crazy store, archie mcphee's that sells all sorts of silly little things. If I think my partner would appreciate it, I'll sometimes send those as a bonus. I think where the trouble starts is when the handmade items get replaced by store bought stuff. I think the main item should definitely be crafted unless it's stated otherwise in the swap rules, for example the my country doesn't have that or fabric stash swaps where you would be sending mainly store bought items.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://craftykate.etsy.com

Yep, it's a knit blog
http://craftykate-knits.blogspot.com/

wanna trade? I heart personal swaps.
Madmatigan79

Back by popular demand...

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2006 12:40:37 AM »

I agree with craftykate. It depends on the swap that you are in. I have sent store bought stuff along with my crafted items when it was appropriate to the swap theme (i.e. the Halloween Swap) but usually only a few little extras. The main part of the package I send out is crafted.

I think that the best thing you can do is stay in good communication with your partner. If you want to include some store bought extras, but are unsure of whether it would be appropriate or not, just pm your partner to see if they are okay with getting a few non-crafted goodies.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
correctionowife
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2006 06:35:41 AM »

I think at least most of it should be crafted. But receiving something from somewhere like Japan would excite me! I would say just ask whoever your swapping for.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mistresscandace

make crafts, not war

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2006 07:33:22 PM »

Thanks for the feedback.  Maybe my case is a bit special because the swaps I do are either personal ("buy me something from japan!!") or I get partners that want Japanese stuff (fabric, paper, etc).  I guess that as long as the partner is happy, things are good, right?  Wink  I just don't want to get neg feedback for sending bought goods.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cumber1137
Livin' to swap

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2006 07:55:04 AM »

for the sanrio swap i had a new hello kitty lipgloss that i had. it was store bought but i think it added a nice touch to my swap stuff.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Wist --> http://www.wists.com/cumber1137

"Huzza for the tipper with the squished up boobs" - Luke from Gilmore Girls.
batgirl
Global Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Part Librarian, Part Superhero

Stop Pinning, Start Making.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2006 08:05:00 AM »

I often add a few store bought goodies. If I'm swapping with someone overseas I nearly ALWAYS do. I try to send staple items I know a lot of people have trouble finding or that I know many people like (Kool aid, chocolate, Burt's Bees, sharpies, etc). For theme swaps if I see something little that fits the theme I'll send it (for example I included a pedometer with 4 crafted items in the workout swap). If it's something your partner will appreciate and you are foloowing the swap rules (not just buying INSTEAD of crafting) I think it's great. Considering you are in Japan it's extra-great, since Japan is kinda the holy grail of cool little stuff!  Wink You could send me all the store-bought Japanese stuff you wanted and I'd be just perfectly thrilled!  Cheesy
« Last Edit: July 17, 2006 08:24:08 AM by batgirl » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Just added lots of new items! Use coupon code "craftster" for 10% off! http://www.LilyLovesBernie.etsy.com
 50 Things
icebyrd67
hello beautiful world!

Where is the pony doctor?!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2006 08:35:44 AM »

I live near a crazy store, archie mcphee's that sells all sorts of silly little things.

first of all, i just wanted to say i''m jealous that you live near there!  i love that place (online anyway)

and i wanted to as in my opinion as long as the majority of your package is crafted, i dont see a problem with storebought.  i mean, if the store bought makes sense and doesnt overwhelm, then toss it in!  ^^  i really like when cultural things get tossed in.  however the problem with that one is that its harder to find "cultural" things for the US outside of the koolaid and sharpies. 

i avoid the chocolates tho because i'm in texas and things melt even sitting in the car for transportation.  always keep that in mind before mailing.  does your partner live somewhere hot.  if you're not sure and you want to send chocolates, toss it in a ziplock bag so it doesnt melt and leave your partner with a mess.

someone from a different forum sent me something and i ended up having to chuck the whole box (with a very very heavy heart) becuase there was chocolate in everything and it couldnt be salvaged.

that's just my two cents.

~jules
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Want to learn all about me? http://icebyrd67.livejournal.com/
http://www.wists.com/icebyrd67

looking for personal swaps - i need decorative table numbers for my wedding. want to have a place in my wedding? More details in my profile. PM me!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create a Digital Scrapbook on Your Computer
How to Make Bumper Stickers
How to Make a Time Capsule
How to Make Crafts with Autumn Leaves
How to Make CD Crafts
Latest Blog Articles
Get Lost in a Book
Meatless Monday: Banana-Pineberry Bread
@Home This Weekend: Souvenir Tea Towel Pillow

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...