A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 299,186
Currently Running With Scissors:
608 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Continental or Throw. Which style do u use?  (Read 1579 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

bftscgirl
« on: August 11, 2004 12:10:10 PM »

I am a fairly new knitter and was wondering how everyone else stood on the issue Continental -vs- Throw method. I learned to knit in the Throw method and just recently taught myself to knit Continental style. I can understand how in theory Continental would be faster, but my tension is more off than usual and I am confused about purling. Is the motion exactly the same as the knit stitch and just the placement of the needle is different? So where do you fall on this issue? What tips can you give me and others to improve the technique for Continental or Throw method? Please recommend books that helped u learn your favorite method?

Thanks for your imput.
I did check to see if this topic has all ready been discussed. If I over looked the other thread I apologize and will have it moved or removed, just give me the word. 

Thanks again Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Love of beauty is Taste. The creation of beauty is Art.                                     

- Ralph Waldo Emerson
melidomi
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

knit like the wind!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2004 08:21:28 AM »

I use the English or 'throw' method.  there are tons of kntting books out there that have pictorials about both methods.  The Vogue Knitting book is generally pretty good.  I think even Stitch n Bitch has pictures illustrating both methods. 
And here's a quick online thingy for continental purling.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
skwirel

the best thing is to love and be loved in return

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2004 08:23:04 AM »

continental method is the one where the yarn is fed through the left hand right? i love this one. your hands don't let go of the needles like the english method. yes the yarn is wrapped around the same in the knit and purl stitch. to me, it does go faster.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

yes i'm serious. but don't call me shirley.

http://pearlknitpurl.blogspot.com/
ravelry user name: skwirel
cheekymamaof2
It doesn't feel like exercise when you're wearing chiffon.

Forget Stitch n Bitch. Nurse n Knit!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2004 10:17:11 AM »

I learned both ways and for myself, left handed carry is much easier. *Continental that is* I still dont care for purling, but Its getting easier and easier...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BOYCOTT SEW FAST SEW EASY!
visit www.freetostitchfreetobitch.org
my blogs can be found at livejournal (cheekymama) and blogspot (cheekymamaof2)
tigerEyes
Super Flirt! *wink*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2004 12:04:23 PM »

English (throw) method for me.. continental I could never get.  But if you have the spring Interweave Knits mag, they show other methods as well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I get sh*t done!
meexie
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2004 10:59:16 PM »

Continental.  I learned "throw" style and struggled with it for years!  Someone watching me suggested I try carrying the yarn in my left hand and it was like the clouds parted and angels sang.  I suspect it may have something to do with my having learned to crochet first.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ellyloo
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2004 04:29:29 AM »

Continental!
I'm a crocheter originally, so it just made much more sense to me.
I feel out of control when I have to stop and wrap the yarn around with my right hand.

I'm really starting to get the hang of it now.
Good slick knitting needles help.  (I bought some bamboo ones, and all of a sudden I could knit!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mew
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2004 10:47:12 AM »

Continental. I learned to knit that way, and it seems a lot more "efficient" than throwing, in terms of hand movement.
That, and for long stretches of stockinette, I'll knit Combined, so that involves even less movement on my part.

(Combined involves holding the yarn continental style, but when purling, you wrap the yarn around the needle the other way which twists the stitch. When knitting the next row, you knit through the back loops, untwisting the stitches again)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dreamin2
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2004 12:43:24 PM »

I just taught myself the continental way this summer and love it. I used this website mainly for reference http://www.wonderful-things.com/newknit2.htm  (botton of page, also have a page on purling). I found my tension off and my purling as well.

I found holding it the way you hold the yarn for crochet was the best (or the way i was taught to hold the yarn): looking at your palm, the  yarn goes behind the pinky, overtop the next 2 fingers and then wrap behind and over twice your index finger with the yarn then travelling to the needle. And have your yarn on your left side. I just knit a whole bunch of rows and after the initial awkwardness disappeared it was great.

For purling (I had a terrible time trying to figure out how to do this one, it was so awkward). bring the yarn forward, and then I stick my thumb so it pushes against that yarn (the yarn will be running across your thumb nail), it'll make a V with the yarn. That way it's out of the way of the Right needle. Then insert to purl like the diagrams show, and I use my thumb to yarn over, just basically moving your thumb away from you back towards the rest of your hand.

Good luck. I really enjoy knitting this way. it feels way more natural to me. it was just hard to overwrite years of doing it the other way.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ellyloo
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2004 05:44:47 PM »

Hm.
Unless I"m purling wrong, I don't find it tough to purl while holding it the way I crochet, and I dont' have to rearrange my hands.  I've done successful stockinette stitching, so I guess I've been doing it right.

I just put the yarn in front, stick the needle in the stitch from the top, towards me , (slight manipulation of the yarn is sometimes done with my thumb, but not much at all to position it under the tip of the needle) snag the yarn, twist it down and around so the needle points away from you again, pull it through, and lift it off. 

Knitting is putting it through the stitch from the bottom, away from me,  snagging the yarn and dragging it down through the stitch towards me, and lifting it off.

whew!
I need to take a rest now.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Work With Playback Option in Adobe Photoshop CS3
How to Load and Play the Actions in Adobe Photoshop CS3
How to Work With Recording Actions in Adobe Photoshop CS3
How to Work With the Actions Panel in Adobe Photoshop CS3
How to Increase the Productivity in Adobe Photoshop CS3
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hippogriff
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...