A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 306,101
Currently Running With Scissors:
372 Guests and 2 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Cork Stamps - Portraits and mini tutorial  (Read 5342 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial , wine_cork , cork  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

warmfuzzies
« on: July 22, 2006 08:14:40 AM »

Hi all, I thought I'd share a little project that I have been working on.  It's nothing terribly brilliant or new...stamps made from wine corks.  Here's the finished product.

So all you need is a clean, dry wine cork (the smoother the top of the cork, the better), a pencil, pen, an x-acto knife, an ink pad, and a free afternoon.

Make some basic sketches on a scrap piece of paper for practice, and then use the pen to draw your image on the wine cork.  (Remember that the stamped image will be a mirror image of what you draw).

Use the x-acto knife to carve from the outside in.  So you would start with the outside area of the portrait, and then move into the facial features.  Try to make your cuts about 1-2 mm deep, as in the picture. 

***Suggestion from Fudgegirl: "why not start by cutting the detailed bits first?! then, if like me, you bugger it up at that point (coz i find detailed bits really tricky) you won't have wasted your time cutting the outside edge of the shape." 

If you've never carved a stamp before, I'd suggest you start with the outline, just to gain some practice.  Otherwise, carve away at the details!  Whatever works best for you. =p

When you carve the facial features/hair, it's easier to just pick at the cork with the tip of the knife.  That's all there is to the carving part!

Now you can use the ink pad and stamp to your heart's content.  If you want to make a label for the stamp, then just stamp on some adhesive backed paper, line up the stamped image with the carved image, and stick the adhesive paper onto the cork.  Voila.

I've been using the stamps to stamp over the back of envelopes (you know, where it seals).  I draw a little speech bubble from the stamp, and write a little something before I mail letters out to friends.  That's just an idea.  I'm sure you all have tons of other things to do with stamps of yourselves/your friends/your family.  If you have other ideas, I'd love to hear them.

There's a more detailed tutorial on my blog, http://warmfuzzies.typepad.com/warmfuzzies/2006/07/cork_stamp_port.html, if you're interested, but I think I covered all the bases here.

Anyway, hope that was helpful.  Enjoy!
« Last Edit: July 29, 2006 08:05:18 AM by warmfuzzies » THIS ROCKS   Logged

public_lemons
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2006 09:02:57 AM »

Hey thats a great idea, I dont drink wine so I dont really have wine corks, but I wouldn't mind trying this one out. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ezri_B
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2006 09:26:36 AM »

I've been trying to make stamps out of clay and I haven't been terribly happy with them, I also don't drink wine, but I'll have to get some corks, because this would work so much better! Thanks for posting this!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

retro-redux

spending way too much time on craftster since 2006

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2006 09:57:49 AM »

I saw tons of corks at a thrift shop for 5 cents a piece-I'll have to go back and get a few:)
Have you ever tried cutting a bigger design on the side of the cork?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

come be my craftster friend on my blog: http://www.myspace.com/retroredux

I succumbed to the Wist Darkside-here ya go:
http://www.wists.com/retro-redux

Break the chain: Spay or Neuter your pets
warmfuzzies
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2006 06:37:39 PM »

I have tried cutting a bigger design on the side of the cork, and it works great.  What I recommend doing is first prepping the cork by cutting it in half lengthwise (so you have two half-circles).  Then, cut about 4 mm in from the round side so you have a flat surface (so the cork looks like a funky trapezoid).  Then, position the cork so that the larger base of the "trapezoid" is facing up, and you can go ahead and carve the desired image out of it.  When you're finished, you can stick a push pin onto the shorter base of the trapezoid for a handle for the stamp.  The only problem that you might encounter with doing this is that there are sometimes holes in the middle of the cork...but you'd be able to see this after you make the first cut.

I've also thought about carving all around the cork and making a stamp that you can roll (like a paint roller).  Hehe, if anyone tries that, let me know how it goes!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I-palindrome-I
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2006 07:18:11 AM »

I like these, they'd be good if you wanted to seal an envelope with a stamp,with say,your initial or a picture of yourself or something. It saves buying the expensive ones in craft shops Smiley ...(I say expensive,they're only a few quid each, but I have no money Tongue).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Why can't I fly? It's just not fair!!!
Darlene_W
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2006 12:11:21 PM »

Sometimes I just stick a metal button in the end of a cork to make a faux wax seal. You just then use ink and Utee and while it's hot press your "seal" into it. I haven't tried the carving thing yet though! Great idea.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

monster
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2006 06:47:15 AM »

i haven't done these myself, but i've also seen them, where patterns were cut out of the long side of the cork.  that way you can roll it over the paper to create borders and things. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
myloveasdeep
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2006 08:02:43 AM »

That's an awesome idea! I think I'll try something simple first like a rabbit outline. I drink, um, lots of wine! =)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://pinterest.com/myloveasdeep/

Her dirty paws and furry coat,
She ran down the forest slope.
The forest of talking trees,
They used to sing about the birds and the bees.
The bees had declared a war,
The sky wasn't big enough for them all.
ChrissyCrafts
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2006 06:11:10 AM »

Now i know how to recycle all the corks i have laying around now! They would be great to mini stamp on some stationary.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Mixed Media Fun
July 27, 2016 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Making Pom Poms

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...