A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 300,899
Currently Running With Scissors:
367 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: ...just playing with some leftovers...I made shiny things! *Seven Pics*  (Read 8495 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

nihiliststar
Meow?

aliastriona steals souls with her camera...

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2006 05:37:51 PM »

I love the organicness of these pendents.  I'm not big on gold but I must admit that it compliments the colours of the stones wonderfully.  Well done, dearie!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

So many things fail to interest us, simply because they don't find in us enough surfaces on which to live, and what we have to do then is to increase the number of planes in our mind, so that a much larger number of themes can find a place in it at the same time.
~ Ortega Y Gasset ~
Avian Flight
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2006 05:53:22 PM »

Lovely! Looks great and really professional!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Wists
eula.wordpress.com - updated frequently! (food and bento)
roxybadoxy

Glcklich mich

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2006 06:12:20 PM »

those are gorgeous!! they have this Egyptian feel to it that i love!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

please help some animals by clicking here!
OH! and there are other tabs so you can do more helpful things. YAY!!
sewitup
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2006 06:31:11 PM »

these are awesome ! I really like the green one (your shocked right Huh), and i also like the blue one alot.  Definely send me your etsy when you get one !
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I love personal swaps ! Feel free to PM me !

http://www.wists.com/sewitup/all

http://www.Sewitup.etsy.com
MoZub
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2006 07:34:05 AM »

great Idea! rather convincingly "wire wraped" without all the hastle and too marks..... I hope they stay together for you.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Diane B.

GlassAttic --polymer clay "encyclopedia"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2006 08:36:55 AM »

since I sincerely doubt I'm the first person to wrap Sculpey around stuff...

No, but actually, I don't think I've ever seen any polymer clay rope wrapping exactly like that (and I've seen a lot).  They are really nice!!!  And the paper models are quite attractive too.

I had some white Sculpey... I'm not gonna cry or anything if they break, but I'll definitely be annoyed.  This may mean I have to actually get some good clay . . .

LOL... you definitely will!  Sculpey III (and even more so, the original white Sculpey) are weak after baking in thin places, and most of those places are thin. 
I'd be careful about selling them till you buy stronger clay though (Premo, FimoClassic, Kato, or Cernit) because they almost certainly will break with much stress (though the acrylic paint offers some support), or you might try strengthening the ones you have with a coat of liquid clay, or a number of coats of clear acrylic finish (if you use liquid clay, choose one of the brands that bakes up clearer than Translucent Liquid Sculpey, which would be Fimo's Liquid Decorating Gel or Kato's Bakable Clear Medium, apply it thinly then rebake as hot as possible for a short time like 5-10 min).

Have you thought of using mica powders (like Pearl Ex) or real-metal powders (Eberhard Faber/Fimo Pulvers or Mona Lisa brand) for your clay ropes instead of paint?  The powders won't stick to the glass stones, so you could brush-pounce it on after the piece is formed.

Diane B.
GlassAttic....polymer clay "encyclopedia" http://glassattic.com/polymer/contents.htm
little bit'o photosharing: http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/dianeatglassattic/my_photos

THIS ROCKS   Logged

POLYMER CLAY "ENCYCLOPEDIA" 
http://glassattic.com/polymer/contents.htm
few of my photos
http://s96.photobucket.com/albums/l163/DianeBB
(had to move them from YahooPhotos, so many now without captions)
aliastriona_angerboda
Pirate Queen, Insane Woman, Complete Nerd

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2006 09:01:56 AM »

Wow, quite a few replies have piled up on me!  Um, what to address first...other than saying Thank You! again.

I've been waiting for the infamous Diane B. to show up  Wink, so I'll start there.  I definitely plan on keeping a hold of this first batch - that green one is staying with me, sorry peoples - and making some stronger ones to sell, since I'm aware of the weakness of the clay I used.  I figure they have a better chance of staying intact with me since I know how fragile they are, and I would feel crappy making people pay for something that would more than likely fall apart.  I'm looking at this set as a sort of test run to figure out style and construction method more than anything else.

I'll do my best to recreate the look of the beloved green pendant, I promise, but it may take awhile for me to get a shop.  At the moment I don't even have a bank account so I don't yet have access to PayPal, but I'm working on it (and no snark from you about that, nihiliststar!).

Pearl Ex I've got, so I'll have to try that out.  Acrylic paint, generally, is easier and safer for me to use around the familial menagerie of little children and pets so it's usually my first choice, but I'll have to experiment with the powders now, definitely.

And until it was said here I hadn't much thought about them looking wire-wrapped!  Though my younger brother thanks roxybadoxy for the Egyptian comment...that's the first thing he said when he saw them and figured he was the only one who thought that.  My own thoughts ran more along the lines of organic and serpentine...

Does that cover the specific stuff?  I surely hope so...and again, thanks everybody for saying such wonderful things!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

drive-inlover

how could you get a 'C' on a coathanger sculpture?

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2006 08:26:27 PM »

these are simply gorgeous! I like your idea, it's not something I would've ever thought of...I might have to try something like this in the future!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"nothing spoils the taste of peanut butter like unrequited love."
                 -Charlie Brown
Sarie23
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2006 07:12:02 PM »

Wow I really like those. I think its really cool how you have a bunch of different designs and different ways for them to hang.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~Sarah

http://sarie23.deviantart.com/
[[I post a bunch more on there]]
sunnyb64

free as a bird...it's the next best thing to be

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2006 09:43:34 PM »

Oh, I love them! So pretty. I might have to borrow this idea. Smiley (Not an exact copy though, because I'm not a stalker, and I like silver better than gold anyway.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Style Thick and Wavy Hair to a Long Face
How to Style Coarse and Textured Hair to a Long Face
How to Match Coarse Textured Hair with a Square Face
How Style Straight Hair for a Heart Shaped Face
How to Style Hair for an Oval Face
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag
Tute Tuesday: Honkin' Big Beach Ball Snowman

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...