A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 301,975
Currently Running With Scissors:
405 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Voodoo Hoodoo Creepy Cute doll Swap Round 2 Gallery  (Read 25194 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Hookin Flamingo

What were you saying again?

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2006 09:46:46 AM »

OK her is the story all about the doll..
It is prolly abot 7 inchs tall and made from sculpy
Now a little about all of the symbols on it...
The head...I did in a Mexican day of the dead style
The torso..one side has red candles, flowers, and skulls This is a must for any voodoo alter
The other side is a fish skelaton..goes back to the bones you need for alters and also in most any gris gris (pronounced gree gree) you will have small bones from either a fish or a chicken
Ok one arm has a black cat and the number 13 (those speak for themselves) and it also has 3 red Xs on it
in voodoo the 3 red Xs are a symbol for both man and woman and life. Most all gris gris and voodoo type spells start with the 3 Xs on a peice of parchment paper.
In Saint Lewis Cemetary #1 in the French Quater the famous voodoo prestess Marie Laveau is buried inone of the above ground crypts. To this day people still come and place alters in front of her crypt and mark 3 red Xs on the side of the crypt in prayer and for blessings.
On the other arm are paisleys...often in rituals most people wear all white dress but will wear a sash or head band that is bright colors or bright print. This is to guies the good spirits into certain parts of the body. If a good spirirt was to enter your body it is considered rude to let it enter into you through any other way than your head, heart or stomach.
Next...on one leg..is a snake...in voodoo culture the snake is considered to hold the spirits of past voodoo preist and preistess. On the same leg is a triangle and the "all seeing eye" .  The triangle represents the 3 parts of time Past, present and future and the "all seeing eye" that sees it all and knows all.
The eye is sometimes painted on the palm of some ones hand before a ritual so that they can see into the future orif a ritual is done "to" a person the preist or preist paints on on his/her hand so that they can see the problems the person recieving the ritual is having.
On the other leg is a tree of life (often represented by a willow) and one leaf to represent all we are in the grand sceam of life.
And There is also a hand and a square inside a circle.
The hand represents where most of your power is held when in use. And the square int he circle is one of the symbols often drawn on the floor in a room where a ritual will be held.

Whew! that is alot...And I may have gotten some of it out of order as to where it is on the doll...but you getthe idea.
I have several friend who live in New Orleans and one who runs a vampire/ghost/cemetary/voodoo tour. They helped alot with the symbols and what they mean.
I made sure not to put anything on the doll that was bad  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I would love to make you a journal for a personal swap. PM me!
My wist: http://www.wists.com/hookinflamingo
My blog: http://thehappyhookinflamingo.blogspot.com/

Dorkariffic asked me to the hoe down *blushes* I feel like Cinderella going to the ball *GRIN*
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Make All Things, especially from stash

Your life is what you make of it

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2006 10:11:08 AM »

Thank you so much hookinflamingo!!  I love to know the stories...you did a beautiful job--when I visit New Orleans next time, I will certainly be much more interested in the voodoo aspects!!

I have many voodoo dolls but none like yours!! WOW!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Hookin Flamingo

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2006 02:11:21 PM »

I received today from Topolino  Grin
I will post pics in just a few....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Dorkariffic asked me to the hoe down *blushes* I feel like Cinderella going to the ball *GRIN*
Hookin Flamingo

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2006 02:20:11 PM »

Here is my doll from Topolino
(sorry for the crappy pics... all I have is a web cam for now)

She looks to be a made over Disney Princess doll with a wooden stake and a fur coat covered in blood.
I will let Topolino tell more about her.  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

millik
Cap'm of the Nerd Brigade

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2006 03:04:19 PM »

I just remembered to look at this thread today and two dolls are already posted Smiley I love the symbolism on the sculpey skellington. You really put a lot of thought and work into it...nice job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2006 04:27:53 PM »

My swap partner was vtgirl.  But, she and her hubby worked on my HooDoo Doll as a team.  She was the creative artist and he did the sewing and construction (gotta love a man who is creative as well!).  Vtgirl also did the embellishments.  This team really did a great job and worked hard to make something creative, personal and very well made...

