A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 296,689
Currently Running With Scissors:
737 Guests and 32 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: ideas for elongating sleeves for taller folk???  (Read 391 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

oshun99
« on: July 25, 2006 04:14:43 PM »

so i'm always finding really nice/cute jackets, but alas, they are too short for my monkey length arms.
not big on fur, so i'm looking for other thing to add so the arms are long enough for me.

but the main thing i'm looking for is ways to elongate sleeves on regular shirts. any ideas??
THIS ROCKS   Logged
froggifunki
Knitter/Crocheter/Seamstress/Jeweler/Reconstructionist/Duct-taper/Doller/Sharpiist/Bead melter!

moo.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2006 06:23:13 PM »

I feel your pain. But since I'm about as clueless as you, I usually just suck it up and live with bare wrists. Hey, there is an official design term for that sleeve length..."bracelet length." Now if it would just come back in style... Wink

What I have done before, though, on a winter coat, was let out the hem and re-sew it narrower. Of course that only works when it has a pretty wide hem to begin with. Sorry I can't come up with any more creative ideas.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

yeppers.   
wist | myspace
Sewlittletime

Pink frosting is wunnerful, dahlink!!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2006 07:38:51 PM »

I had to think about this one and come back.

1) Take off the existing cuff (if there is one) and make donut-shaped cuffs to sew on the end of your sleeves. (Kind of like mini circle skirts! Errr...I can't for the life of me think of what the actual name for those kind of cuffs is!) It'll look very elegent and flowy.

2) insert a pretty fabric like lace or interesting fabric by cutting your sleeve in half at the point of your choice, and rejoining the halves after inserting the contrast fabric.

That's all I've got now.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hawkeyes_girl

I'm not even supposed to be here today!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2006 03:20:09 PM »

I do one of 2 things:

I'm a BIG fan of pushing up my sleeves (they usually get there even when I don't know I did it!). You'll NEVER be able to tell they're too short when pushed up.

Separate the sleeve at the armhole. Find a complimentary/coordinating fabric and make a cute puff sleeve that will extend the length of the sleeve. Sew the puff to the armhole, then sew the regular sleeve to the bottom of the puff.

Usually tall types can pull this style off well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"One of the reasons I was attracted to you was because you were so damn cute, sitting there crocheting." -Art

Wist: http://www.wists.com/hawkeyes_girl
froggifunki
Knitter/Crocheter/Seamstress/Jeweler/Reconstructionist/Duct-taper/Doller/Sharpiist/Bead melter!

moo.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2006 07:26:58 PM »

ooh I like the puff sleeve idea! I want to do that to a shirt, even if the sleeves aren't too short.  Grin
yeah i def. push my sleeves up all the time.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

yeppers.   
wist | myspace
oshun99
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2006 06:26:00 PM »

thanx for the great ideas, guys!!
i was just gonna tack somethingonto the end of the sleeve, but i really like the contrasting fabric at the armpit/cuff area ideas.
thanx again!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Sophisticated Hippie
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2006 11:52:14 PM »

There were some great suggestions for shirt sleeves.  I have the same problem so I rarely purchase ready made long sleeve shirts.  As for jackets and coats something I did when I worked in the alterations dept for a major clothing store was to add a facing.  If you add a similar weight fabric as a facing to the inside of the hem of the coat/jacket sleeve and then edge stitch on the inside of the facing it works wonderfully.  If yo want to add a "designer" look use a loud print or bold fabric as the facing.  To lengthen the lining cut the lining about half way up the sleeve and insert a stripe of lining fabric as the extension.  This way you dont have the extra bulk at the sleeve hem and the different lining is totally hidden inside the upper part of the sleeve.  Of course, if the sleeve has a placket this may not work.  In some styles you can sew the placket closed and still add the extra facing inside.  This works great for pants also.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. ~Benjamin Franklin
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Celebrity Stylist Talks Hottest Trends Of 2013
H&M and ASOS Pull Angora Rabbit Products
Top 5 Ways to Look Cute When Its Cold Outside
Cute and Casual Holiday Outfit Tips
Hottest Holiday Party Fashions
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...