A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 297,493
Currently Running With Scissors:
455 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Bedroom blues, moving on sunday  (Read 675 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

flying_babyb
Monkey Queen

Monkey QUEEN

View Profile
« on: July 20, 2006 04:30:14 PM »

Ok Im moving and I wanna redo my room. Its got two sections. The first is a large square. There is also a small section off of it thats 36 by 88 where my bed will go. Im trying to create a room with very few nails and a design I love. I was thinking of putting up brodway pictures in the hole my bed ill be in.  I also need adivce on nice frames. ALSO WHAT DOES ONE DO FOR A NIGHT STAND  when they only have 6 inches of space to spare? Any other advice? Im going for a asian theme. I need lots of stoage space. I also have 3 windows which im thinking of buying bamboo blinds for.
Check out the folders things I have and things I like. http://photos.yahoo.com/flying_babyb

I have the fallowing:
two bamboo tables
a rocking chair
two bookcases
a floor box
a tv stand
two folding chairs
a dresser
two trunks
shelves
two lamps (matching)
a floor lamp (working)
shelves.
a rug

« Last Edit: July 20, 2006 05:07:25 PM by flying_babyb » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Monkey girl
Ayn
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2006 06:59:29 AM »

Hi there -- about the nightstand... first, consider, do you really honestly 'need' anything like a nightstand?
Having lived many many different places, often in situations where we didn't actually get to choose the place ourselves, hub & I learned to question 'a lot' about traditional notions of home decorating..... i.e., if you don't absolutely need something or some room or some sort of space -- or if you don't normally use it anyway even if it's there -- why bother with it.

That said --

We tend to read in bed very often, so we felt we did need at the very least some good reading-type light & kinda did need somewhere to put the books (well okay there's always under the bed, but aww sooo tacky, lol).
So, just in case, we always moved around with a couple of smallish but nicely made, goodlooking "wall mounted" reading lights (the kind with both head & arm that can be moved/re-positioned, you know).

Then we'd either find/buy or make two small shelves just large enough to hold a book or two.
For example, often you can find fairly-inexpensive but pretty shelf-like things (in wood or faux-wood or even glass) that are actually meant to hold only one or mayyybe two small decorative knickknacks. Certainly not big enough to hold an unabridged dictionary (!) but big enough say for a paperback novel.

One (or two or more, stacked) can fit in a small space next to the bed, with a wall-mounted reading lamp above that (placed so it's within easy reach when sitting up in bed).
Or you might be able to put a small shelf of just about any kind plus a wall lamp slightly 'over' one corner of the bed -- assuming no headboard of course --  but you would need to be careful about positioning so you don't bump head or arms on it while sleeping or getting out of bed.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2006 01:45:01 PM by Ayn » THIS ROCKS   Logged
flying_babyb
Monkey Queen

Monkey QUEEN

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2006 04:03:37 PM »

thanks for the idea. Yea i do need my nightstand, I keep my cd player there (for those nights i cant sleep) and my dream joural and my water bottle, cough drops, meds, novel (currently the rent book).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Monkey girl
purevitality
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2006 07:28:09 PM »

When I redid my room I wanted to mount as many pictures as possible in an interesting but cheap way that didn't involve a lot of nails... Which sounds very similar to you.  I found cheap PLACE MATS in a pattern that went with my room and simply attached the pictures to them.

A long time ago there was a post on here where people made a pattern with ribbon the wall and hung pictures from that... I wish I could find it.  But if you want more details I'll draw a picture.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

everybody here is out of sight
they dont bark and they dont bite
they keep things loose they keep it tight
everybodys dancing in the moonlight
xCurseofCurvesz
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2006 10:29:07 AM »

okay.. well the effect you seem to be going for is a sort of japanese-cultural theme but with some more modern touches..

a good and easy wall art idea? grab a bulletin board and staple some pieces of colored paper onto it (if you can't staple use thumbtacks. then cover it with pictures of friends, magazine pictures, whatever you want! then tack it to the wall. easy!

if good at woodcraft and building things, you could make a new headboard for your bed with sliding cabinets to store all of your stuff. or you could buy one somewhere. if that doesn't work, you could use a shelf (a floating one would be awesome!)

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ayn
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2006 12:00:53 PM »

ok flying_babyb about the nightstand again (hm can ya tell I'm kinda fixated on that particular situation for some reason?! Smiley )...

Depending on the height & general size of one of those bamboo  tables, or the floor box -- not sure I understand what that is -- or the tv stand, or even maybe one of the shelves (floor type?) or bookcases might be...
maybe consider trying one of those beside the bed?
Normally it doesn't matter a bit if one or two pieces of furniture in a room are "not" lined-up dead against a wall or otherwise perfectly aligned but instead set at an angle or set partially-sticking-out-into the room. In fact, it often adds visual interest as well as convenience.

If he pieces you already have just aren't right for bedside use -- say maybe too high or too big or unstable or whatever -- try flea markets/ 'junque' shops/ thrift shops/ unfinished furniture stores/ Ikea/ etc for something suitable but inexpensive that you could fix up to blend in with your decor.

Or think about making your own --
With the right pieces of wood & a few basic workshop hand tools it shouldn't be too hard to make a simple open-ish design nightstand-size box with a few shelves (oh say for one example: sides made sort of like a ladder with shelves that just slide through them)... and instead of bothering with making actual drawers, just use open-top baskets.

One other thing, though --- because your bed is in an alcove (? at least that's how it sounds), you might want to consider adding caster wheels to whatever bedside piece you choose, so that you can easily move it out of the way when you need to make the bed/change the linens.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2006 12:03:29 PM by Ayn » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Edit Your Wardrobe
Three Big Style Mistakes Women Make
Get Your Fashion Week Trends For Less
H&M Launching High End Line In London
Life-Changing Makeover Revealed
Latest Blog Articles
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!
Winner of Craft Challenge #102 - Swap & Share 3

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...