A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 300,961
Currently Running With Scissors:
413 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Accepting Credit Cards at Craft Fairs  (Read 23074 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

inhope
« Reply #30 on: June 01, 2006 08:06:03 PM »

I just signed up for paypal's terminal so I can take credit cards this weekend at artstar (crossfingers) it works out ok...did anyone else find the website a bit ambiguous?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Karchita
« Reply #31 on: June 02, 2006 11:53:49 PM »

I signed up with ProPay.  I did it the Monday before a weekend fair and expressed mailed the check asked them to please hurry and they emailed my confirmation in 24 after I mailed the check.  I was impressed with that.  I chose the upgraded service for 60 bucks a year and 35 cents and 3% each transaction. 

Then I couldn't get an imprinter in time, so I went to Office Depot and bought a sales book with two part receipts - one for the customer and one for me.  I just got all the info - CC number, name, signature, zip code, and the 3 digit number from the back of the card for each sale.  I keep the original and the customer gets the copy.  I didn't have time to call the sales in, so I just stacked them up and entered them online when I got home.  It's a little risky, but other crafters have told me that's what they do and have never had a problem.  I figure it's less of a risk than taking a check.  Anyhow, they all cleared and now I am wondering if I really need an imprinter.  They are bulky and I feel my system is proof enough to dispute charge backs.  I would like to get a rubber stamp to mark each receipt with my business name and email so they know what to look for on their CC statements. 

I think I definitely made a few sales by taking CCs and my customers seemed to expect it. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
maise
« Reply #32 on: June 03, 2006 09:09:18 PM »

We ended up with ProPay too so that we could use the phone option if we didn't have wireless internet. It really came in handy at Bazaar Bizarre SF and a dog walk I did last month. Without the credit card sales, we would have lost about $250 worth of sales. It is well worth the fees for the options. We figured that Propay turns out a little cheaper with how many shows we do. We're trying to do at least once a month since there are tons of dog walks in the SoCal area. We haven't ordered an imprinter yet because it is bulky like Karchita said. We bought some carbon copy receipt books at WalMart and bought a custom stamp from Office Max with our logo and information. They made it while we waited and it was only $20. I sat and stamped it on every top page the night before to save time at the show. We had business cards made and my sister stapled one to each receipt. It worked out pretty well. Walmart is a good deal for receipt books if you don't care about carbon. I think Office Max, Staples and Office Depot has the same but carbonless for $9 for 3 books, Walmart is with carbon for $1/each.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

babygoinplaces

Baby, I'm goin' places!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: June 04, 2006 04:52:35 AM »

If you didn't have time or money to get a custom stamp made, you could also print your own sticky labels and use those on the tops of the receipts that customers receive.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://babygoinplaces.com
Baby Goin' Places--for the baby on the go!  Slings, pocketchangers, custom clothing, and now custom monogramming and embroidery!
http://babygoinplaces.etsy.com
maise
« Reply #34 on: June 04, 2006 11:20:21 AM »

If you didn't have time or money to get a custom stamp made, you could also print your own sticky labels and use those on the tops of the receipts that customers receive.

We thought about doing that too. If you're just doing a few small shows here and there, its cost effective. The stickers run about $9 for 250. The ink, and stickers add up if you plan on having a lot of sales. I think the stamp is good for 10,000 impressions. We also used the stamp on our wooden displays so they didn't get mistaken for anyone else's while cleaning up.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

babygoinplaces

Baby, I'm goin' places!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: June 04, 2006 04:42:24 PM »

Oh, and don't forget to check out vistaprint for a very cheap stamp.  It's not high quality, but it will get the job done and they often run specials where you get it free if you pay shipping, usually around $5-6.00
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Baby Goin' Places--for the baby on the go!  Slings, pocketchangers, custom clothing, and now custom monogramming and embroidery!
jojo9

meet my charming friend, the monkey gentleman

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: June 29, 2006 05:06:46 AM »

Paypal have just started a thing where you can pay using your mobile phone.  I'm in the UK, am not sure if is in other locations too.  Of course this is probably more use to potential buyers than sellers since your customer wou;d have to be already signed up for the service. But it is still handy to know about!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftpunk
« Reply #37 on: July 29, 2006 02:40:49 PM »

I show at an outdoor market every weekend all year long, and I need a new credit card processor, I am unhappy with my current one.  I have been using ProPay, and I don't like their system, they have a limit on how much you can process every month, and offer very poor support. 

I'd like to hear what other people use in direct sales, not over the web, but face to face with customers.  Does your company require a swipey machine?  Do they rent or sell them, or can you buy a 3rd party machine?  How are the fees?  Do you like the customer service?  Do they have an option to enter the information online?  What about wireless machines? 

I have been looking into Costco's program, has anyone here used it?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.rebound-designs.com 
Handcrafted Bling
babygoinplaces

Baby, I'm goin' places!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: August 02, 2006 06:18:56 PM »

I don't know if this particular guy, Lou, is limited to the PA area, but we had a great convo last week and HE even determined that he couldn't help me any better than I could do right now with PayPal and walked away scratching his head. 

He called back yesterday and had much better rates for me because he spoke with a manager or someone.  I'm trying to find a way to process cards at home, over the phone, or with my cell phone at a craft show.

Worth checking into.  The company is TermNet based out of Atlanta.
lpalazzo@termnetinc.com

Tell him Baby Goin' Places sent ya.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

brubendall
« Reply #39 on: August 28, 2006 11:54:47 AM »

You can sign up for Paypal's virtual terminal, to accept credit cards from users without paypal accounts. As long as you have a laptop and wireless internet, you can take cc info and process it right away. Normal cc fees through paypal are deducted & there is a $10 charge per month to have the virtual terminal. I work for a company that runs conventions and we used the virtual terminal to take cc last year and it worked out great. You can get more info here.

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_vt_hub-outside

Has anybody else used this?  I am interested, as I am doing my first fair at the end of September.  I already have an active Business Account with Paypal.  What I'm curious about is can you decide which months you want to use this and then not use it for several months (and not paying the monthly $20 fee) and then use it again?  I read through all the Terms & Conditions (whew!) and it didn't address this, just said you could cancel at any time but would not get any portion of that monthly fee refunded. 

For instance, I'm doing 1 fair in September (the 30th) and 2 in October.  Can I sign up for just those 2 months?  Actually, if I'm willing to wait one day and process the payments the following day on October 1st, I could get away with just one monthly fee.

Anybody have any info on this situation?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.lizabethdesign.etsy.com/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lizabethdesign/

Until you find something worth dying for, you're not really living.
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Best Swimsuits for Your Body Type
Why Is This Star Wearing Head-to-Toe Purple?
Learn the Trick to Getting Clump-Free Mascara
How To Wear It: Breezy Jumpsuits
Dress Your Little Man Like Kingston Rossdale for Less
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...