A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 300,942
Currently Running With Scissors:
531 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: the Incredible Hulk...in duct tape (no, really, it's just me) Img heavy  (Read 10606 times)
Tags for this thread: superhero  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

froggifunki
Knitter/Crocheter/Seamstress/Jeweler/Reconstructionist/Duct-taper/Doller/Sharpiist/Bead melter!

moo.

View Profile WWW
« on: July 27, 2006 09:35:15 PM »

I had been wanting to do a duct-tape dress form for ages, (oh boy, you're thinking, another one...see why i had to grab you with a catchy title?) but a fortuitious set of circumstances (including the end of my summer job, the sudden particularly urgent need for a dress form, my finding Craftster.com, and Bunchkin/frozenknitter's post about her dress form and her awsome tutorial) finally led me to do it. I printed out some internet stuff about it and showed it to my dad and he was immediately hooked on the project and had no problem being the "taper." (i get my crafty/constructive creativeness from him...) we picked one afternoon after i came home from the doctors office (nothing serious) and started out with a jumbo pack of duct tape.

join me on my photographic journey...you might learn something, i have a few tips that nobody told me...

Supplies: 1 old fish camp shirt, stained by grease and bad memories. A jumbo roll of duct tape,  1 torso. Not pictured: an old trombone stand, assorted packing materials + grocery bags.

I cut the sleeve off the shirt and stapled it to the neckline. I reccomend cutting both sleeves off, purely for symmetry's sake (it was bothering me the whole time)

Btw, don't wrap around too tightly on the first layer, or wrap around continuosly, because that distorts your curves and makes big wrinkles. i read that, but my dad wanted to try it anyway (what was that somebody said about a mummification fetish? lmto)

Superhero shot, inspired by Bunchkin.

I was thinking Ducticuus...but that sounds rather masculine...

After the second layer. I wish I'd bought different colors of duct tape so I'd have been able to see the different layers more clearly. I used two different "strengths" with slightly different textures, but I missed some around the shoulders anyway.

they all say do three layers, but by the time we got the second done and a few vertical strips, i was achy, teetering and a little faint. I couldn't sit down during the whole process, one arm was getting a little numb, and it was impossible to get a deep breath. Besides, holding good posture is extremely uncomfortable for me. (isn't that pathetic...) Two layers sufficed.

A word for your taper: "If I faint, please cut me out carefully so we can finish it later..."

And now, the pic that really cracks me up. I almost didn't post it because of the ugly bare back and bra strap, but I just couldn't keep it all to myself.

I had to drink some radioactive Neptunian juice so I could bust outta that thing. Tell you what, that stuff'll knock yer socks off! (not to mention lingering side effects... Wink)

the cast-off shell

Weird. Just plain wierd.

A note on stuffing: I just used what I could find around the house. There's some packing paper/newsprint, bubble wrap, foam packing sheets (like what might wrap fine china being shipped) packing peanuts, and a ton of grocery bags. (we've been saving them for years...finally they are useful for something!) Actually, grocery bags turned out to be ideal, at least for the detail work. They're a convenient size for slipping into hard-to-reach spots, and slick so they slide there easily.
Paper and bubble wrap are ok for the bulky areas, but annoyingly lumpy. But for goodness sake, don't just dump bags of packing peanuts in there. I did that and it was a huge mistake. I got peanuts all over the room because I was always turning the thing different angles. However, well-secured grocery bags full of packing peanuts turned out to be perfect to take care of bulk, especially in the waist/hip area. I think it would be hard to beat the combination of grocery bags and packing peanuts for stuffing, if you have enough on hand.

The finished product! I really lucked out on the stand, it was my dad's idea to use this old trombone stand that's been languishing in the corner since jr. high band, and he found a metal rod to slip inside of it that we stabbed up in the form. The form is sitting on a circular pad that originally held the trombone up by the mouth. It spins around easily, the legs adjust, the height adjusts, and I can slip the form off the stand for whatever reason.

The bottom of it looks narrow because I stuffed it too round. People are incredibly flat around the midsection, and I hadn't really noticed, so I didn't pay much attention while stuffing. But that explains some funny wrinkles in the lower back, and I knew i was hippier than that.  It would be a good idea to check yourself sideways in the mirror while stuffing, to make sure it  isn't thicker than you are. And again while you're taping the bottom. This is the best opportunity to flatten it out more, because you can make the strips going front to back really tight to squish it that way. I've been beating on it to try to flatten it, and I might re-duct the bottom tighter, but I'm not too concerned because it doesn't really affect the measurements. Maybe if I were creating a very fitted skirt it might hang funny, but I'm mainly using this for shirts.

