A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 296,728
Currently Running With Scissors:
533 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: help me find this pattern?!?  (Read 1500 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

FluffyMonkey
i feel my fate in what i cannot fear

The creative mind plays with what it loves

View Profile
« on: August 10, 2004 06:48:54 PM »

Can someone help me find This pattern for free? I'm way too poor to be buying patterns, so usually I find them on the internet. I can't find this one, though, and I can't figure out what the stitches are or I'd try to make it myself.

Fluffy Monkey

it's a happy day
« Last Edit: August 10, 2004 06:51:40 PM by FluffyMonkey » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"There are two kinds of strengths: the strength to lead, and the strength to follow; the strength to control, and the strength to yield. There are two kinds of power: the power to strip another's soul bare, and the power to stand naked."
~Yaldah Tovah

On Ravelry! Look me up; there I'm baela.
twintoo
Mom of the Year

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2004 07:13:19 AM »

I am pretty sure that one has been asked about a million times and everyone gets the same answer...buy the pattern.  I bought the pattern and have yet to make it because I can't afford the yarn to make it with.   I really do suggest that if you are too poor to buy the pattern, then you are too poor to make this poncho b/c the yarn it is made from is about $15/skein.  I am not saying that to be crappy, I only tell you b/c I wish someone would have told me! LOL Smiley Good Luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~Twintoo
Mom to Eli, 2
Stepmom to Madison, 9
greenchick

Enough to make a pearl

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2004 07:36:52 AM »

Ditto what twintoo said (think I might have said it to her in a thread as well, actually). The woman who designs the stuff at Stitch_Diva usually has pretty good sustitutions for her yarns, but I don't know about this one. When I made the Newlywed shawl, I used a worsted weight cotton yarn and it cost about $30 all told. My sister made this one using Crystal Palace's ribbon yarn (not sure of the name) for substantially less.

Jill
THIS ROCKS   Logged

FluffyMonkey
i feel my fate in what i cannot fear

The creative mind plays with what it loves

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2004 08:11:00 AM »

Good night! what kind of yarn is it, spun gold? . . .  Thanks for the advice, though.  I've found that I rarelly use the yarn a pattern calls for and it usually turns out fantastic.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"There are two kinds of strengths: the strength to lead, and the strength to follow; the strength to control, and the strength to yield. There are two kinds of power: the power to strip another's soul bare, and the power to stand naked."
~Yaldah Tovah

On Ravelry! Look me up; there I'm baela.
indiaromeo
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2004 08:21:55 AM »

I just ordered a downloadable pattern from Stitch Diva on eBay this week - thanks to reading everyone's recommendations on how great they are! When I opened the PDF file they sent, I was pleased to see that there was some info about substitution yarns included in the pattern instruction. Also included were recommendations on where to find the yarn for cheaper than retail (at elann.com).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lovely things for lovely people: www.indiaromeo.com
Because MALL is a four-letter word: www.thehandmademark et.com
Handcrafted adornments for body & home: www.thehandmaidens. com
catherine625
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2004 08:47:27 AM »

You can always go to the library and get knitting/crochet books that have patterns in them. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Adults are just obsolete children, and to hell with them."
                -Theodor Seuss Geisel (Dr. Seuss)
twintoo
Mom of the Year

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2004 12:13:15 PM »

Ditto what twintoo said (think I might have said it to her in a thread as well, actually).

Actually, I never asked about the patterns here b/c everyone else already had! LOL  I already knew the answer would be..buy the pattern!   Grin 

Like the others said, there are some alternative yarns on the list but I don't know what you classify as expensive.  I am just so used to buying Red Heart! LOL  Besdies that, I am from a really rural area and all we have are Hobby Lobby and WalMart so anything good I have to order online and that stinks!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~Twintoo
Mom to Eli, 2
Stepmom to Madison, 9
greenchick

Enough to make a pearl

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2004 09:59:18 PM »

Besdies that, I am from a really rural area and all we have are Hobby Lobby and WalMart so anything good I have to order online and that stinks!

Know what you mean . . . we just got an A. C. Moore here in the Poconos and I think I have died and gone to heaven. I just bought Caron Super Soft for another Newlywed Shawl for all of $15 so it truly is what you make of it as far as yarn goes.

Jill
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Caradea
Tutorial Contributor

former crocheter, avid photographer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2004 03:12:19 PM »

Hi, I know this is a bit of an old thread but that poncho is just a really wide and extra long rectangle folded over and sewn along the top, leaving part of it open for the head and then various fringe added. Using a large hook and fancy yarn and probably some changes inbetween either double or triple crochet stitches.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Quick Easy Recipes for Busy Moms
Truffles Mac and Cheese Recipe
Baked Rice and Peas with Chicken Recipe
Tri Colored Baked Mac and Cheese
How to Make BBQ Beef in a Crockpot
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...