A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 298,747
Currently Running With Scissors:
486 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: fave vegetarian cookbook  (Read 2223 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

The Llama
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2006 07:25:15 PM »

Vegan with a Vengeance!! Seriously, it's the best cookbook ever. You can even get help with the recipes on the ppk forums and talk to Isa.

Hell yes. Buy this!

I love Leah Leneman's cookbooks, especially Vegan Cooking For One - it even gives me shopping lists. Great if you don't want to try and plan a week's worth of cooking before heading to the supermarket.

This is also another good one

Try "How it all vegan, too. It has tons of recipes, even a kiddie section!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
PimpernelSmith
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I'm sooo over due to get over an ocean...*waves at far away places*

Jack of all Crafts -- Master of None

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2006 08:34:12 AM »

Third 'bravo' for Deborah Madison's book!

Also: The Art of Indian Vegetarian Cooking by Yamuna Devi
Classical Turkish Cooking by Agar -- lots of meat,yes, but also LOTS of vegetarian and vegan, and very yummy!
The Vegetarian Grill by Chesman

I love cookbooks  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.Dave Barry
peanutbutterkp37
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2006 04:36:49 PM »

I just bought Vive le Vegan. There are lots of good recipes, especially the sweets (which is all I've tried so far...except for the brown rice pizza)! Everything is really healthy, but soo good and most everything is or can be wheat free.

I also have Vegan Planet. It's a huge book with over 400 recipes. I've made lots from it and everything sounds so yummy, but most recipes need extra spices or flavor. Example: I use the 3-bean chili recipe all the time and I add 6-7+ more spices than it calls for.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Flickr
Vegan Cookie Blog
I'm writing a vegan cookie blog.
malinka
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2006 03:33:40 PM »

Thanks for all the suggestions!
I ordered (from Amazon) Vegan with a Vengeance. Even though I'm not vegan, and my boyfriends not veg at all, we both reckon these recipes sound great. As soon as I saw coriander and horseradish crusted tofu on the website I was sold. Cafe Flora sounds great, it's on my list for next time. Basically I got VwaV instead cos it was just a bit cheaper.
And I got Olive Trees and Honey: A Treasury of Vegetarian Recipes from Jewish Communities Around the World, which looks like it'll be a great read as well as a good recipe book.
Rebar seems to be out of print, and Alison Holst I'll look out for in a book shop here (Australia).
PimpernelSmith, I have Yamuna's Kitchen by Yamuna Devi; some of the recipes are a bit crazy with the low fat thing, but they are yummy.
Now I just have to patient for a month til they get here...
Anyway, thanks again for all your help!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lava means love.
I'm listening!

It could be worse.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2006 06:26:44 AM »

If you're in the US, have you tried looking at vegetarian books at your local library?  Whenever I need inspiration cooking-wise, I borrow a vegetarian recipe book.  That way, its like having, per-say, 100 books for reference, at no cost.  I write down the recipes I really like, and have created a substantial and reliable collection.  And when I find a really good book, I purchase it.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2006 08:47:36 AM by Lava means love. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

malinka
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2006 01:47:47 AM »

hey lava means love

yeah, i often get library books and use those, but i like owning them too...i takes me a couple of months to get to know a book and figure out what i'll make, plus i'm a really messy cook so they always end up covered in soy sauce!

i like to borrow books i'll only cook a few things from -- like meaty cookbooks with a few good recipes, or baking ones. but i like having ace, 'old friend' type cookbooks around me always -- sundays at moosewood and feasts from the place below are in this caetgory for me...and hopefully now vegan with a veneganvce amd olive trees and honey! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
knitty mcknitknit

I love scotch, scotchy scotch scotch, down it goes

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2006 06:01:53 AM »

If it's not too late, I'll cast my vote for Moosewood's Low Fat Recipes cookbook. Consistently good, and we use it all the time (esp. for black bean chili, chilaquiles, and various soups).
THIS ROCKS   Logged
r_matey
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2006 11:26:09 AM »

Oh oh!  Real Vegetarian Thai by Nanci McDermott.  *So Tasty.*  Since becoming vegetarian it's been my woe to discover all of my favorite Thai dishes are now off-limits in restaurants (they're all made with fish or shrimp paste) -- so now I make my own at home.  Also?  The pineapple fried rice is oh so very very good.  Everything I've made from this book so far has been great.  And she balances it all with some discussion of her experience in Thailand, and why and how she transformed traditional Thai cuisine to be veg.

Also wonderful: The Passionate Vegetarian by Crescent Dragonwagon.  And not just because of her name!  This book is HUGE.  I think of it a little like Deborah Madison's (which is also excellent) -- it's nearly encyclopedic, but whereas Madison's book shines in describing single ingredients and simpler preparations that highlight them (not to downplay her more balanced recipes, but what I really use Madison for is when I'm like So I bought an artichoke -- now how the heck do I eat it?!), Dragonwagon's book has a more traditional cookbook feel.  There's just *a whole lot* of it.  And everything I've tried so far is delicious.  (Including Dr. Feelgood's Chocolate Cake, which is amazingly moist.)  She also has a really fun writing-voice that's showcased spectacularly here without intruding on the recipes.

Neither of these books has photographs, which I mention because I'm the sort of person who normally has a hard time with cookbooks without a lot of nice glossy pictures of the finished products -- I have a hard time getting motivated to cook something I can't visualize.  But both of these are favorites of mine, and get lots of use!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
onecraftybitch
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2006 11:26:56 AM »

The Grit cookbook- from The Grit in Athens , GA. It is a rockin' vegetarian  and vegan restaurant with stellar food.  The book may not be a starter vegeatarian cookbook, but has plently of great recipies.

Love the restaurant. Love that I can make the restaruant food at home!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Faux Bob and Structured Jacket = Instant Makeover
Beauty Hack: 3 New Ways to Use Moisturizer
How to Style a Bun
DIY Dry Skin Treatments
3 Great Products for Being Glamorous on a Budget
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie
Amazing Altered Puzzles
Meatless Monday: Cottage Cheese Mousse

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...