A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 296,744
Currently Running With Scissors:
437 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: christmas presents for a variety of people - financially challenged!  (Read 5423 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

crana
« on: August 09, 2004 12:47:22 PM »

anyone want to join me in brainstorming xmas presents for a whole bunch of family, friends, etc...? thinking of ones achievable by financially-challenged student.. Sad

some ideas i have... my sister will remain secret.. as i know she comes on here sometimes Wink

mum - she has this like box of cards for all occasions her friend gave her last year, and  I was thinking I could make some different handmade cards as a kind of "refill" for the box..i have got a book from the library with ideas on how to make some that are slightly more professional-looking than my normal attempts!

grandparents - really into antiques etc... i can't afford a real one!... so I am making them a replica victorian sampler - the top one here: http://www.scottishneedlework.co.uk/newshop/traditional_samplers.htm

the people I am mainly stumped for:

boyfriend's parents : have done a couple of cross stitch pictures etc in the past (last xmas i did a sort of family portrait with Jo Verso people adapted to look like the family.. which went down well Smiley ) so want something a bit different this year.. they are both on Atkins which makes edible gifts tricky (although last year for his dad's birthday we cooked them both an atkins-friendly meal!! hehe)... actually thinking about it... maybe a box of cards like for my mum would be nice...? it would probably be faster to make 2 of each card at a time (if you see what i mean?)

brother, age 13.. possibly a shoe box or clock or something covered in puictures of his favourite football team...? but stuck for what else

small presents for friends.. thinking maybe purses... notebooks/diaries..other ideas?

Anyway

please join me if you want in suggesting your own mental blocks, solving any of mine, or just adding any cool ideas you have anyway!

rosie xx
THIS ROCKS   Logged
crana
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2004 01:00:53 PM »

just adding.. I am lookng through this card book still.. and they have a really simple idea that is still quite nice I think..

sort of "pebbles" with a slot in them thick enough to hold a card, made out of clay (the kind you bake or air drying or whatever) decorated..

a christmassy set of these or to match a particular person's decor would be nice, i think Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
minkie
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2004 02:32:39 PM »

I did a similar box for my brother: I got one of those wooden treasure boxes at a craft supply store and put a lock on it, so he could stash stuff. I did a collage on the outside (modge podged it) and put cool quotes from his favorite bands inside the lid and painted the rest of the inside. It was kind of busy and wild which is appropriate for him. Needless to say, he loved it and thought it was very personal.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
crana
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2004 05:13:51 PM »

great idea - that would make it more permanent & presenty than a shoebox Wink

do you know how successful decoupaging bits of newspaper might or might not be..?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
noelle
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2004 05:29:09 PM »

i love to string together random cheap things in a neat way for presents..

for my mom's (amatuer fisherman) boyfriend one year i put some gummi worms in an old tin and had a hand drawn label saying "Dan's Bait".

and for a friend of mine i collected some things for a "princess kit".. like a toy frog & lipgloss (for kissing), a necklace and plastic mask i beaded, a few teeny solider toys (knights in shining armor). i also colored a little instruction booklet explaining exactly how to become "minor royalty, and a royal pain in the butt" with the enclosed items.

anything can be a cool present as long as the packaging ties it together!
« Last Edit: November 13, 2004 12:32:21 PM by noelle » THIS ROCKS   Logged
selkie

Duct tape and zipties will fix EVERYTHING!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2004 05:39:16 PM »

I created a holiday present file folder in my favorites so that when I'm browsing the internet I can stash ideas for the upcoming season!
A desktop mobile - http://www.yasutomo.com/project/minimobile.htm
cake in a coffee mug - http://www.budget101.com/recipes/id195.htm
feng shui paper weight - http://www.yasutomo.com/project/fengshui.htm
one year when I was little - I crocheted this in a rainbow variegated crochet cotton and stitched it onto plain white towels - http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Ranch/4054/mamedging.htm
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Power is strength and the ability to see yourself through your own eyes and not through the eyes of another. It is being able to place a circle of power at your own feet and not take power from someone else's circle.

Agnes Whistling Elk
crana
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2004 07:51:21 PM »

dudes, great ideas and links - thank you!! Smiley

im liking the handmade cards for boyfriend's mum (going off it slightly for mum though!).. feel free to suggest any funky card ideas ec... I thought I could also keep an eye on the cheapy shops where they occasiobally have really nice unusual cards cheap.. and mix them in...

one idea (pinched from mums box of cards) i thought was really nice was make a card bookmark and decorate it, and then in a folded piece of card you cut two diagonal slits at  top left and bottom right (or vice versa) of where the bookmark will go.,.. then you slot the bookmark into the card (does that make sense?)

you can decorate around the bookmark too.. but its really ncie because even after the occasion they can take out the bookmark and its something useful and pretty they can keep taht will remind them of you..

rosie
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ellseybell

It's a hard job being a beautiful assistant...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2004 12:05:09 AM »

If you decide to decoupage using newspaper, you might want to paint your surface white first. Newspaper is very thin, and can be see-through. Also, be careful of the ink smudging. It will work, you just have to careful.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Beauty fades, dumb is forever." -- Judge Judy
Milly
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2004 05:19:40 PM »

dudes, great ideas and links - thank you!! Smiley

ROSIE said "dudes" what is the world comign to!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i want to walk in the snow and not leave a footprint
NessaGurl
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2004 01:26:47 PM »

here are some cheap cool gifts to make

-wallet made of candy wrappers (always look cool)
-bags and purses can be made of this as well (check asian food stores for cool packaging)
-hand paint some christmas ornaments (check local craft stores...only $2-3 a piece)
-go to local thrift store and buy old cheap vintage clothing and make a purse or wallet out of it
-ikea sells frames for super cheap that you could paint
-knit a hat or scarf
-buy some cute sm plastic toys and attatch them to earing hooks (always a hit with friends)

Just some quick ideas

Hope it helps a bit
good luck

nessa
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my Etsy Shop...
http://thislittlebird.etsy.com 

My Wist
http://www.wists.com/ThisLittleBird

I would love to do a personal swap for Quality, well made felt or crochet play foods for my daughter... contact me if you are interested. Check out my shop to see what I could make for you
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Pour Acrylic Paint
JohnK Explains Cartoon Construction Pt. 2
JohnK Explains Cartoon Construction Pt. 1
Chocolate Painting with Spoon
Student’s ‘Rape Culture’ Artwork Banned from School Show
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...