A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 302,549
Currently Running With Scissors:
744 Guests and 38 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: X-mas gifts for snooty family members Helppppp...  (Read 7301 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Ezri_B
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2006 12:32:02 PM »

You know, my sister is like this. I just don't make her anything. I buy whatever I give her. You'll likely save yourself a lot of time and stress, plus you won't be crushed if she turns her nose up at the store bought item like if she did the same to something that took a lot of time. If are set on making her something, I recommend that it be nice, but not time-consuming. Again, for your end of things. I only spend my time crafting gifts for people that will appreciate them.

I absolutely agree. If you can think of something to buy her, I'd go that route, if not.... well don't make something that you're too invested in. For example don't poor your heart and soul into something hoping that you'll win her over, you're most likely to be crushed. Give her something nice that didn't take a huge heart investment.

Also think if there is something you can do that she could use, would like, or hates to do .
Babysit, bake, clean, mend clothing, grocery shop, take children to practices, etc...
My husband for instance hates taking our kids to dance class, so if someone were to give that as a gift (one day a month even) to take them there, he would literally do a happy dance.
My husband's aunt hates to bake, but always has tons of guests over. So I bake her cookies/bars one week a month,  and she has nice desserts to offer her guests, but doesn't have to do the baking. Just a thought.
Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

IamSusie
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2006 12:53:15 PM »

My SIL doesn't understand crafts either.  She pretends, but I know the truth behind her facade.  This doesn't really bother me.  Her family gets gift cards from us, but I'm at the point where I really think it's time to get together for a big family holiday meal and forget the gifts altogether.  Gift cards are really not fun to open and I also don't think any of our kids needs any more stuff.

You can always ask your sister-in-law first.  You can say, "I'm planning ahead for the holidays and want to find something to make for you, is there anything you've been wanting?"  You'll probably know from her reaction whether she thinks you are a cheap slacker or has simply been waiting for the opportunity to be asked. 

I'm all for giving baked goods too.  Remember that what you choose to give is given with good intentions and if she chooses not to like it, that really isn't your problem. 

THIS ROCKS   Logged

squirlyboo
Organic Mama GO Natural GO Organic

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2006 01:20:00 PM »

thanks you guys for all the ideas. i think i am going to send out an email requesting christmas wish list s from everyone ,that way she wont think i am singleing her out. then maaaybe i can either buy something or whip something up. ya'll have been great i like the ideas from those with snooties in their families too.lol Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

But I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell  I know right now you cant tell
But stay awhile and maybe then you'll see
A different side of me
I'm not crazy, I'm just a little impaired
I know right now you dint care
But soon enough you're gonna think of me
And how I used to be...me
retro-redux

spending way too much time on craftster since 2006

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2006 06:44:07 AM »

I did want to second the posts about not wasting your valuable crafting time and skills on someone who won't appreciate them. Better to make a craft for charity and give your SIL a gift card and tell her you donated the craft item in her name Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

come be my craftster friend on my blog: http://www.myspace.com/retroredux

I succumbed to the Wist Darkside-here ya go:
http://www.wists.com/retro-redux

Break the chain: Spay or Neuter your pets
cheesedip

Llama? Hmmmm...

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2006 04:17:10 PM »

find some snooty-looking wool and knit or crochet a scarf or shawl - y'know the kinds of wool i mean, they make everything look impractical and boutique-ey. or maybe some sort of hot-chocolate or coffee kit? with a nice mug, some yummy coffees and hot chocolate, chocolate-dipped spoons, marhsmallows, that kinda junk. hate to say it, but with these kind of people you basically have to make something that you could get in a shop, but only more awesome.

but if she's that bad, buy her a bag of coal with a note from craftster tied to it Tongue i can't stand ungrateful people. my favourite birthday gifts this year were a bunch of flowers and a song a friend wrote for me and sang. but really. she probably wishes she was as crafty and cool as you, because she sounds pretty damn blank. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"It is much more comfortable to be mad and know it, than to be sane and have one's doubts."
- G. B. Burgin
TheBon

We are without leeches or wenches.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2006 05:45:57 PM »

