A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 297,060
Currently Running With Scissors:
478 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Knitting-in Elastic  (Read 736 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Wizardesssss

Cherish your bliss!

View Profile
« on: July 25, 2006 01:10:17 AM »

Received this Patons Knitting-in Elastic from a friends grandmother and I've never heard anyone here using it or noticed it used in patterns before. Curious to know if anyone has used this before.

If you have, what did you use it on? did you wind it around the yarn or have it beside the yarn? would you recommend it? was the end effect worth it?

This may help, the packet states '400m elastic yarn which prevents sagging in cuffs, collars and waists. Work-in with knitting yarn on knitted or crochet garments.'

Nylon 79% and Elastone 21%
THIS ROCKS   Logged
greenchile
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2006 03:54:35 AM »

I've never used it before, but I know in the Stitch "n bitch book, the knee sock pattern calls for using elastic in the cuff
THIS ROCKS   Logged
elijor
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2006 06:14:36 AM »

I haven't ever used it but my Mom has a few times. She uses it on the cuffs of sweaters - particularly if they are knit out of cotton. It helps to keep the cuffs for stretching out of shape. She just held it and the yarn together (side by side) while she knit.

Oh she has also used it on store bought knits by threading a large needle and kind of weaving the elastic between the knit stitches.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Wizardesssss

Cherish your bliss!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2006 01:42:35 PM »

I haven't ever used it but my Mom has a few times. She uses it on the cuffs of sweaters - particularly if they are knit out of cotton. It helps to keep the cuffs for stretching out of shape. She just held it and the yarn together (side by side) while she knit.

Oh she has also used it on store bought knits by threading a large needle and kind of weaving the elastic between the knit stitches.

Would you mind asking her if she thought it made much of a difference to the 'life' of a sweater?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
elijor
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2006 02:02:15 PM »

Would you mind asking her if she thought it made much of a difference to the 'life' of a sweater?[/b]

Oh, I don't have to ask - she swears by it and even had freinds going to Germany search for some in different colors for her. Of course she does tend to make long sleeve sweaters then push the sleeves up several inches on her forearm. I think that tends to stretch out the cuffs, particularly on cotton.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
diosaperdida
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2006 02:20:24 PM »

I recall a pattern that recommended threading the elastic through the purl stitches after the knitting was done..I think it was a sock pattern. Seem it would be a very handy thing to have.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.diosaperdida.net  - My website
http://knittingbare.blogspot.com/ painting, knitting, whatever...it's all art
http://painting.craftgossip.com/  decorative painting techniques, projects and product info.
Lycidas
goth-industrial-ebm-knitter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2006 06:09:59 AM »

I recently used the knitting-in-elastic in a UFO called "rosebud" (one of knitty's sweater patterns)...
The word UFO says a lot, doesn't it? Undecided
THIS ROCKS   Logged

you guessed right: I'm not writing in my native language. please let me know my faux pas (and your improvement suggestions) via instant message! thank you! Smiley +++ visit my blog http://myblog.de/garnprinzessin
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Practice Ikebana
How to Make Pysanky
Pysanky Art Tools
The Art of Pysanky
How to Sell Your Soap at Craft Shows
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Decoupaged Table Top
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...