A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 297,223
Currently Running With Scissors:
380 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 18
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Cropped shrug/hoodie *now with pattern*  (Read 101695 times)
Tags for this thread: shawl , wrap , shrug , pattern  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

rtrgrrl
« on: July 24, 2006 07:03:25 PM »

I am generally a lurker but thought I would share my latest creation!

I am an American lady living in Sydney. Shrugs are all the rage here, and being the middle of winter I thought I would make my own version to keep warm! Self-designed; [edit: see below for pattern!]. Made out of the following yarn http://www.skiyarn.com/keito/keito-img/cardea.jpg (It's all in Japanese so I can't really read much other than the glaringly obvious English; the website is all in Japanese, too). I am also a sucker for all things pink, so I couldn't resist the yarn when I saw it. (For those in Sydney, it is available at Tapestry Craft.)

-----------------BEGIN PATTERN--------------------

Ok I have finally found some time to write up a rudimentary pattern. I apologize if it is not very clear, this is the first pattern I have ever written!

Please be sure to read through the pattern in full first!

Gauge:

16 st/22 rows over 4"(10cm) in Stockinette
US #8 (5mm) needles or size needed for gauge.
Straight or any size circular for body pieces.
US #7(4.5mm) 32" circular or biggest size available for edging. (you will have a lot of stitches!)

Sizing Guide:

I wrote this pattern sized for myself. I have roughly a 34" chest, although it came out very stretchy so it could accomodate a few larger sizes. If you need more width, increase the number of stitches, but keep it a multiple of 4 to keep the 2x2 rib.

Sleeves are roughly 11" or so in circumference. Increase as need be.

**Note: Purl all WS rows.

Back:

CO 68 sts. Work 2x2 rib for 3" (20 rows).

Continue in Stockinette st. until piece measures 8" (32 rows) (or desired length; for mine, I did the measurement of the armpit to the natural waist)

BO 6 st beginning of next 2 rows.

Continue raglan decreases as follows: Dec at each end every other RS row 10 times. (If more length is required, inc. number of repeats)
BO all stitches.

Left Front:

CO 34 sts. Work 2x2 rib for 3" (20 rows). Cont in Stockinette until piece measures 8" (32 rows) (or same length as desired for back). End with WS row facing you.

BO 6 sts beginning of next row (left hand side).

Continue raglan decreases as follows: Dec on left-hand side every other RS row 10 times. (If more length is required, inc. number of repeats to that of back). Begin decreasing on right hand side as well at 4th decrease.

BO all stitches.

Right Front:

CO 34 sts. Work 2x2 rib for 3" (20 rows). Cont in Stockinette until piece measures 8" (32 rows) (or same length as desired for back). End with RS row facing.

BO 6 sts beginning of next row (right hand side).

Continue raglan decreases as follows: Dec on right-hand side every other RS row 10 times. (If more length is required, inc. number of repeats to that of back). Begin decreasing on left hand as well side at 4th decrease.

BO all stitches.

Sleeves:

CO 46 sts. Work 2" (12 rows) of rib.

Continue straight in St. st until sleeves are desired length to armpit.

BO 6 st beginning of next 2 rows.

Continue raglan decreases as follows: Dec at each end every other RS row 10 times. (If more length is required, inc. number of repeats, same number as all other raglan decreases)

BO all stitches.

Your pieces should look kind of like this (apologies for the elementary graphics):

http://www.heatherd.org/images/sweater_diagram.gif

Sew all body pieces together.

Hood:

Pick up stitches along the neck for hood. PATIENCE! THERE WILL BE A LOT OF STITCHES. Knit in St st. for about 3.5".

pm at center of stitches.

k to marker, m1, slip marker, m1, k to end. Do this every other RS row 3 more times (4 total)
Work straight in St st for about 2.5".

K to 2 sts before marker, ssk, slip marker, k2tog, k to end. Do this every other RS row 2 more times, then every RS row 7 times.

Use 3 needle BO to seam hood halves together. (If you're ambitious, use kitchener st to graft together instead. I am not ambitious.)

Edging:

With smaller needles, pick up sts around the middle and hood as seen here (again, sorry for the crappy image):

http://www.heatherd.org/images/sweater_diagram2.gif

Knit in 2x2 rib for 8 rows. BO all sts.

Block and wear proudly!  You can close it with a pin if you want, I tend to just leave it hanging open.

-----------------END PATTERN--------------------

Cheers!

Please let me know if there is any problem with the pattern and I will try and explain as best I can! I work long long days as a systems admin so apologies in advance if I cannot get back to you right away.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2011 03:58:22 PM by jungrrl - Reason: changed non-working images to links. » THIS ROCKS   Logged
haykyn

Smart Women Vote!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2006 07:17:42 PM »

I really like that!  especially the thick/long ribbing at the bottom.  Is that your own pattern?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Trust yourself.  You know more than you think you do.  -Dr. Spock
skuterrat
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2006 07:18:20 PM »

mmm, that is gorgeous.  great job!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Adishtam
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2006 11:22:03 PM »

Fabulous!! Want one!! Please let us know where you got the pattern from... Shocked
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SylvChezPlum
Knitting and crocheting in France

J'adoooore Crafster !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2006 11:52:56 PM »

looks great, congrats ! Love love  the yarn and colorway too !!

Is that raglan shaping I see ? Did you knit it top down and pick up stitches at the end for the hood ?

sylv
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Patterns & free Patterns: ChezPlum - Blog - Etsy -
Rav - Craftsy
RunsWithNeedles
chyeah

i like to get naked.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2006 01:28:32 AM »

loooooooooooooooves it.

i hope you write down the pattern soon.  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sit right next to me<br />Against the glass<br />Where we both can see<br />Focus on the ground<br />Disbelief of where we used to be<br />--"Troposphere" by Steve Burns--
rachelo
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2006 06:48:01 AM »

I am not normally a fan of shrugs, but I really, really like yours!  When you get a pattern together, I'd love to add your sweater to my "to knit" list.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2006 08:30:03 AM by rachelo » THIS ROCKS   Logged
knitting_nyxxie
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2006 06:49:58 AM »

Wow I love that! I think that I must make one for myself. Is it your pattern? Would you mind sharing it with us so that we can make it too?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Are you in Middle TN Join us TN Craftsters!
Wist
diy_girl
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2006 06:58:12 AM »

that is a really cute original project.  i love the color.  it would look great with one of those toggle type wooden buttons.  thanks for the inspiration!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rosecomet

Que papi chulo!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2006 07:39:14 AM »

I love it. Where did you get the pattern?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 18 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Crochet Simple Baby Booties Part 3/7
How to Crochet Simple Baby Booties Part 4/7
How to Crochet Simple Baby Booties Part 1/7
How to Crochet Little Mary Jane Booties Part 9/19
How to Crochet People Holding Hands Borders
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Molded Hot Glue
More Amazing Matchboxes
Meatless Monday: Pumpkin Spice Latte

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...