A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,106
Currently Running With Scissors:
735 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Schooltime Craftiness  (Read 371 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Lizzie
« on: July 19, 2006 09:23:22 PM »

Hey all! School's coming around the corner and for my senior year I'd like to dress up my stuff and be crafty. I'm trying to brainstorm ideas while I still have a month left of free time. I'm not supermundocrafty like most of you ladies but I do my best, haha. Here are some ideas I had:

-Slipcovering cheap binders (cute, seemingly pretty easy, removable to wash, etc)
-Slipcovering my schoolbooks
-Pencil pouches
-A bag to haul all my stuff
-Painting my calculator

Other than that, I can't think of much. I think I could manage the pouches, slipcovers, and calculator, but I'm having a bit of a hard time thinking of how to do the bag. I handsew pretty decently, and I do have a sewing machine but for the life of me I can't get it to work (neither can my awesome sewing friend). Totebags would be easy, but I doubt they'd hold up with all the heavy books and binders I'd have to carry. Bags made out of a thicker material generally wouldn't be as cute (I'm addicted to flannel for little kids) and it'd be hard on my poor fingers. ;_; Any suggestions? Any ideas on what other useful-at-school crafts I could do? Thanks in advance!

Edit: I'd love a bag like this but I have no idea how to make one of those...
« Last Edit: July 19, 2006 09:46:17 PM by Lizzie » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I know a mouse, and he hasn't got a house. I don't know why. I call him Gerald. He's getting rather old, but he's a good mouse."
KungFuGirlfriend
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2006 03:58:25 AM »

I think a good idea might be to find a cool bag you like from a thrift store or maybe a canvas tote and decorate it.  It would be sturdy enough to hold all your books and there are endless possibilities to what you could do to it, like making felt patches or stenciling all kinds of things on it, or you could even sew extra pockets on to hold all of your school supplies.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lizzie
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2006 02:50:26 PM »

True, but I dunno.. Sometimes bags decorated like that end up looking kind of odd. I found this rad quilted vintage-esque material at Joann's and I think I might end up using that.. I'm getting a sewing machine soon that isn't a total jerk.. @_@
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I know a mouse, and he hasn't got a house. I don't know why. I call him Gerald. He's getting rather old, but he's a good mouse."
Strutter
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2006 03:05:02 PM »

Hope this helps.

Back To School Craftalong

School Supplies :/

School Supplies revamped
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lizzie
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2006 04:07:47 PM »

Thanks for the links!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Strutter
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2006 06:25:42 PM »

Thanks for the links!

If I see more good links I will add them. I know there are...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lizzie
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2006 07:28:37 PM »

I found a Simplicity pattern (4391) that has an open top bag with a strap, looks like it'd be great for my purposes. I'mma check that out today...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Crochet a Beanie Hat Part 9/26
How to Crochet a Beanie Hat Part 8/26
How to Crochet a Beanie Hat Part 7/26
How to Crochet a Beanie Hat Part 5/26
How to Crochet a Beanie Hat Part 6/26
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...