A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
November 17 News: WOW!  Congratulate the winner of DIY Halloween Costumes 2015!
Total Members: 303,777
Currently Running With Scissors:
585 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Simplicity 4072  (Read 8208 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
« on: July 23, 2006 04:42:08 PM »

Hopefully this pattern hasn't already been discussed.

I have two questions about it:
1) Has anyone made this dress and how did it go (did it fit well, would you use a different size next time etc...)
2) I'm looking for the fabric they used for the velvet trimmed version - does anyone know where I can get this? (if this is off-topic let me know and I will post it else where)

« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2006 04:49:20 PM »

I'd like to know as well, as I've been looking at this pattern for ages. It looks really cute, but I feel like it would just look like a sack on me. Maybe I'll just give in and make it anyways.
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2006 01:30:31 AM »

Although it isn't the same pattern, a similiar style of dress is discussed here:
http://www.dressaday.com/2006/07/wrap-and-duro-roundup.html (scroll down a bit)
and the various links that come off it. I think I also saw a discussion somewhere on Craftster, so maybe try search Duro.
That is some pretty fabric, and if you want the exact stuff it might involve less running around and contact Simplicity directly.
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2006 04:30:28 AM »

I've purchased it for my daughter.  It has been about 35 years since I made one like it.  I have not yet even selected the fabric for her dress.
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2006 08:17:34 PM »

I'm in the process of (getting ready) to make this dress.  I know that it runs a bit large, so I'm planning on cutting one to two sizes smaller than what I would normally make.  If you check the finished garment measurements you can see that it's still pretty big. 

I agree with paroper - contact simplicity about the fabric.  A lot of times you'de be suprised that you can find the fabrics at you local fabric stores!

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2006 10:36:34 PM »

Most velvet is not considered washable so you'll need to follow the instructions concerning fabric.  It may be velvateen which is washable. 
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2006 06:52:53 PM »

well to bad i didn't read this earlier today b/c i cut mine a size bigger than what i needed oh well at least i got my fabric at wally world for $1 a yard. and now I'm stuck at how you sew the top to the bottom do you put the right sides of the bottom and top together or what??? if any one can help thanks i would love to finish this tomorrow and since this is the closest i have ever come to finishing a pattern i would love to do it right.

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2006 07:14:19 PM »

Lostinthesparks - I just pulled out my pattern so let's see if I can help.  I'm guessing that you're on step #42?  What you're thinking is correct.  Don't look at the photo - I think that it's decieving because what it is showing you is what it looks like when you're finished.  Put the top inside the skirt part of the dress so that the right sides of the top is facing the right side of the dress.  Match your seams together and pull up the basting stitches in the skirt so that it distributes the fullness (basically the skirt and the top are the same size!).  Even out the fullness so there aren't any puckers and sew.

Hope that helps!

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2006 07:33:28 AM »

Cheesy thanks yeah this help i think your right about the picture it doesn't help me at all thanks for the help i'll post a picture as soon as i get it done
~Erica B.~

D.I.Y with Style!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2006 09:26:21 PM »

I made this dress a few weeks ago.

You can read the rest of the details here: http://boundbymyhook.blogspot.com/2006/07/baby-i-swear-its-deja-vu.html

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Your Own Egg McMuffin
How to Make Candied Yams
How to Make Classic Baked Macaroni and Cheese
How to Make a Slow-Cooker Turkey Chili
How to Make Blackened Catfish and Creole Remoulade
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide: Kitty Coasters
@Home This Weekend: Rustic Wreath
November 25, 2015 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...