A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 296,762
Currently Running With Scissors:
391 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: mom & dad need presents too ]:  (Read 807 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

hubbyoed

I don't like the Cyclops

View Profile
« on: December 05, 2005 11:17:29 AM »

Holiday time always brings this problem - I don't know what to buy my parents.

They're both forty-five, both work at the same company (my dad is the founder) & they have everything. We're in the middle of remodeling our house too, so I can't do something decorative that'll take up a lot of space. Neither have any specific hobbies. My dad likes to bike, skii & play guitar. My mom really likes Law & Order & staying in. All I can do is sew & maybe put together collages, but I'd prefer the first.

Any help will be GREATLY appreciated.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

gerbilonwheels
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2005 12:07:41 PM »

Does your father bike through the winter? You should sew a bike hat. It's something to keep your ears and head warm while you bike under your helmet. So it doesn't interfere with helmet safety it should be thin around the majority but thick around the ears and can possibly cover the neck if you wish. I have one, and I love it. For your mother, I'm not quite sure, but if she watches a lot of television, a lap blanket is always a good idea. Also, one can never have enough hot pads (If you do a set of twelve- one for each month- with different holiday/seasonal patterns they aren't restricted to match the decor of their kitchen).
THIS ROCKS   Logged
GloryB
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I have a sewing machine, and I know how to use it

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2005 12:14:19 PM »

Do your parents collect anything?  For instance, I collect art glass birds, my late DH collected die cast classic cars.  So the kids always have had that to fall back on when they get stumped
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hubbyoed

I don't like the Cyclops

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2005 11:11:46 AM »

Do your parents collect anything?  For instance, I collect art glass birds, my late DH collected die cast classic cars.  So the kids always have had that to fall back on when they get stumped
unfortunately not anything I can afford. My dad collects Guitars & bikes. I think I can scrape something up from the Law & order swap for my mom, but I'm still clueless about him. ]:
THIS ROCKS   Logged

gerbilonwheels
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2005 11:47:51 AM »

This isn't a main gift suggestion, but my aunt always throws in catalogues for things I like in my Christmas box. For instance, I really like See's chocolate but can't get them where I live so she puts the latest catalogue in the box for me or catalogues for random artisan yarns etc. You should pick up some catalogues of this year's Bianchi, Canondale, Specialized lines for him to drool over (especially the Bianchi Pista concept. oooo soooo nice).
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tamagotchi
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2005 03:44:26 PM »

ohhh, I feel for you!  I have parents that are almost impossible to buy for as well.  The lap blanket sounds like a good idea, or maybe a little TV tray for eating in bed or doing projects or whatever while watching Law & Order.  Matching TV trays (nice ones) as a set, maybe, served with breakfast in bed?  My dad has recently got into Sudoku, which is like a crossword puzzle involving numbers, so maybe your parents might be into that.  I assume you're looking for something tasteful, but if you wanted something silly you could make them matching tshirts, like "I heart skiing and -->" for him and "I heart Law & Order and <--" for her.  Ok, maybe that's too ridiculous...  My parents have this obnoxious dog that they absolutely dote on, so whenever I'm completely stumped I buy things for the dog, like little gourmet dog biscuits.  They like that.  Also been successful in the past: grow-your-own bonsai tree kit (they actually fought over that one), themed gifts of fancy food, and those little snakes that you put at the bottoms of doors to keep the drafts out.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ravelry username = tamagotchi
bulimicgoat
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2005 04:20:56 PM »

You mentioned that he likes to collect guitars,

maybe you could whip out a cool guitar strap for him?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
robotsxcanxlovextoo
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2006 08:40:40 AM »

My mom likes law and order so i drew a collage of all the peoples faces in SVU
She liked it and she hung it up....whee
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I too am strange and unusual...
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
DIY Olive Oil And Honey Face Mask
Flaunt Your Summer Manicure With These 7 Showstopping Shades
How to Properly Contour Your Nose
Top Picks For Best Face Makeup And Body Lotion
How Much Sunscreen Do You Need to Apply Daily?
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Quick and Easy Organizer
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...