A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 302,542
Currently Running With Scissors:
631 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Framing a BIG map-- help, please?  (Read 1259 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

defunctbuffalo
« on: July 23, 2006 02:02:25 PM »

I just moved, to go to grad school, and I'm trying to pull my apartment out of the realm of student-hood into a place that looks like real people would live in it.  I've decided the key to real-people-apartment vs. student-apartment is not the type of art, but the fact that it's framed.  So I'm framing all my beloved maps and posters.

But I've reached a problem.  I have an awesome map that I want to put up, but it's BIG-  50" x 32".   I haven't found any poster frames that large, and my budget is, well, still student-sized, so I can't afford the custom route.  Any ideas for how to frame something this big?  My dream is just a nice, simple black frame, nothing too fancy, just something other than sticky tack.

All suggestions will be appreciated!  And for anyone who can figure out a way for me to actually frame this sucker without breaking my bank, my wall, or myself, I'll be really grateful. 

THANK YOU!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jellyfish8706

Let's make it.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2006 06:28:46 PM »

hobby lobby sells custom framing kits for a reasonable price.  I believe that there is a day when their framing is discounted, but i can't remember what day that is.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

myspace.com/kitschcouturebykelly
defunctbuffalo
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2006 06:40:03 PM »

I can't find any custom frame kits on Hobby Lobby's website.  I did find this when I was looking:

http://www.frameusa.com/uframe.htm

But I'm not sure how it works.  It looks like it comes with the frame itself, but no back or glass/plastic for the front.  Is this what Hobby Lobby sells?  If you know how it works, please let me know!

Thanks for replying.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ingysoup
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2006 07:55:54 PM »

You could spary glue the map to some inexpensive board ie 1/4" ply that's primed/gessoed to make it smoother, making sure the backing is larger than the map so as to accomodate the width of frame you want.  Then use 1' x whatever, say 4", thickness you want trim to make the frame and paint those black.  Miter the corners --many places will cut this for you.  ANd there are tons of just plain lengths of wood or trim/molding pieces in various designs/shapes.  You could use plexiglass, which comes in different thicknesses to front it.  Am I making myself clear?  Sorry, it's late...LOL  It would be like a sandwich of sorts:  ply, map,plexi, molding.  I will say that plexi is scratchable, but I it's still cheaper than glass.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
defunctbuffalo
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2006 08:13:17 PM »

That's an interesting idea!  So I would spray glue it to a sheet of plywood?  Or maybe foam board?  I worry that it will be impossible to get to lie smooth...  has anyone tried this?  Does it wrinkle and bubble?

But that may be the best plan, if it's not beyond my technical skills.  Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2006 08:24:19 PM »

By framing... do you have to have glass over the front?

I was thinking instead of any old frame, attach the map directly to the wall & build a frame around it on the wall Wink

ORrRrr...make it more art than just the map itself & paint a really awesome intricate frame around the edge once it's attached to the wall.  I think it would be a wonderful focal point of a room.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster has gone mobile!!  Read the news here.
ingysoup
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2006 11:15:52 PM »

That's an interesting idea!  So I would spray glue it to a sheet of plywood?  Or maybe foam board?  I worry that it will be impossible to get to lie smooth...  has anyone tried this?  Does it wrinkle and bubble?

But that may be the best plan, if it's not beyond my technical skills.  Thanks!

Interesting you should ask about the foam core:  I just tried this with a print that had been very "rolled up" for some time.  Initially, it started to come unglued...but I have since set it up to "unroll" before re-glueing.  But I have done this before with good results, and it's great for cheap things.  I was just thinking that your map was of a nicer quality.

But, in your case, if you want to be able to move it, there is actually something thinner than 1/4" ply, but I cannot think of the name right now.  Go to Home Depot or such and you will see it.  It's very grainey, but cheap.  That is why I was suggesting that you prime it to make it smoother.  And of course instead of the plexi, there is Mylar(?) or you could just coat it with Modge Podge - matte or glossy-to your liking without having to cover it w/ plexi/glass or Mylar.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jenefor
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2006 11:27:41 PM »

Is this someting that you want for years to come? I was going to suggest (but it was already done) about the mounting to the board and building your own frame around it with moldings and use plexy glass)
or you could mount to a thin piece of plywood (i have done this around my house) and then you just use a poly sealer over it...it doesn't have a real "polished" frame look...more like artsy kinda look.
or you could have it laminated at a kinkos or that (not sure on the prices) and have them mount it to foam core and hang that on the wall...it looks nice (we used to do this alot when i worked for a cosmetic company and we needed BIG posters mounted nicely)
I know I'm either going to do the decopage again or the laminating  for my sons room and his Disneyland maps.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TheBon

We are without leeches or wenches.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2006 11:45:44 PM »

I think the thin wood product that the poster above was referring to was Masonite, frequently used in theatrical sets. That crap splinters like heck when you cut it.

I do not recommend spray glueing your map to anything if you'd like to keep it for any length of time. When I was an architecture student, I mounted a LOT of presentations on foam core. Getting them smooth is a painstaking process, for best results at home it involves white gloves and squeegees. The best way to get things glued to foam core is to take it to someone who does it professionally, it involves heat and a giant press, I believe. HOWEVER, eventually [within a year depending on the climate you're in] the paper will find a way to bubble and wrinkle. If you want to keep this map for decades, don't glue it to anything.

I recommend buying frame pieces, and a sheet of plexiglass. You can get good quality, uv protective, anti-glare plexi for not much money. I also recommend plexi instead of glass anyway, given the size of your map. What is the map of? If you don't mind altering it, you might think about dividing it into pieces [I'd probably go with three] framing each individually and hanging them as a set. Classy, and interesting.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

graphic designer, illustrator, all around nerd.

my wists!
I take pictures everywhere!
glasskatana
tamara, a glass katana

i like bright and shiny things.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2006 11:54:03 PM »

you could cut it into more manageable pieces. And then frame them in purchased frames, as a "series" of art/map. like, this artwork:

<a href="http://artyaya.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=118_121">Art Yaya Oil Paintings Gallery.</a>
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Fish die belly upward, and rise to the surface. Its their way of falling."

Andre Gide
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Final Cut Pro 6: C.O.P.S Face Blur Effect
Final Cut Pro 6: Using an Asymmetrical Edit
Final Cut Studio: Sync Menu Explained
Final Cut Express: Playing with Speed
Final Cut Express: Making a Cheap Giant with Masks
Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...