A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 297,493
Currently Running With Scissors:
368 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Accepting Credit Cards at Craft Fairs  (Read 22109 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Redjln
Usually has paint on her hands

Go Down in Flames, only to rise from the ashes...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: January 04, 2007 08:35:59 AM »

I just started the process to upgrade my paypal account to accept credit cards, and so I can get the virtual terminal.  I figured that having all that stuff in one place would be easier than having it scattered among several places to keep tracking easier.

I figure I will write the information paypal needs on the invoice and have the person sign that as proof that they authorized the purchase, and they would get the copy and I would keep the orginal. 

Just hope I don't run into anyone with fake card that has no funds on it! Has anyone encountered this?

Later,
Jen
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my etsy shop: http://JDx2.etsy.com

In everyone's life, at some time, our inner fire goes out. It is then burst into flame by an encounter with another human being. We should all be thankful for those people who rekindle the inner spirit. - Albert Schweitzer
Rivkasmom
« Reply #71 on: January 10, 2007 02:31:55 AM »

The convention center where we have the biggest craft fairs is made of solid concrete.  There's no wifi or cell phone reception ANYWHERE in the building!  You're practically back in the stone ages.  I'm wondering how I would be able to do credit cards then.  About half of my items are between $75 and $150, so it would really make sense for me to have some sort of CC processing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rachelyra
Medium Reality

making stuff, taking names.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: January 10, 2007 12:27:44 PM »

you can just write it all down and do it later with paypal's virtual terminal.  slightly higher risk but totally possible.  copy down all kinds of information from them and you can hound them if it doesn't go through.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

VaguelyVogue
Lauri Loves You!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: March 07, 2007 10:48:27 AM »

Has anyone used touchpay. Ive been seeing it advertised on crafter on the side bar. They seem to have better rates than pro pay.  You dont have to pay a higher monthly feee if you want to process cards over the phone
« Last Edit: March 07, 2007 10:59:03 AM by VaguelyVogue » THIS ROCKS   Logged
eel
« Reply #74 on: June 05, 2007 09:38:50 AM »

OK I have been looking into taking credit cards, thanks to all of you! I don't do craft fairs but I sell vintage clothing at a flea market once a month. I don't have a laptop so I'm looking for phone verification

Touch-pay charges a monthly fee of 8.99 + a set up fee of either $19 or $29 depending on the account you chose, the latter has a higher % charge but no per transaction fee. I am guessing this is good if you have a lot of small amount charges.

ProPay charges $60 a year, has a % fee and a small transaction amount. they do have minimums but I doubt I'll ever sell more than $3,000 in one day

sheesh you gotta be a math wiz to really figure out what service is best in the long run. I'm not math person but just on the monthly charge alone I'd save $50 by going with Propay.

FYI- I was thinking of charging customers a $5 transaction fee for credit cards to cover my costs but...you aren't allowed to do that, YIPES!
"4. Can I charge the transaction fees to my customer?
No. It is against credit card association regulations to charge your customers the fees you pay to accept their credit cards. Visa and MasterCard don't want merchants passing on those fees because it discourages and punishes card holders for using their cards. Merchants accept this rule because people paying with credit cards generally spend more than they would otherwise."
THIS ROCKS   Logged
msmeow
« Reply #75 on: June 27, 2007 11:50:59 AM »

I don't think I saw this mentioned about PayPal Virtual Terminal.  You can turn it off and on.  So when I needed it for shows starting in May I turned it on and I'm charged $20 a month for each month it's on.  I don't have another show until August so I'm going to turn it off for July and most of the fall.
I don't take people's address because you don't need it to fill in the VT form.  I just get their phone number in case their an issue.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rachelyra
Medium Reality

making stuff, taking names.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: August 17, 2007 10:41:33 AM »

Hey guys,
i just wanted to note that something i've heard people say a lot "I don't think i lost any sales from not taking CCs" isn't always exactly accurate.  A lot of times people will assume you don't take them, unless you have a sign or something otherwise.  They'll usually ask only if they really want a particular thing and don;t have enough cash.  One thing I've seen people do is get those visa-mc-discover stickers and put them on the edges of their mirror, people are sure to notice them there.  I have a little sign saying i take them and still get asked if i do all the time.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lafemmedramatique
Lafemmedramatique

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: July 28, 2008 02:23:11 PM »

I'm applying to Indieana Handicraft Exchange, and I'm trying to find out if there is a way I can accept credit cards w/o a machine. I've heard that there are ways to do it via phone, but I don't know how.

It may not be a big deal b/c I might not get accepted, but even if I don't I figured it would be a good thing to find out before I start doing craft fairs.

If you have any information on how to do this, or information on how you do it, then please let me know!

Thanks in advance for the information!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Circlesofstone
« Reply #78 on: July 30, 2008 05:00:35 AM »

Check out Propay.com, I think that is what most craftsters are refering to when they do craft shows and take credit cards over the phone. I believe there is a yearly fee, but no monthly minimums or charges. They do have fees per transaction.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

twohandscrafts
Two Hands Crafts by Lori

Two Hands Crafts by Lori

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: October 02, 2008 11:27:10 AM »

This is a great idea! I have also seen where people just print all the credit card logos that they accept on an 8 X 10 piece of paper and get just a simple dollar frame and sit it on their tables right out front where people can see them..

Hey guys,
i just wanted to note that something i've heard people say a lot "I don't think i lost any sales from not taking CCs" isn't always exactly accurate.  A lot of times people will assume you don't take them, unless you have a sign or something otherwise.  They'll usually ask only if they really want a particular thing and don;t have enough cash.  One thing I've seen people do is get those visa-mc-discover stickers and put them on the edges of their mirror, people are sure to notice them there.  I have a little sign saying i take them and still get asked if i do all the time.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Crispy Sweet & Sour Battered Chicken Recipe
How to Make Thai Fishcakes
Hoisin Chicken Wraps Recipe
Asian-Steamed Salmon Recipe
Asian-Style Poached Chicken Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!
Winner of Craft Challenge #102 - Swap & Share 3

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...