Without further ado, let me introduce all of you to STREGA JOSEPHINA!!!!
(I was told by vtgirl that her cane was not suppose to be "bent"--I simply straightened it out so here it is "fixed")

She is a good witch, living in the villages of Italy, where she dispenses her knowledge of herbs to heal the villagers.  Her "magic" is rewarded with food and shelter to make her life comfortable.  She is respected and revered by all.

Here are some of the detail shots:

Side view of the head and the wonderful face!

Beading work on the headscarf!

Beading on the hem, paisley shoes, jingle bells on the shoes!

She is wearing a pinafore/apron with a pocket that contains tiny little "people"! Her bag is glittery with stars and closes with a button that has stars and moon (what attention to detail!).  The handle of the bag are two strands of beads.

Sorry for all of the pics, but vtgirl and hubby should be very proud of this doll!! Plus, IT IS THEIR FIRST TRY AT DOLL-MAKING!!!

You know, I have been angeling a lot lately and everyone tells you that you get crafty kharma--well, people, believe it!!  I am very lucky to have received this gift!!  Thank you both so much!!!
« Last Edit: September 13, 2011 02:59:09 PM by Phizzychick - Reason: fixed a coding issue » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Hookin Flamingo

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2006 04:32:13 PM »

STREGA JOSEPHINA is amazing!!!!
Such great detail!
I am so jealous  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2006 04:38:01 PM »

I forgot to say that Josephina is about 12"/30cm tall and weighs about 3 pounds!!  Sturdy gal, she is and, not sure, but she is weighted with what feels like sand---perhaps vtgirl could answer that question!

The walking stick is pretty neat as well--looks hand carved for pete's sake!!

Oh, and she has fingers!! and beads in her BRAIDED hair...ok, I am stopping now...hee hee
« Last Edit: July 27, 2006 05:01:01 PM by alwaysinmyroom » THIS ROCKS   Logged

vtgirl
"Impossible sir, it's in Johnson's underwear."

Loves flow charts.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2006 06:30:03 PM »

I can't believe you put Josephina as your avatar  Cheesy  What a confidence booster LOL!  I'm so glad you liked her. 

I'm very disappointed that her walking stick got broken though  Cry  Such is the luck in shipping.  It was sort of hand carved, hubby and I were debating over what to use and he had a bunch of willow branches (he's getting ready to build a coracle http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coracle ) in the yard so he snagged one and whittled it a little to make it pretty.

The little people in her pocket are worry dolls.  She's a little heavy because we put a pouch of rice in the bottom of her to keep her weighted so she would stand upright. Scott did the fingers on a whim and was tickled that they came out so well.  This was my first shot at beading as well and I think I'm addicted,  EVERYTHING SHOULD HAVE BEADS  Wink I used yarn I had in my stash for the hair, I made a bunch of braids, dreaded them, put a bead in and then strung them in two layers for her hair.  Tedious, well worth it.

She really was a blast to make and something fun for Scott and I to do together.  She went through many changes as we progressed, everything from different hats to smaller boobs  Grin  I'm just so glad she brings someone else pleasure.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"If you're referring to the incident with the dragon, I was barely involved." ~ Gandalf

Twitter = sicavt
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2006 06:39:11 PM »

ha ha--I had no idea the stick was broken!!  I thought it was cool how it curved like that!! omgosh!! ha ha  I am not sure I want to fix it!!  She is sitting on a small table at the door, watching out over us...

I was in Guatamala--they have worry dolls there--I had forgotten until you just mentioned it!! WOW!!

Rice, huh--pretty clever!!  And yes, everything needs beads...I am sure we will see yours and Scott's talent again soon!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Susanna Clarke Wishes She Had This Talent
Ian Halperin Talks About Unmasked: The Final Years of Michael Jackson
Charles R. Smith Jr. Talks About My People
Brendan McNally Talks About Germania
Pete Cerqua Talks About 90-Second Fitness Solution
Latest Blog Articles
Fire Up the Grill: Jerk Steak
Tute Tuesday: July 4th Light Up the Sky Hat
Hooray for the Red, White, and Blue

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...