After doing a search on Craftster, I realize my dress form decidedly lacks visual appeal.  I might do something to it to spiff it up. I know I'll probably cover it with fabric at some point, for pinning sake, but actually, thumbtacks/pushpins work quite nicely, if you can handle the voodooish creepiness of sticking pins in the likeness of your body.  >.> haha

Thak you for taking the time to look and read this! I hope it has been worth your while. Comments appreciated!(but please, no reference to my back, i know it's ugly...)

Yay!
Lydia
THIS ROCKS   Logged

yeppers.   
wist | myspace
roxybadoxy

Glcklich mich

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2006 09:39:18 PM »

amazing!! it turned out really awesome! i really want to make one but sadly no boobs and so it might not turn out the way i want it....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

please help some animals by clicking here!
OH! and there are other tabs so you can do more helpful things. YAY!!
bingety-bing
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2006 02:07:34 AM »

this would be awesome to do...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Love is blind to gender
white trash hero
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2006 01:18:23 PM »

i wanna do one cos wow yours looks awesome..butim not sure i wanna see a 3d version of my body really..it could be v depressing
THIS ROCKS   Logged
froggifunki
Knitter/Crocheter/Seamstress/Jeweler/Reconstructionist/Duct-taper/Doller/Sharpiist/Bead melter!

moo.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2006 07:17:45 PM »

Thx!
What's even weirder than seeing the shape of my body was picking it up today to vacuum under it...it was like picking a girl up by the waist...only it was me...

Roxybadoxy: wear your padded bra. lol. (I did) and don't wrap too tight.
White trash hero: it might just surprise you. But anyway, it's not about seeing how you look, (that's what mirrors are for) it's about getting your clothes to fit so you look awsome! Cool

I've been sewing and using it a little, and so far it's been hard to remember to try it on the form instead of on me. I know it will be handy, especially when I learn the proper technique of "draping," and will save me a lot of time and pinpricks, but I haven't done anything I really couldn't do without it, yet.

I should have marked the waistline and the line of my favorite jeans. And maybe my belly button.  Smiley I made a shirt too short cuz it's hard to tell on that expanse of silver.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

yeppers.   
wist | myspace
bethntim
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2006 07:34:55 PM »

Mark me down as LOVIN' IT!  I love all the dressforms on here and I learn something new with every one of them.  I really need to make one of these and I think the belly button marking is a great idea!  I'm afraid if I ever get my hubby to wrap me in duct tape he'll carry me out to the street and leave me!  He thinks my craftiness is just plain weird.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2006 11:12:50 AM by bethntim » THIS ROCKS   Logged

lilylola
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2006 10:52:42 AM »

Oh that's brilliant! I hate to think how much Duct tape it would take to cover me though.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did but backwards and in high heels

MY wist
MY ETSY
folksy shop
Radegund
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2006 05:21:25 PM »

Neat!  I'm not so sure I'd want a reminder of my shape hanging around.   Wink  *pokes tummy pudge*
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Spazzy
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2006 06:40:35 PM »

Everytime I see one of these I'm so jealous!  I begged my dad for a dressmakers form a couple years ago for Christmas and he got it and I'm thrilled... BUT... it's really not shaped like me.  It's adjustable, but just not right.  I might have to use the stand for a homemade one.. how terrible of me!  Cheesy 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://delainie.etsy.com -- Life is too short to be uncomfortable!

the sun is up, the sky is green, wishin my life could be just a dream --Greensky Bluegrass
Eliea
Tutorial Contributor

Proverbs 31:13 "She seeketh wool, and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands."

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2006 12:06:49 PM »

I love this project. Hi girl! You got me addictied to craftser. Smiley I am enlisting john to help me with this. And we're making one. Mom offered me hers since it's adjustable but duct tape is much cooler.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Try Out Bangs Without Making The Cut!
70s Disco Hair Trend from Fashion Week
How to Thicken Your Hair on Any Budget
How Much Damage Are You Doing To Your Hair?
Are Robots The Key To Battling Hair Loss?
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...