A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,070
Currently Running With Scissors:
783 Guests and 32 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: creative things you can do with tortillas...  (Read 2838 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Gishygoo
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2006 03:16:05 PM »

I forgot an absolute delicious one that ladies at my church make!!!

Take a tortilla and spread cream cheese all over it.  Roll it up, cut it into slices, and then dip it in butter (oooo!).  Then, coat it with cinnamon and sugar and bake in the oven until the cinnamon and sugar get a little melty.  Let them cool off and you won't be able to keep your hands off of those suckers!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check me out: www.gishygoo.blogsp ot.com
Everything is so wistical! www.wists.com/gishygoo
vixen_mae
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2006 08:09:31 PM »

Not very exciting, but some of my favorite tortilla uses...

I really like to spread PB on a tortilla, heat it in the microwave, sprinkle some Grapenuts on it, and then roll it up.  Honey is also a nice addition.  I also have always liked cream chesse and orange marmalade (or any jelly or jam) rolled up in one.

My husband and I really like to eat scrambled eggs, refried beans and cheese as a meal with tortillas as a side/bread. (The meal is in honor of his Latin American roots  Smiley

THIS ROCKS   Logged
dalilah
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2006 05:48:42 PM »

These are such good ideas!!

My friend's husband works for the company that makes Mission tortillas and brought us 2 cases of the corn kinds, the bigger wraps, the gorditas...everythi ng!

I've been wracking my brain for ways to use them all and keep things interesting. I'm definitely going to have to try some of these recipes!

I think I'll make a batch of the cinnamon sugar ones to munch while I knit tonight!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
McJulie-O
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2006 06:24:50 PM »

I've been wracking my brain for ways to use them all and keep things interesting. I'm definitely going to have to try some of these recipes!

Think they are freezable?? I wouldn't be surprised if they were!

In case you ever make tortilla soup, you might want to take some of those corn tortillas, slice them into strips about 1/4- 1/2 inch wide and quick-fry them until crisp in HOT oil, and serve sprinkled on the top or on the side as a garnish.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
shewolf
I call her Vera.

The hero of Canton

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2006 10:41:01 PM »

Think they are freezable?? I wouldn't be surprised if they were!

In case you ever make tortilla soup, you might want to take some of those corn tortillas, slice them into strips about 1/4- 1/2 inch wide and quick-fry them until crisp in HOT oil, and serve sprinkled on the top or on the side as a garnish.

Very freezable! I buy a ton of the flour (don't like corn) and use 'em for quesadillas (shredded chicken breast and taco sauce and cheese) or for when I run out of bread...

Take a tortilla, put chocolate (or butterscotch, or peanut butter or whatever) chips on it, cook in the oven @ 305f until a bit melty, roll up and add a dusting of sugar. cook a bit more until a bit more brown. I then slice it for easy eating.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

(\__/) This is Fat Bunny.
( o.o ) It has taken over, and eaten the unbelievers.
( > < ) Copy Bunny into your signature or be EATEN!

www.rattleheadgames .com - for all your gaming needs!

http://www.wists.com/shewolf I wish, I wish, with all my heart.... Smiley
imthemonkeyqueen
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2006 10:49:18 PM »

When I was in high school they used to sell "pizza burritos" in the cafeteria. They are pretty much like McJulie-O said, just rolled up. Those were the best thing they sold. Even now when I see someone from high school we all gush about the pizza burritos. Yum.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

It's like making music with your mouth!
mishl982
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2006 07:15:07 AM »

Ooh I am glad I found this thread! Last night I was thinking about how else I could use my tortillas. I always end up buying them for one thing, then try and figure out what to do with the rest.

I use whole wheat. Do you think all these ideas will still taste okay?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

AllygatorintheElevator
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2006 04:37:09 PM »

i love tortillas. one of my favorite things to do is take a tomato and basil flavored tortilla, sometimes they have sundried tomatoes in them but not always, and put butter or olive oil on it, then sprinkle with garlic salt and parmesan cheese. (i prefer shredded, but the parmesan in the shaker would probably work just as well) then i stick it in the toaster oven until the cheese is all bubly. it tastes a little bit like pizza because of the tomato and basil. sometimes i'll cut up some slices of deli ham and add that, or whatever i have in the fridge.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jpatti
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2006 08:12:40 PM »

I'm diabetic and can't eat bread, so I use low-carb tortillas as wraps for every type of sandwich there is.  So I love all these ideas!

I also do breakfast burritos relatively often, keeping some normal non low-carb tortillas handy for my husband.  I fry some diced onion or red bell pepper in either chopped bacon or crumbly sausage, drain and add in some scrambled eggs, then wrap with shredded cheese and nuke.  I sometimes do up a whole batch of these, using a full pound of meat and about 10-12 eggs and freeze them for quick breakfasts during the week. 

I like doing pizza by placing a tortilla in a cast-iron skillet and topping with a very thin layer of sauce, then lots of mozzarella, pepperoni and whatever else, and baking until the cheese melts.  These come out like thin crust pizza, very crunchy, as long as the layer of sauce is thin enough. 

I also do a grilled cheese/quesadilla thing often.  I lay a tortilla in a cast-iron skillet, cover half with shredded or sliced mild cheddar or colby/jack, layer a couple slices of tomato, then another layer of cheese, then fold over.  Fry on medium heat for a few minutes, then flip and fry the other side.  Slice into quarters when done.

I like wrapping a chunk of cream cheese in them for quick sandwiches too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jennique
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2006 08:21:21 PM »

Its late and I didnt feel like reading the whole thread to see if someone posted this, so apologies if they have. My boyfriends mom made this tortilla dinner like a month or so ago. She took this, grill/frying plate thing they own and put some butter on it, then put the tortillas on. She loaded half of them with cheese and the other she didn't put anything on. When the cheese was all melted and the tortillas were crispy we put what we wanted on them, then took the uncheesed tortialls and put them ontop to make sandwhiches. They were so good! I am not good at cooking and I don't do it, so I have no idea if this has a name or just something she felt like doing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~~jenny
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Nail Art Trend Is Over
Top Picks for Eye Shadow Primer
C&C Try: Apple Cider Vinegar Treatments
How to Get Christmas Tree Nails
Self Magazine’s Perfect Stocking Stuffers
Latest Blog Articles
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects
Spotlight On: Amigurumi

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...