A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 296,762
Currently Running With Scissors:
411 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Simplicity 4072  (Read 6249 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

i.am.flowerchild

Hello from Australia!

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 20, 2006 04:53:02 PM »

Ok, well the weird thing is that I couldn't find this pattern (nor the McCalls one or the New Look one) anywhere!!!

I dunno if it's not available in Australia or maybe it's an older pattern or whatever, but I just couldn't find it.

Anyway so I had to draft my own.  It didn't quite end up the way that I wanted it - but I think it was alright for a first time go.

I'll post some pics later today so that you can see it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
i.am.flowerchild

Hello from Australia!

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 20, 2006 11:00:22 PM »

Ok, here's the pic of the dress:

I had to draft the pattern myself and next time I'll change a few things:

I didn't drop the neckline down far enough and it's a bit hard to get on, plus the band around the waist is just a little bit too high. I'd probably make the sleeves wider so that they hang a little bit more and I'd probably make the dress a bit shorter.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
magpie_eyes

I like shiny things!

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 21, 2006 03:07:27 AM »

It looks really good!  I had enough problems making it WITH the pattern, so I am impressed.  One of the differences is they had some slight gathering just below the chest above the band, and the skirt was four (?) panels that were also gathered.  If it doesn't cost a mazillion dollars, I could send you the pattern from Canada if you wanted to try and make one from it  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

katie_ramone9
« Reply #33 on: November 21, 2006 07:44:06 AM »

i just bought this pattern and cut out my pieces but how much bigger is this going to be? i dont want to be drowning in it.  I cut out size 14 (my normal pattern size) out of this silky polyester (which i am really afraid to sew).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i.am.flowerchild

Hello from Australia!

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 22, 2006 02:24:27 AM »

magpie_eyes

Thanks for the offer but I'm still fiddling with the pattern I made.  I'm nearly finished on my second dress "with amendments".

I didn't like the gathering (as I've made this in cotton I thought it would be too puffy) and I didn't want to have ties on it either.

I should have the next one finished in a couple of days so will post pics then.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
meeja
« Reply #35 on: November 22, 2006 06:55:13 AM »

I made this in stretchy cotton and silk velvet (or rather my Mum did). Same problems as mentioned above (one sided ties, velvet is a pain to work with) and it was a bit short over the chest. Though overall I was pretty happy with it. Did I mention it was my wedding dress?

THIS ROCKS   Logged
i.am.flowerchild

Hello from Australia!

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 22, 2006 11:45:52 PM »

meeja that dress is gorgeous!!

Ok, here's my second attempt with amendments - I dropped the neckline lower and shortened the hem so it was more of a top than a dress (the top ends at the blue hem - peeking out below that is my grey singlet top):

THIS ROCKS   Logged
mahkev
« Reply #37 on: January 22, 2007 10:32:51 AM »

i just bought this pattern and cut out my pieces but how much bigger is this going to be? i dont want to be drowning in it.  I cut out size 14 (my normal pattern size) out of this silky polyester (which i am really afraid to sew).

I have the same question, My measurements were exact to the size 14, but after reading this thread im a little afraid to start cutting out my pattern pieces.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

katie_ramone9
« Reply #38 on: January 22, 2007 12:15:30 PM »

I have the same question, My measurements were exact to the size 14, but after reading this thread im a little afraid to start cutting out my pattern pieces.

I made the dress in a size 14 and it fit me fine.  the ties can make it even smaller if needed.  i only needed it to be pulled in a little at the waist and it fit perfect.  it needs to be a little bigger because the only way to get it on is to pull it over your head so you need to be able to get your arms in and everything.  id say go with your normal size.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mahkev
« Reply #39 on: January 22, 2007 12:38:08 PM »

I made the dress in a size 14 and it fit me fine.  the ties can make it even smaller if needed.  i only needed it to be pulled in a little at the waist and it fit perfect.  it needs to be a little bigger because the only way to get it on is to pull it over your head so you need to be able to get your arms in and everything.  id say go with your normal size.

oh thank you so much for that, I must get started now!!  it makes sense being a pullover now that you say that.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Look Chic But Feel Comfy
DIY Cute American Flag Shorts
5 Trendy Spring Looks For Less
Kellan Lutz Reveals His One Fashion Mistake
Pharrell to Collaborate with Adidas Using Recycled Materials
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Quick and Easy Organizer
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...