A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 297,180
Currently Running With Scissors:
602 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: French Knot Tutorial (with pictures)  (Read 16733 times)
Tags for this thread: french_knot , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Katxena
Gardening fool

Confused.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: July 24, 2006 08:36:15 PM »

Several people have posted about having problems with French Knots, and I've devised a few tricks for them, so I thought I would post a tutorial.  I hope this is helpful.  Please let me know if anything is unclear, or if you have suggestions for improvement.  Unfortunately, this is a right-handed tutorial, and I don't know how to reverse it for lefties.  Sad

There are 11 steps, but don't let that intimidate you.  French knots are easy -- I just wanted to show my process in as much detail as possible!  It takes me about 3-5 seconds to make a knot this way.

1) If you are using a multi-stranded thread (like DMC floss), separate every strand and put the number of strands you need back together before threading your needle.  Do this even if you are using all the strands -- it *will* help prevent tangles.

2) Put your fabric in a hoop or frame -- I don't have luck making knots without one, and I don't think my method would work very well without one.

3) Pull your thread to the front side of your work (see below), in the place where you want to make a knot.  It's helpful to feel the back to make sure the thread didn't get tangled up as it went through the fabric.

4) Grab the thread with your left hand, as shown below.  The thread should form a triangle, with one point in the fabric, one point in your left hand, and one point in the needle.  Notice that the long edge of this triangle is at the top of the picture, away from your body.  This is important -- it's more likely to tangle if the long edge is toward your body.

5) Keep a good amount of tension on the thread with your left hand.  You don't want to pull so hard that you strain the fabric, but it should be tight.  Do not move the thread!  Use your needle to go around the thread -- all the action is in your right hand.

6) When you've got the number of wraps around the needle you want, pause and push them close together with your left thumbnail.  This helps to keep things neat.  I usually use 4 wraps for 2 strands of DMC floss -- sometimes more for big knots, or less for little knots.

7)  With your right hand, maneuver the needle down through the fabric, while maintaining the tension with your left hand.  Also, you need to hold the thread in your left hand close to the fabric, angled away from your body.  I usually do not go back down through the same hole -- I go down just a little bit next to it.

8 ) Push the needle through the fabric until just the eye is poking up above the fabric.  Let go of the needle with your right hand, and...

9) ... drop the thread from your left hand and immeadiately plant your thumb over the little bit of needle that is still poking up.  Don't delay in doing this, you want the tension to stay in the thread so that it doesn't get loose.

10) Hold your left thumb in place, and reach around the hoop with your right hand and pull the needle through.  I often use a needle-puller for this because it can sometimes be hard to get the needle through.  The needle-puller shown below is really the "point-gripper" from my Boye Needlemaster set (http://www.wrights.com/products/catalog/boyeline/7312_lg.htm -- these are knitting needles).  You could also use one of those plastic things that are used to help open jars -- just cut it down to a comfortable size.

11) Pull the thread all the way through, and you're done!  You should have a cute, neat little French knot on the front.

There are two secrets to making this method work:  good tension in steps 4 through 8, and using your thumb in step 9.

Now, can anyone explain to me how to make satin stitch smooth?  Mine always looks lumpy and messy.

Edited to add detail to step #7.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2006 06:17:47 AM by Katxena » THIS ROCKS   Logged
AliBeachGrl
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2006 08:50:13 PM »

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU.   Grin

I have been wondering how these were done.  Just started dabbling in embroidery.  Love the knot look, but though that is WAY out of my league, but this makes them seem doable.  You give great tute!

THANKS.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

There are no rules of architecture for a castle in the clouds.
~Gilbert K. Chesterton
tofuttibreak
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2006 08:54:14 PM »

Wow! That's a really great tutorial. I wish that it had been around when I was trying to learn...it took me hours and hours to get it down. Great photos!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Chelsea
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2006 05:49:07 PM »

That's how I learned how to do it from some site a long time ago, but I haven't been able to find the site since to post when people have questions. That is perfect how you put each step - other directions tend to leave stuff out, like holding down the thread close to the fabric as you pull it through, I think that was the part I was always missing. 

With how horrible the dang knots can be at first, and how many times it's asked, this should be a sticky post at the top!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
slystr
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2006 05:12:00 AM »

this is a great tute! thank you !
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sarafina65

automatic supersonic hypnotic funky-fresh

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2006 12:19:47 AM »

Did you ever know that you're my hero?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Katxena
Gardening fool

Confused.

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2006 06:15:42 AM »

Thanks for all the nice comments!  I'm glad this has been helpful!  It was fun to put together -- figuring out how to photograph it, when I needed both hands to *do* it was a trick.

other directions tend to leave stuff out, like holding down the thread close to the fabric as you pull it through, I think that was the part I was always missing.

You know what's funny? I never consciously realized that holding the thread clost to the fabric was important -- but you're right, it totally is.  I'm going to edit the tutorial so that it says that in words, not just pictures.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Sew Its For You
Everyone should be a little more kind, even me.

formally known as joolz

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2006 08:53:51 AM »

I am going to have to try this out.  I am terrible at making french knots..SoOO bad!!!

thanks for the tute Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

givemegrace

She's electric!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2006 09:46:05 AM »

Thank you soooo much for this tutorial!  I'm finally able to do French knots.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Katxena
Gardening fool

Confused.

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2006 12:13:17 PM »

Thank you soooo much for this tutorial!  I'm finally able to do French knots.  Smiley

Awesome!  I'm so glad to learn that this was helpful to someone!  Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Crochet Simple Baby Booties Part 1/7
How to Crochet Little Mary Jane Booties Part 9/19
How to Crochet People Holding Hands Borders
How to Crochet Little Mary Jane Booties Part 8/19
How to Crochet Little Mary Jane Booties Part 6/19
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...