A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 299,157
Currently Running With Scissors:
477 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 18
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Cropped shrug/hoodie *now with pattern*  (Read 103710 times)
Tags for this thread: shawl , wrap , shrug , pattern  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

viri
« Reply #110 on: October 19, 2006 05:06:01 PM »

I casted on for the left side. I have 560 m of some chap cotton- viscose yarn. I use 6mm needles to get the gague. do U think it will be enough? if not I'll skip the hoode  Embarrassed the best part.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"capoeira e meu irmao"
mel_lovey

Sometimes a flower is all you need! ;o)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #111 on: October 19, 2006 09:59:40 PM »

I haven't posted a picture yet, but...

Let's see- I used almost 9 balls of Andean silk, which were 96 yards each. That makes about 850 yards, which would be...about 776 meters? Oh, and I used size 7 needles, and made the whole thing a few stitches smaller on each piece, then picked up the ribbing with size 6, and bound off by knitting two together on the purl rib (otherwise it turned out more like a ruffled edge! I bound off 3 times before getting it perfectly right).

I was really surprised at how much yarn I used though- about 5.5 balls for the body, which was average, but the hood just sucked it up!

viri...Maybe you could make a sort of slouchy cowl neck instead?

Ooh, or maybe you could do a variegated striped hoodie? Just to stretch the yarn, you could do varying sized stripes of a different color- I think it would look really cute and somewhat sporty that way! And then you could pick up the ribbed stitches all in the original color to tie the whole thing in... ideas, ideas!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I absolutely <3 Craftster!

...By the way,has anyone seen my dpns...?

blog: http://www.xanga.com/fortheloveoffood
neggie
« Reply #112 on: October 21, 2006 04:41:36 PM »

I just cast off and wove in all my sweet ends... and am currently wearing my new shrug! I shouldn't have worried about the hood-- it all worked out thanks to the ribbed edging. I decided to give it three-quarter length sleeves to save on time, yarn, and also because I usually push my sleeves up anyway.

All in all it probabaly cost me just under 15$.Smiley I used cheap, 100% acrylic (but so soft!) Bernat Satin in "Sultana, " which you can see here.

It's also my first actual garment (I don't really count scarves, hats, mitts, and socks)! I'm pretty proud. Hopefully once the batteries for my digital camera recharge I can post a pic. Thanks for the great pattern!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kdigggs
« Reply #113 on: October 22, 2006 11:46:56 AM »

oh man...
this is great!  simple and the kind of thing you'd wear all the time!
i saved the pattern...
THANK YOU for sharing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Some women follow their dreams. Others mercilessly chase them down until they catch them.

http://kdigggs.blogspot.com/
RoseRed81
Amateur

Do I dare disturb the universe?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #114 on: October 25, 2006 07:09:48 AM »

Question from one who is a totally inexperienced nub:

"Left Front:
...End with WS row facing you.
BO 6 sts beginning of next row (left hand side)..."

End with WS row facing me - does that mean I've just completed a RS row, or that I've just completed a WS row?

Thanks for the patience. Smiley

THIS ROCKS   Logged

dfm
« Reply #115 on: October 27, 2006 08:29:36 AM »

Hi Everyone,
Huge thanks to rtrgrrl for originally posting this pattern that she designed on this forum. She offered it in a medium size (32-36 bust). For those of us who would like to knit one, but need a larger size (38-42 bust), I have edited this pattern for the larger size. I have made it, and it turned out very well for me. 

Cropped Shrug Hoodie Size 38/42 inch bust

-----------------BEGIN PATTERN--------------------

Please be sure to read through the pattern in full first!

Gauge:

16 st/22 rows over 4"(10cm) in Stockinette
US #9 needles or size needed for gauge.
Straight or any size circular for body pieces.
US #8 32" circular or biggest size available for edging. (you will have a lot of stitches!)

Yarn: I used Cascade Pastaza Heavy Worsted 8 skeins (132 yds per skein)

Size:  Large 38/42 inch bust

Sizing Guide:

If you need more width, increase the number of stitches, but keep it a multiple of 4 plus 2 to keep the 2x2 rib.

Sleeves are roughly 13" or so in circumference. Increase as need be.

