A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 299,166
Currently Running With Scissors:
633 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Reccommend me a sewing machine!  (Read 3266 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Lizzie
« on: July 22, 2006 08:42:17 PM »

My mom (who is strictly a handsewer, not a machine-sewer) bought me a Singer 1120 at Walmart because she thought it looked like a good machine and a Walmart monkey said it was a good one. Well, that employee must've been trying to push a sale because this thing is a piece of crap. The manual isn't helpful at all. My friends can't figure out what's wrong with it. Neither can my grandma, or my mom's (professional) sewing guru friend (who also said this was a bad machine). We've tried everything there is to try. I'm chalking it up to it being a crappy machine, seeing as how a bunch of online reviews (even ones here) have said it's a horrible machine.  Angry

Whew, now that my anger is out let's get on with it. I'm selling that (giving it away if it comes to that) machine to the first bidder and I'm hoping someone here can help me figure out whatever machine to get. I'd like a machine that's good for a beginner, with a good manual, that can handle light-to-moderately heavy fabrics. I don't need it to be able to embroider, I don't do quilting, etc. I generally sew cloth bags, stuffed plushies, etc. I don't need fancy, decorative stitches; just ones that'll hold fabric together.

I'd like a machine anywhere from the $0 to $200 range, as long as it fits the above criteria.

Thank you in advance! Save my poor, blistered hands from handsewing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I know a mouse, and he hasn't got a house. I don't know why. I call him Gerald. He's getting rather old, but he's a good mouse."
ofuzzball
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2006 10:18:54 PM »

http://www.sewvacdirect.com/janome405.html

I surfed around and found this  Shocked  For the money I would say this is great!!!

Walmart monkey   Grin Cheesy  I love that sentence.

I have a Pfaff and also a small Janome for workshops.  I love my little Janome.  It sews beautifully and has a good feel,
sort of like closing a car door on a Benz vs. a hoopty.  Roll Eyes
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Finished is better than perfect.
TogetherWeCan
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2006 03:39:21 PM »

I would reccomend The Brother LS-2125 which i have and for me seems to work great! I generally do bags and the kinds of projects you said you'd be doing. it sells for around 80 dollars at Walmart
THIS ROCKS   Logged
marmalade bombs

professional heartbreakers

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2006 06:52:51 AM »

i do not reccommend the brother. sorry.

i wholeheartedly reccommend the janome, however!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LONG LIVE NANNY B.!

i heart myspace!
http://www.myspace.com/fizz_fizz_bang

i sew, make collages, make mix cds, make home improvements, latch hook, make jewelry, paint, and am in school for interior design. i wanna learn how to knit!
wfbears
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2006 06:56:35 AM »

If your budget is tight, I recommend a Brother. They have improved greatly over the years.  In fact, they make the "inside parts" of most other brands of machines (not Singer).

I use a $80 Wally World Brother Machine that I got for sewing all of my mohair (since I do so much I didn't want an expensive machine in case it gets all full of fur and gives out quicker than if I was sewing fabric), and I figured it would suck, but it's fabulous! (knock on wood).

Janomes are fantastic as well, but more expensive. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Come See More Bears Here!www.whiteforestbears.com
marmalade bombs

professional heartbreakers

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2006 12:32:45 PM »

janomes are more expensive, but you can pick one up for cheap (relatively speaking) at a sewing machine repair shop. they usually have used or refurbished machines for sale. remember: old machines are not bad...they are sometimes better!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LONG LIVE NANNY B.!

i heart myspace!
http://www.myspace.com/fizz_fizz_bang

i sew, make collages, make mix cds, make home improvements, latch hook, make jewelry, paint, and am in school for interior design. i wanna learn how to knit!
manika
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2006 11:30:18 AM »

i bought my first machine 2 years ago as a beginner machine sewer and i still love it!  i ended up buying the janome 4623LE from www.allbrands.com which is still the same price 2 years later at $309.  there are models available at lower prices (there's one that's $99 and a few that are $150-$199 - free shipping!) which i'm sure are just as good, but w/out as many bells and whistles (which sometimes end up being more things to break).  i've heard a lot of good things about janome machines, so i'm confident i made a good choice.  make sure to look at what feet are included (zipper foot, blind hem foot, and button hole foot are important to me).  my machine came w/ 23 different stitches and i only use a few (just the normal straight stitch and the blind hem mainly).  oh, and i love the drop-in bobbin.  you load up your bobbin w/ thread and basically pop in the machine - that easy.  hope this helps!  good luck with your search!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
charity
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2006 10:57:12 AM »

I second the Janomes.  My sister got one for just under $200 and she says it's great.  I don't know what model though. 

I like my Brother machine but it cost more and has lots of fancy doo-dads.  That really isn't what you're looking for. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SewLong
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2006 11:01:51 AM »

After I did battle with a crappy Singer (there's a venerable brand that got driven into the ground), I got very lucky at a sewing machine store where the owner sold me his mother's old Bernina 910.  Only driven to church on Sundays, dontcha you know.  It is just lovely -- very solid, does a few fancy stitches, takes lots of different presser feet, not fussy at all.  So if you can find a used machine in good condition, I would highly recommend it. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
diannab
founder member of the ZaftigMomma appreciation Society : )

Away..... stalking..... will return shortly......

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2006 04:55:36 PM »

Lizzie, I am sorry to hear about your problems with your singer :*( I have a 7462 or something like that... it was 199 or 299... I can't member Cheesy but if you take the machine to your local Singer sewing center (if you have one if not go to www.singer.com and go to customer service) Singer has some of the best customer service in the biz. And they will make it right. They will either fix it or replace it. As for buying a machine at walmart I refuse to do so! They don't know anything about crap! Also- I want buy fabric there anymore either... I purchase fabric that was 8 USD/yard and assumed the lady who was cutting it would look at the fabric for any probs (as the former employee used to do). Low and behold I get home and unpin my fabric (you had to unpin it to see the flaws) and there was mold/mildew spore growth all over it! You know she had to see that! And NO it didnt blend in! I believe thats why it was pinned in the odd way that it was! Stick with shops that know what they are doing! Not the evil empire!

Okay... sorry for ranting... but do contact Singer they will make it right!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I may be out of touch for a few days.my cable company merges we are experiencing lots growing pains!!! Email: diannabishop@yahoo.com
Would you like a Child/baby clothing & gift board?
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
What Is a Skort?
How to Dress in 90s Vintage Style
Famous Faces Take Front Row at New York Fashion Week!
Olivia Palermo Wants This Trend to Go Away!
Tadashi Shoji NYFW Fall 2014 - Interviews & Runway
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing
@Home This Weekend: Embellished Guest Towels

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...