A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 299,128
Currently Running With Scissors:
448 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Camp cooking  (Read 877 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

msinformation
« on: August 11, 2004 03:17:08 PM »

Hi all.  I've been reading everyone's great posts, but never posted myself!  Now I need some advice.

My husband and I are going on a brief camping trip soon and we are NOT experienced campers.  We desperately need some very basic advice about cooking while camping.  We'll be in a national park (car camping, no backpacking!) where we'll have a fire pit.  What sort of equipment do we need?  What sort of foods would be simple for an inexperienced camp chef to make?  What does everyone else like to eat while camping?  Do you have any recommendations for sites or books that address the basics (like we probably need help with everything from building a proper fire to cleaning up afterwards)?

Thank you in advance for your ideas!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
catherine625
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2004 03:53:34 PM »

If you have a fire pit you can cook just about anything, just like grilling with charcoal.  I would think about getting a camp stove though.  You may not want to build a fire just to heat up water for coffee and oatmeal!  We always take those dried pasta thingies, where you add water and butter, you just use oil instead of butter, and brings some veggies to throw it too.  I know those aren't very exciting ideas, but its tasty after a day of playing in the woods!  (and if you are backpacking or paddling, they aren't very heavy)  If you are car camping though, just bring a cooler with you and pack it full of all of your favorite foods to grill! 
If you have an REI near you, you should definetly go check it out!  The employees there are super helpful!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Adults are just obsolete children, and to hell with them."
                -Theodor Seuss Geisel (Dr. Seuss)
hillarybillary
your a pansy I'm a cowboy....

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2004 04:29:24 PM »

this is from my celiac board and while you may not be celiac it does address a first time camper and what to bring and its might be helpful. The people on there are wonderful and had TONS of suggestions for I think it was a dad and daughter doing their first camp out.
Good luck.
*h

http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/CGI/wa.exe?A2=ind0404E&L=celiac&P=R396&D=0&H=0&O=T&T=1
http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/CGI/wa.exe?A2=ind0404E&L=celiac&P=R292&D=0&H=0&O=T&T=1
http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/CGI/wa.exe?A2=ind0404E&L=celiac&P=R81&D=0&H=0&O=T&T=1
http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/CGI/wa.exe?A2=ind0404E&L=celiac&P=R2&D=0&H=0&O=T&T=1
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Mark Henshaw on His Debut Thriller, "Red Cell"
The Forsaken Book Trailer
When You Were Mine Book Trailer
Owen West on Being an American Adviser to the Iraqi Army
Douglas Florian Reads His Poem Worker Bees
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry
Handmade Gift Ideas: Bunny Travel Pillow
Tute Tuesday: Cross Stitched Sewing Box

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...