I feel a need to voice something that I have noted several times on craftster [and would like to state my disclaimer that I'm not picking on cheesedip, just using the post as a jumping off place for my thoughts]...I don't think there's any reason to get mad at/resent folks who don't care for handmade gifts. I don't resent my sister for not appreciating the time that I put into my crafts. And as much as I do feel that it is the thought that counts, if you know that the receiver of your gift will not like a handmade gift, then you're not putting thought into it. There are plenty of inexpensive, well-made items that those "snooty" folk will love. Here's how I look at things: would they really like that hot-chocolate or coffee kit that cheesedip recommends? If not, pass on it. Is there some sweater that you know you could duplicate for them from their favorite boutique? If so, maybe it's worth the time investment [unless they care less about the sweater and more about the label of course]. I think a large part of "it's the thought that counts" is the thought before you purchase/make the gift. My mom loves when I craft things for her but I rarely do because I'm never sure what she'll get the best use out of. So I asked her, and we're going to talk about it next time I'm home. Maybe that's the best route with your snooty folks, to suss out what they would like to receive from you that's handcrafted. If their answer is "nothing" then you just have to work around it. It takes all kinds to make the world go 'round. Again, I'm not picking on anyone, just trying to get my point across.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

graphic designer, illustrator, all around nerd.

my wists!
I take pictures everywhere!
squirlyboo
Organic Mama GO Natural GO Organic

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2006 12:13:15 AM »

Cry i think my situation although probably not unique is differant. i sadly don't care for my SIL she is not very nice Lips sealed  , thinks she is better then everyone else and thinks that we are beneath her. i do however still like my BIL so by singling her out and just getting something with no thought i would hurt his feelings. i personally would rather never ,ever, ever, see let alone ever talk to my SIL again , but alas we cant choose our family. and i just cant afford to get her anything she likes because i am not a ,milionare , put it this ie( she gave us her handmade solid wood kitchen table that her dad made her to make room for a table her boss(milionair) was going to give her if she had room. a $5000.00 table that had velvet chairs , she has a freaking baby ! who has velvet furniture with a baby? then she yells at anyone who even looks like they might crush the precious velvet chairs as they sit down ughhhh. ) not exaggerating. so when it comes to stuff for her i am lost , i guess i will have to resort to a gift card ,although i am sure i will hear how i didn't give enough on the card . Angry ughhhh see what i am up against. Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: August 01, 2006 12:16:26 AM by squirlyboo » THIS ROCKS   Logged

But I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell  I know right now you cant tell
But stay awhile and maybe then you'll see
A different side of me
I'm not crazy, I'm just a little impaired
I know right now you dint care
But soon enough you're gonna think of me
And how I used to be...me
cheesedip

Llama? Hmmmm...

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2006 03:11:36 PM »

TheBon, sorry if that post annoyed you  Smiley i was in a crappy mood when i wrote that and felt rather righteous. everyone's different, i understand that. again, no picking Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"It is much more comfortable to be mad and know it, than to be sane and have one's doubts."
- G. B. Burgin
kewlchik
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2006 07:07:20 AM »

Somewhere on here someone had a wonderful gift idea of taking a bottle of Skye Blue vodka and putting vanilla beans in it to make a gift of homemade vanilla. Very gourmet, beautiful bottle,I can't think of anyone who wouldn't love this, and I have snobby friends, too.No matter how snobby they are, there is usually something that will be meaningful to them.Sometimes it is just a box of candy that they had as a child.Or a photo of them of a special time in their life blown up and put into a silver frame.If you ask around, I am sure you will come up with something, and keep watching these boards, there are so many wonderful people on here with great ideas. Best of luck to you.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sophieangele
Two-headed girl

lacing fingers through the notches of your spine

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2006 08:24:41 AM »

I really do feel that there is no point wasting your precious energy and ingenuity on fussy relatives who don't like your handicrafts. There is no point martyring yourself, resenting the hell out of them, and then feeling wounded when they reject your offering - I have family members just like that (notably my grandmother!!) and I've just given up. Now I get them something store-bought that they will like, saving myself a lot of angst and time, and making it more likely that they will actually enjoy their gifts. It's nice to be able to give something handmade, but we can't expect everyone to value the love and care we put into our handmade gifts, and it only brings us more frustration and hurt if we persist.

They don't know what they are missing Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Draw a Portrait
How to Play Monopoly
How to Milk a Cow
Monopoly Theory Guide
Learn about Monopoly Game Variations
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...