A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 303,095
Currently Running With Scissors:
454 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: creative things you can do with tortillas...  (Read 3768 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists

Push the button Frank.

View Profile WWW
« on: July 21, 2006 06:03:24 AM »

anyone else have any tortilla recipes? I use them all the time, for things other than the obvious (and also delicious) mexican varieties. here are some of my faves:

Italian style: brush with olive oil, add fresh spinach, basil, garlic, mozzerella and parmesean cheese, and pine nuts. bake in the toaster oven. yum!
Giant Pierogie: stuff with mashed potatoes, onions and cheese, fold in half and fry in a little olive oil
s'mores style: drizzle with honey, cinnamon, chocolate chips, mini marshmallows, bake in the toaster oven til melty.

Miss Violaceous

Condones Flashing

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2006 06:13:45 AM »

I discovered by accident how to make a really disgustingly bad for you treat out of leftover tortillas.

Take two tortillas, and butter them on both sides. Slap one down in a skillet and sprinkle a GENEROUS amount of cinnamon and sugar on the upward side of it, then fry it over medium-high heat (I think? It's been a long time since I did this) with a cover on. When the bottom gets browned and the tortilla starts to puff, put the other tortilla on top and flip the whole thing, cover and repeat until it's puffy and brown on both sides. Slice it into wedges to serve. Watch that you don't burn yourself on the cinnamon sugar filling, which should be starting to melt by that time.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2006 07:29:47 AM »

This is really boring...

My grandmother always made homemade flour tortillas with every meal when I was growing up.  At the end of the meal, we'd all take one last warm tortilla and eat it with jam or jelly.  It's really good. 

Also, bacon burritos were my favorite when I was young (and a meat eater).  They're still good with the veggie strips from Morningstar Farms.  Just heat up a flour tortilla and put crispy bacon inside and roll it up.  (Also good with sliced hot dogs.)

My family uses tortillas for everying -- crafty Mexicans.  Smiley  We use them like spoons or shovels, instead of forks.  Eggs, potatoes, meat, beans, grilled veggies, etc -- it all gets scooped up and eaten with a tortilla.  Mmmm. 

The best way to heat up a tortilla is on the stove, either directly on the gas burner (low heat) or in a pan. 

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2006 03:46:19 PM »

One day I was out of bread and made a pb&j with tortillas.  They are pretty good but somewhat messy sometimes.  Not the most creative.  I'm sure you could make any type of sandwich and maybe even roll them up and slice them for appetizers.  (pinwheels, I think they are called) 
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2006 03:26:50 PM »

hope theese help!  Grin

you keep your stability, i'll keep my heart

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2006 10:25:22 AM »

when my sis used to live here she would make us  buuelos
made from tortillas, they were pretty good. so yeah if you want to make them, take some flour tortillas and cut them into wedges, deep fry them until golden brown and crispy and then sprinkle them with a mix of equal parts of sugar and cinammon

I'll try it once

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2006 11:09:41 AM »

I was just talking about this on another thread.  My Brother in law, uses them for dumplings in his chicken and dumplings.. now to check out that link and find that this same imfo is on it, prollyl.. Smiley

You don't have to get it right the first time, just the last time.
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2006 12:29:20 PM »

I was just talking about this on another thread.  My Brother in law, uses them for dumplings in his chicken and dumplings.. now to check out that link and find that this same imfo is on it, prollyl.. Smiley

I'm a fluffy dumpling purist so tortillas don't work for that, BUT they imitate flat dumplings quite well when I'm outnumbered by others in the family. Corn tortillas do very well in tortilla soup as well.

We use flour tortillas for thin crust pizzas all the time. Spread pizza sauce then cheese then pepperoni or what-have-you and bake until the cheese melts.....so fast, and a crowd can choose their own toppings for individual pizzas at a party.

Then, we also used to make what we called "*Baseball Burritos".....flour tortilla wrapped around a hotdog weinie with Velveeta cheese melted in the microwave...very popular for the kids.  * from the old ad campaign for All American stuff  ..."Baseball, Hotdogs, Apple Pie, and Chevrolet" most of you are too young to remember.
keeper of the castle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2006 02:48:15 PM »

My mom used to do this when I was little to keep us out of her hair when she was making dinner.
She would take butter melt it in a pan and then fry the tortilla in it until it was all bubbly and crispy.
Then she would hand them to us.
To this day I still love to have them that way.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "WOW!! -- What a Ride! -- Anonymous
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2006 03:10:19 PM »

Try these options:

• Wrap a tortilla around slices of apples and cheese, heated briefly in the microwave.
  • Combine a mixture of cream cheese (flavored or plain) and one or more of the following chopped tiny: bacon, spinach, shredded cheese, raisins, sun dried tomatoes, roasted red peppers, walnuts or almonds, smoked salmon, olives (green or black), nutella, chocolate chips, honey etc.  Spread your ingredients of choice on the surface of a tortilla and wrap it up tightly to form a pinwheel. (Delicious example: cream cheese, honey, and walnuts.)
  • Mix sliced bananas and melted chocolate (or nutella, a delicious hazelnut and chocolate spread) and make a crepe!
  • Try adding some seldom thought of fruits and veggies to a wrap, like avocado, steamed asparagus, pears, mango, etc.
  • Stack em' in a casserole like noodles.  Tortillas turn surprisingly soft and noodle-like with a great flavor in casseroles that have a lot of moisture.
  • Brush them with oil and stuff them in muffin pan cups to make little "tortilla cups." Cook these until the edges are brown and the cups are crispy.  Then fill the cups with things that you like, fruit, yogurt, pudding, chicken salad, mini garden salad, etc.
  • Make different kinds of quesadillas: Greek (feta cheese, olives, tomatoes, spinach, etc.), Italian (parmesian, mozzerrella, tomato sauce/paste, garlic cloves, pepperoni, oregano), Indian (spinach, a hint of cumin for spiciness, curry, tofu, chutney, jasmine rice, and unflavored yogurt to dip it in), Chinese (chicken or pork, teriyaki sauce, cabbage, fried rice leftovers--you could roll this one up like an eggroll and fry it a little, too)
  • Brush them with oil, ranch dressing, italian dressing, barbeque sauce or your favorite marinade and make your own homemade chips!
  • Use your imagination, and the possibilities are ENDLESS!

Check me out: www.gishygoo.blogspot.com
Everything is so wistical! www.wists.com/gishygoo
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Do a Milkmaid Plait
How to Do a Waterfall Plait
How to Do a Reverse French Plait
How to Thicken Thin Hair | Thinning Hair and Baldness
How to Treat Scars from Old Hair Transplants
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Clever Containers for Cuttings
September 30, 2015 Featured Projects
Spotlight on: Spiral Veggies Recipes

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...