A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 298,761
Currently Running With Scissors:
441 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: vintage McCalls wrap dress *edit* FINAL DRESS!!!  (Read 14812 times)
Tags for this thread: dress  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

huongandmatthew
« on: July 19, 2006 09:00:30 PM »

I found this great pattern for a wrap dress on ebay. 

Then I made a mock up out of cheap fabric.

I found the perfect fabric at joanns for the real thing, but they only had three yards and I need five!  Tomorrow I'm going to another one to see if they have it.  I'm really excited to make this dress again!  It was very easy compared to the last vintage dress I made.  The top part was a bit time consuming.  I still need to adjust the pattern a bit by shortening the bodice and skirt.  I also need to make the chest/front bodice area smaller because I want a more fitted look for my flat chestyness.  I was thinking about taking in the sides and armholes (the sleeves are too loose as well) a few inches.  Any ideas???

3 yrs later.... I finally finished the dress!! hahaha its been many moves and years later but i've done it! well close,  it needs a snap here and there.  I just belted it and its perfect for me!

the bust was originally too big but when i tried it on i found that it pleats in a neat way.  It reminds me of those bottega veneta  sp? dresses i love
« Last Edit: February 14, 2008 08:16:19 AM by huongandmatthew » THIS ROCKS   Logged
stretchy_elastic_band
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2006 06:34:14 PM »

I don't have any ideas, other than the alteration you've already mentionned.  I think it'll look perfect!  It's a gorgeous pattern.  I'm sure you can rock it. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Tiger got to hunt, Bird got to fly.
Man got to sit and wonder why, why, why.
Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land.
Man got to tell himself he understands.
uglyshyla
Ugly Shyla

Ugly Shyla and Ugly Art Dolls

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2006 08:03:44 PM »

Sometimes what I do is if I use a printed fabric I find a fabric that matches the base color of the fabric and use that for parts like the back of the bodice and to make the sleeves of the dress.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Find me on most social media under @uglyshyla
Doll and Art Etsy
http://uglyartdotnet.etsy.com
Website http://www.uglyart.net
My famous Painting Squirrel http://www.facebook.com/winkelthesquirrel
huongandmatthew
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2006 08:24:19 PM »

wow! i thought this post had died Cry.  thanks guys, that's a good idea using coordinating fabrics, but I managed to find the same fabric at another joanns (hooray!).  I realized, after looking at the pattern again, that the bodice had inch ruler looking markings for shortening the bodice length and the shoulder width.  Would this make the dress more fitted for me?  I'm not sure what shortening the shoulder width would do.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pinkpoodle230
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2006 01:59:03 PM »

wow thatts really fantastic! I love the vintage patterns  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
xfoxglove
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2007 10:33:09 PM »

I've had this thread bookmarked since before I was even a craftster member.  That's how much I love this dress.

Did you ever make the second one?  Have pictures? 

(& would you mind sharing the pattern number?  I can't quite see it.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

myspace.com/xfoxglove
cleandirty
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2007 10:25:33 AM »

wow! i thought this post had died Cry.  thanks guys, that's a good idea using coordinating fabrics, but I managed to find the same fabric at another joanns (hooray!).  I realized, after looking at the pattern again, that the bodice had inch ruler looking markings for shortening the bodice length and the shoulder width.  Would this make the dress more fitted for me?  I'm not sure what shortening the shoulder width would do.

Shortening the shoulder width will make the dress more fitted.  I can't quite see where the sleeve cap is falling on you, but it does look a little bit low.  try pinning the shoulders so the way the dress looks on you matches the pattern illustration a bit more closely and see how you like that . . .

However, if you're having fitting problems regarding boobage, the darts are to blame.  You would have to make the dart shallower to correct this, which is not hard but I am a bad explainanator, and suspect my words would probably fail to aid you. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I know a girl, who had premarital sex?  Do you know what she did on graduation day?  DIED! -- Mr. Weir, Freaks and Geeks
huongandmatthew
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2007 07:22:32 PM »

wow. I seriously haven't been on for a year. I miss it!  The pattern number is 6339 but I would do a search on ebay for a "vintage wrap dress pattern" or something like that.  I haven't been able to work on it but I'm planning to finish it by this weekend (hopefully, I haven't sewn for a year). 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mcorwin
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2007 04:25:42 PM »

Ooooh oooh I love this dress!  I think with a more fitted bust and shorter skirt it will be awesome! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

huongandmatthew
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2007 10:57:17 AM »

okay so I didn't really finish it that weekend did i?  But I have worked on it and all I need to do now are the sleeves and ties.  But I've run into the same sizing problem with the bust.  Its too big!  I figured I could sew in the darts more???  The waist may be to big as well but a belt can fix that, or sewing in the sides.  I don't know, any suggestions would be great! pics of work in progress comin up soon!

okay here is a pic with no sleeves:

« Last Edit: December 31, 2009 01:25:38 PM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed a coding issue » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Curry Chicken Salad
Chicken Broccoli Stir Fry Recipe
How to Make Chicken & Beef Lo Mein
Shrimp Curry Recipe
Vegetarian Saag Aloo Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie
Amazing Altered Puzzles
Meatless Monday: Cottage Cheese Mousse

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...