A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 304,765
Currently Running With Scissors:
734 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: What's wrong with Cincinnati?  (Read 6056 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

nghna7t
« on: July 20, 2006 06:38:30 PM »

I've searched the board and not found one mention (other than the Caffine show) about craft shows in Cincy.  Am I missing something or are there no good craft shows here? Huh

Are there any consignment stores that do crafts?

Thank you!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I may grow old, but I will never grow up!
Ayn
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2006 05:52:19 AM »

Hi there -- some yrs ago hub lived in Cincinnati & I got to visit him quite a lot (I was working in aanother state). We never happened to hear of or to chance upon any crafts fairs in Cincinnati itself. Really knowing the area only a bit, certainly not as anything ike a native, I can't say for-sure why there might be something of a dearth of crafts fairs in the city. But... might possibly be because there were so many of em elsewhere in Ohio. We'd also lived on&off for awhile in Indianapolis & oddly enough it was kinda the same situation there -- also, come to think about it, near Louisville. Someone once suggested that maybe crafts fairs were considerably more common on the east coast because it was generally more 'citified' (lol!) overall -- i.e., a great many people didn't have time or inclination or knowledge to craft things any more themselves so they were happy to buy unusual or fun items from others who did. Did you also try a general websearch for Cincinnati or Ohio craft show or craft fair? As for consignment shops, you might want to check the phone book, or maybe call a Chamber of Commerce?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
nghna7t
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2006 04:50:16 PM »

I've found a few small shows, like school christmas fairs, but from what I've seen they are a lot of grandma crafts and people don't spend a lot of money there.  I wasn't sure if there were some Cincy craftsters on here that might have thoughts about specific shows.

Thanks though, it's nice to know it's not just Cincy!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bethy85
project wonderland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2006 07:32:00 PM »

hmm...I have family in cincy. Lots of family. I'm out atleast a few times a year. My sister-in-laws aunt just did a show out there. I'm guess it was a good show, she went there form pittsburgh. She didn't sell much coz it rained the whole weekend. I can get the name if you'd like. I'm surprised by this actually. I thought cincy would be pretty good for craft shows, I know they have a good local music scene.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LadyBeBop
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2006 01:45:09 PM »

Nah, Cincinnati isn't that great for crafts.   Angry  (I've lived in the Cincinnati area most of my life...I should know).

Let's see, there's Summerfair in June...but that's more of an art show.

As for consignment shops...I can't think of any off hand. 

For years, I've been thinking about setting a booth up for the World's Longest Yard Sale to sell some of my crafts (starts in Covington), but I'm not sure that would be a good idea.  However, I am setting a booth up at the Yard Sale this year...to get rid of some of the household junk (too lazy for my own yard sale).

THIS ROCKS   Logged
gaffagirl1

Summer's kiss is over, baby

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2006 07:48:51 AM »

No, there aren't any good craft shows in Cincinnati.

Rachel Bosh-Guerra from Fetopia and I have been trying to set up a craft show in Cincinnati for a long time. The problem  is that neither one of us have a ton of time. Rachel runs Fetopia, Cincinnati Craft Mafia, and several other websites and is a mom, plus she's a rollergirl.  I have a full time job, and we both run Plum of the Month.

Finding a good location has been impossible, and even if there was a good place to host a show, I worry about people coming and actually spending money. Cincinnati seems to be very label oriented. People here don't care if something is one of a kind or handmade. In fact, people in Cincinnati just want to have what everyone else has. Even stores like A Show of Hands have gone out of business.

You could join the Cincinnati Craft Mafia www.cincinnaticraftmafia.com

We get a lot of traffic on the website. At some point we are going to start buying advertising as a group, so the cost for the individual will be very affordable.  There are shows nearby too, like Craftin' Outlaws in Columbus. I went last year, which was the first year, and it was pretty good.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Curse softly to me, baby, and smother me in your love. Temptation comes not from hell but from above.
nghna7t
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2006 03:23:56 PM »

I sent an email to the site about joining and never heard back, I'd love to talk to someone about it though.  Maybe I sent it to the wrong email, or it might not have gone through, I've been having email problems lately.

Thanks though!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

gaffagirl1

Summer's kiss is over, baby

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2006 08:37:35 PM »

I found out that the Cincinnati Craft Mafia administrators have just been super busy the past few weeks. You should be hearing back from them soon.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Curse softly to me, baby, and smother me in your love. Temptation comes not from hell but from above.
nghna7t
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2006 12:29:20 PM »

Great!  Thanks for letting me know!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

karalee

our hearts pump dust

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2006 12:34:56 PM »

I live in Cincinnati if you guys need any questions?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

She says brief things her love's a pony
My love's subliminal
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to change the Background Image When Rendering - 3ds Max
How to Make a Simple Box Scene - 3ds Max
How to Import files into your Scene - 3ds Max
Basic Camtasia Studio Tutorial
Basic Adobe After Effects CS4 Tutorial
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup
@Home This Weekend: Create a Spooky Yard
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: Featured Artist Katrina Polacek

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...