**Note: Purl all WS rows.

Back:

CO 82 sts. Work 2x2 rib for 3" (approx 14 rows).

Continue in Stockinette st. until piece measures 9 1/2" (approx 34 rows) (or desired length; for mine, I did the measurement of the armpit to the natural waist)

BO 6 sts beginning of next 2 rows.

Continue raglan decreases as follows: Dec at each end every other RS row 12 times. (If more length is required, inc. number of repeats)
End on WS. BO all sts.

Left Front:

CO 42 sts. Work 2x2 rib for 3" (approx 14 rows). Cont in Stockinette until piece measures 9 1/2" (approx 34 rows) (or same length as desired for back). End with WS row facing you.

BO 6 sts beginning of next row (left hand side).

Continue raglan decreases as follows: Dec on left-hand side every other RS row 12 times. (If more length is required, inc. number of repeats to that of back). Begin decreasing on right hand side as well at 4th decrease.

BO all sts.

Right Front:

CO 42 sts. Work 2x2 rib for 3" (approx 14 rows). Cont in Stockinette until piece measures 9 1/2" (approx 35 rows) (or same length as desired for back). End with RS row facing.

BO 6 sts beginning of next row (right hand side).

Continue raglan decreases as follows: Dec on right-hand side every other RS row 12 times. (If more length is required, inc. number of repeats to that of back). Begin decreasing on left hand side as well at 4th decrease.

BO all stitches.

Sleeves: Make 2

CO 46 sts. Work 2" (8 rows) of rib.

Increase 10 sts evenly over next row (56 sts)

Continue straight in St St until sleeves are desired length to armpit, (approx 18 in. 81 rows)

BO 6 sts beginning of next 2 rows.

Continue raglan decreases as follows: Dec at each end every other RS row 12 times. (If more length is required, inc. number of repeats, same number as all other raglan decreases)

BO all sts.

Sew all body pieces together. (sew sweater side seams, sew sleeve arm seams, set in raglan sleeves)

Hood:

Pick up 3 out of 4 stitches along the neck edge for hood. (total number of sts should be an even number) This will draw in neck edge so sweater stays better on shoulders. PATIENCE! THERE WILL BE A LOT OF STITCHES. Knit in St st for about 3.5". End on WS

pm at center of stitches.

Increase each side marker every other RS row 4 times. (k to marker, m1, slip marker, m1, k to end.)

Work straight in St st for about 2.5".

K to 2 sts before marker, ssk, slip marker, k2tog, k to end. Do this every other RS row 2 more times, then every RS row 7 times.

Use 3 needle BO to seam hood halves together. (If you're ambitious, use kitchener st to graft together instead.)

Edging:

With smaller needles, pick up sts around the middle and hood as below

Knit in 2x2 rib for 6 rows. (If desired, make button holes over rows 3 and 4) BO all sts.

-----------------END PATTERN--------------------
THIS ROCKS   Logged
viri
« Reply #116 on: October 27, 2006 10:08:45 AM »

Well the problem is I've allready finished the two sides, and my yarn is cotton with lighter viscose stripes so I don't think it would look good. I like the v neck. Maybe I'll have enough yarn to knit the the sleeves longer like a cardi / armwarmer combo. And I'll have a good reason to knit an other one Wink Maybe one with stripes. thanx anyway mel_lovey.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"capoeira e meu irmao"
RoseRed81
Amateur

Do I dare disturb the universe?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #117 on: October 29, 2006 05:07:08 PM »

I'm almost done with the second sleeve! I can't wait to finish it and wear it every day.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MistyKnits
« Reply #118 on: November 09, 2006 05:15:16 AM »

Anybody know how much yarn is needed for this pattern? 

Edit:   Nevermind I found my answer.  Grin
« Last Edit: November 09, 2006 08:22:08 AM by MistyKnits » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Nashooshie
« Reply #119 on: November 30, 2006 05:44:29 PM »

Help out a confused new knitter?

I am so lost with this bit.
BO 6 st beginning of next 2 rows.
Does it mean that I have to BO the first 6 st on each end?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 18 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Plait Hair
How to Scrunch Straight Hair
How to Twist Short Hair
How to Prom Hairstyles
How to Straighten Black Hair
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing
@Home This Weekend: Embellished Guest Towels
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hostess Gift

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...